Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pics of my install

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 06:28 PM
og muddbone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of my install

Hello to all,

This will be my first attempt at trying to load some picks. let me know if it works. I think I still have some more pics on another pc I look for those later. I tried to keep it simple this time around. This my first install in my Z. I have numerous other system's going back to at least 15 years. I left the car audio scene for a few years but I still got my decibels from my street bike mufflers until I meet up with a 1980 Odlsmobile a few years ago and it wasn't pretty. After some rehab and physical threapy I got my clutch leg working I preordered my Baby. Since I couldn't walk for a while I got a chance to get back into car audio by reading mags and dicovering the world of forums. Things changes some much it since I left the scene I didn't know what to buy at first. Feel free to give input on my choice in gear as well as the install. I did every thing myself and I decided to go for sound quality this time. I don't compete or anything like like I just like to build stuff and listen to my **** crystal clear with some bump and still get loud some times. Here's a list of the equipment I choose.
Head unit I bought on sale right after my accident for cheap but it was new and before I found out about those sick double din screens oh well I like like. I still need to get a screen which will come later in the cubby.
Head unit: Rockford DVD1
Front Speakers: CDT HD-62
Sub: Phoenix Gold X10d2
Amp: Phoenix Gold X200.4
Wire: O gauge to Dblock then 4gauge to amp 12 gauge everywhere else.

I gonna try my hand at the photo's now:

Here's the head unit sorry about the glare.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-9/1079993/350z.jpg

Here's the sub. Did some mods to the trunk space since I have no need for the spare. She sit's on 19's wrapped in Nittos 555's.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z019.jpg

More photos to come if these turn out..........

Last edited by og muddbone; 09-19-2005 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I messed up on trying to host my Pictures.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 PM
og muddbone

Default More Pics

Here are some shots of the sub up close, some of the shots are of how I was gonna mount the sub at first in a different box behind the strut bar that I made but I didn't like the sound so I moved the woofer under the bar facing up and then I made the new box and inverted the sub cause the assend is sexy to me.Now it pounds! and most of the bass is up front. The sub is crossed over at 75hz on the head unit. The box is sealed tight and has egg crate type foam on the inside walls as well as some sound damping material. The trunk has a couple of layers good old P&S as well as some other stuff i found at the home depot. With the new box in at first I was driving around listening to some bass heavy tracks and I could feel the bass in my pedals as I sat at a light wit the music up close to the half mark and I thought something might have been wrong but then it came back to me, that bass that I love. Please excuse me but I am a rerformed basshead but a little every now in then don't hurt....

New box
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z019.jpg

Up close left side
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z020.jpg

Up close right side
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z021.jpg

First set up just didn't Shake the car as well as the new box.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z006.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z007.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z008.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z009.jpg

Here's how I was gonna mount the amp and sub at first
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z005.jpg

More photos to come....
Old 09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

NO offense, but that looks ghetto!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:56 PM
og muddbone

zand02max NO offense, but that looks ghetto!

No offense taken. As I stated I did it myself and made no claim's to have spent thousands nor to be a professional at this I just did it and I like it and it was cheap. Let me know what exactly looks ghetto...and your input on how you would correct it?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM
350Mark

Yikes! I applaud the effort but it looks like you rushed it!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by og muddbone
No offense taken. As I stated I did it myself and made no claim's to have spent thousands nor to be a professional at this I just did it and I like it and it was cheap. Let me know what exactly looks ghetto...and your input on how you would correct it?
The box is def. not carpeted correctly.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:25 PM
dannichols

errr......So the second set of pictures is the old setup, and the "New Box" represents the way you currently have the sub mounted?

Something doesn't look right with that new box...like for one it looks too padded and unsturdy..and too small. Did you use MDF, fiberglass, or "the box that the sub came in?"
Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
og muddbone

QUOTE]zand02maxThe box is def. not carpeted correctly.[/QUOTE] It is my first attempt at vinlye in the picture where the sub is inverted. The second set of photos where I said it was the first one in the grey carpet was just to see how the sub whould sound faced in that position. I didn' t like the sound of the bass facing the rear.

Dan,

As said above first try with vinyl type material and it looks its a little puffy but its bolted down if thats what you meant by strudy and it is made of 3/4 mdf, drywall screws, gorilla glue and caulking so kind of confused about unsturdy if your talking about the box with the sub inverted. The box is about .50ft^3 or so which is what is recommended by PG for SPL and the subs sound best to me in the smaller box. I might have did my calculations wrong but how big is .50ft^3 supposed to be. How much air space is your box, not being a smart *** but I remember seeing it before is all and mine is not much samller than yours if you see it with the covering.

I didn't really rush it through it as I said before and I am not done but I like it so far. Not to sound like an *** but it doesn't look stock or like I just added a subwoofer under the floor board or bought one of those Z enclosures and maybe when it's done it might look better in person but folks who have seen it so far said they liked it and meant or lied it doesn't really matter. But Please keep the critcism coming...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 PM
G352NV

Bro Im really sorry! I know you put a lot of time into this and for that I give you props. I guess you can take what you've learned and progress the next time you do a install. Just a FYI there are a lot of us on this site that have done installs and will help you take the guess work out of it. Thats what were here for. If it were ME I would tear it out and try again. You have to crawl before you walk.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what G352nv says.

Props for trying, but I would tear it all down and start over. Use this thread as a help/progress log and ask tons of questions, we will be glad to help you dude.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:12 AM
WhiteZed

im glad people were saying what i was thinking

you want some advice

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....9&page=1&pp=20
Old 09-20-2005, 05:33 AM
10secapsttz
Banned

Very sloppy install
Old 09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Exta_Z

Dude...i speak on behalf of everyone on this forum when i say "What the ***** did you do?" I can understand that you wanted to do this yourself and all...but damn homie...that doesn't look very presentable. What ever floats your boat...just my two cents!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
NewZland

how about people don't say anything unless you have something constructive to say instead of "damn yo dat shiznit looks teh ghetto"...i applaud your efforts dude...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:18 PM
B-Unit

i applaud the effort but more time needs to be spent before anyone will be giving compliments.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:03 PM
WhiteZed

how can you say not to say dude it look crap, did you see the pictures?

it does look strange / original / bouncy / comfortable

the zed isnt exactly a cheap piece of crap of a car, you would want some quality looking audio setup to compliment the car,

he asked for opinions,
my opinion is i do not like it, he asked what could be done to correct it,

my opinion would be more of a stealth look,
a) it is taking up unneccisary room
b) i dont like looking at it

if you dont need your trunk space then i would make someting to fill the entire trunk space
if you need trunk space, then a sub and amp under the floor where no one will see it would be great...
Old 09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a good start, at lest he has the basics, Amp, Sub, Box, headunit and got them working. He just needs alot of help in construction and designing so it all flows with the car. og muddbone, there are lots of how-to's and info on this site and other audio sites, that can help. Im sure most the guys on here would help in answering any question you may have about building, fiberglassing, MFD, carpeting, and so on.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
og muddbone

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom and encouragement and the honesty. Now that I have looked at the email I can see how some may think that the second set of photos with the amp in the floor area and sub with grey carpet under the strut is ugly which I agree, I wanted to make sure the equipment worked before I really got into building up stuff. The box was made out of scrap wood to break-in the woofer and to see how it would sound in different positions in the car. I just took photo's along the way and thought I would post them. The only thing that kinda bug's me is the guy who called my car Ghetto- This is what it means in a dictionary.
1."A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

2.An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages."
He is probably as smart the all the news people who refer to hurricane victims as Refugees. Seriously though, I have more photo's let me know if these are as bad as the trunk area. I found some older grills in the garage. They barely fit on the curved shaped, but they don't block any sound like the stock ones. As far as the yellow in the background that is moldeling clay around the MDF rings. The store was out of black clay so I had to get yellow. I have since bought black clay so no need to point it out. Let me know what you think.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z016.jpg

Here is the tweet and crossover in the kicks. The tweets sound real good below the dash and close to the woofer.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z015.jpg

Here is a shot of the drivers side.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...93/350z018.jpg

I am gonna do some remolding of the back area when I get some more free time and the Dr. say's I lift and move stuff again. If I could just rip it out and start all over I would but it ain't that easy and I like to look at the rear end of my sub anyway. I may try to buy some vinyl without any backing if they sell it around here cause you guy's seem to hate the puffy look.
As always fell free to tear up these photos as well.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Exta_Z

og muddbone,
Ignore my last post...i am not trying to put u down bro....just take things one step at a time...you can't walk if you haven't learned to crawl! My recommendation would be to write down everything you want involved in your system on a piece of paper. Then take things step by step and have one thing installed at a time for a cleaner look. You dont have to hurry to finish this...but like i said before, whatever floats your boat! Just remmember, the 350Z is not a "cheap parts" car to be ruining interior parts with...OEM plastics will cost u a pretty penny thourgh Nissan!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:04 PM
dannichols

Sorry for being one who got on you Muddbone. I do think you have some quality components and perhaps the camera you have just made the trunk area look odd. Don't know, but I DO like your front setup. Actually you and I have a lot of similarity there. I have new CDT HDs also and also have the tweets in the kicks..good choice. I would also recommend the Add-on Upfront imaging kit with a second set of tweets up on the Dash.

Regarding the crossovers. Are they the standard ones that come with the HD set or are they the US version with Upfront built in?

Lastly, I wasn't one to say ghetto, but I wouldn't take it as seriously as Nazisim. It is moreso a common slang term used nowadays to refer to things that look handmade. I do think you have the basics to build an awesopme system and I would only suggest spending a bit more time on the trunk to get it looking clean.

Also, you mentioned modeling clay which peculiarly enough is also something we share in common. I used it as a first step to position and mount the mid-ranges. It allowed me to build up one side higher and one side lower to point the mids at the driver. I then baked the clay and used it as a template to make MDF rings from. Is this what you did and if so how come the modeling clay is still attached??

Dan

Quick Reply: Pics of my install