Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Headunit install-doesnt work/elec. gauge no work

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:42 AM
no6thgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit install-doesnt work/elec. gauge no work

I installed my new headunit....got wiring harness and dash kit from crutchfield and got my stuff at best buy. I connected the wires to the wiring harness as suggested and the headunit doesnt power up. Also my electronic gauge doesnt work now either once i put my dash back in.....The other 2 gauges work though. I was going to bring it to have it installed now since i must have messed up. Though im thinking it must be a missed power wire somewhere because the gauge now doesnt work? Any comments or suggestions please?

i also didnt connect the speakers to the wire harness because im useing external amp....do i need to hook those up or not? Just throwing that out there cuz i really want to figure out whats wrong so i can finish up.

Last edited by no6thgear; 09-29-2005 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Joeys_z

Sorry I really can't help you....sounds like you forgot to connect one of the many terminals you have to disconnect to do this job....all of a sudden the 50 dollar install fee doesn't seem so bad!?!?!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Kanyon71

My suggestion would be go back over everything you did including the the initial portion tha you took everything apart, trace all the wires, make sure that everything that can be plugged in is plugged in. You can also try a volt meter or even a simple test light to make sure everything thats supposed to have power does and also everything thats supposed to be grounded it. Also you can check your fuses to make sure you didn't blow one of them. If you did and you replace it and it blows again then most likely you have something crossed, which hopefully you found when you where retracing your steps earlier.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the "electric gauge" do you mean the multi-function "unified" gauge in the left of the triple dash cluster? The three guages share a common connector so that's not the problem.

Check through your fuses to see if you didn't pop one. If you didn't disconnect the ground wire from the battery that is a common problem. That one popped fuse might feed both the gauge and the headend. Check all your other electrical "stuff" like the mirrors, seat heater, trunk release, fuel door release and the like looking for other junk that's also not working. Nissian shares fuses with groups of devices so that would lead you to think that it was a fuse problem vice a wiring issue.

Also check the AC to see if it goes on and off. If the Unified Meter/AC Amp is disconnected the gauge isn't going to work but it's also going to knock out your air conditioning too. The module is just under the radio at the bottom of the dash and it pretty easy to have left unplugged if you were down there.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 AM
no6thgear

Thanks guys i thought it was because i didnt ground it....well i grounded it and still no power on. So ill check fuses when i get out of work It has to be that. Ac still blows air, not sure if a/c actually kicks on but it got the fog off the windows after i just steamed them up from rippng apart dash again while its raining.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
no6thgear

I checked the fuse....the radio fuse was blown. Replaced it.....still no work. checked again it wasnt blown....few minutes alter after messing with it....blown again. I know its all hooked up right and i even grounded it.......i just dont understand. Faulty headunit?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
need Z

Have you gone and rechecked all your connections to make sure they aren't crossing (and faulting) with other wires?

I just installed my h/u from crutchfield the other day. Their install instructions sucked.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
no6thgear

yes i did it with headunit stll out lookin at all wires still no work....im gettin diff headunit tomm. hopefully
Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuse is blowing constantly, your ground could be messed up (thick black wire). Make sure it is tight.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:54 PM
no6thgear

Where should i ground to? I cant really find any good grounds in there.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
need Z

When you pop out the shifter console and look inside you will see a white piece (the one that has a ribbon harnessed to the shifter console). It has 2 screws holding it down. Look to the left or right of either of those screws.

There should be two metal screws that are mounted to a metal bracket. I put my ground on one of those screws (under the screw and above the bracket) and it is working fine.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:10 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by no6thgear
Where should i ground to? I cant really find any good grounds in there.
If the right aftermarket harness adapter is used to link HU to the factory harness and connections are solid, grounding isn't really an issue as it just uses factory grounds, which are always ideal. I was wondering whether you connected the two black ground wires (between the HU harness and the adapter harness) tightly enough. Not trying to imply anything, but HU installs rarely go bad if nothing else is being added (amps, subs, etc.). Let us know when you try a new HU as yours could very well be faulty.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:15 AM
no6thgear

I just reinstalled the factory headunit.....and it doesnt work. No fuse blown....it did have power because i could pop the cd out. But it wouldnt turn on.....i plugged in both wire harnesses. Gauge still doesnt work. wtf!?!?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:17 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

A bad ground isn't going to draw MORE current to cause a fuse to blow. You have something from the +12V touching ground or you've got something mis-wired. The short circuit is in the ignition controlled circuit and not the constant on memory circuit. Could be the power antenna wire left open and touching something too.

Recheck all your wires again assuming that nothing is correct. Make sure you've got the +12 power input, amplifier turn-on, and power antenna wires well insulated.

For ground I added a lenght of coax cable shield from the back of my headend to the central dash grounding point which is behind where the triple gauge cluster is.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:45 AM
no6thgear

I installed factory headunit, just plugged the stock harnesses back in. The stock headunit doesnt work, same with my gauge. Also the dash lights dont turn on when i turn on my headlights. Are there any other fuse boxes besides the one under the hood next to the battery?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Are there any other fuse boxes besides the one under the hood next to the battery?
Yes - look at the drawing above in the lower right-hand corner. J/K is the fuse box under the kick panel next to the driver's left foot.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:47 PM
no6thgear

I just checked all the fuses in interior fuse box....I dont want to have to take it to nissan which is what ill have to do now. Any other ideas?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:12 PM
gabez33

Default Wtf!!!!

I just checked all the fuses in interior fuse box....I dont want to have to take it to nissan which is what ill have to do now. Any other ideas?

Hey 6th gear whats up?? I have the same exact prob man! Except my ac is stuck blowing on high, rpm and mph guage dont work, turn signal light up arrows dont work, ABS VDC SLIP BRAKE light all on, odometer and trip stop working, third guage closest to me on the cluster dont work, "manual mode shifting doesnt work, temp display doesnt work, FUEL WORKS and CD PLAYER WORKs.....I dont know what went wrong been through everything at least ten times with other people too and they say everyhting looks right... ......... HELP SOMEONE please
Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM
accordfreak

I have a g35 coupe and i have a simliar problem. the power wire to turn on the headunit isn't 12v anymore. so my headunit, a/c control, and the lights for the gauges don't work. When I tap into a 12v source and tap in to the radio 12v wire that powers up the headunit, everything works.

right now i'm trying to trace back what i shorted...

when i find the problem i'll let you know.. hopefully you can find the problem too.. might be the same problem
Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 PM
gabez33

Wow nice g35 man! that is a hot ride...Thanks ACCORD FREAK...am gonna start retracing my steps (tonight) again and I will also let you know if I find something...

Quick Reply: Headunit install-doesnt work/elec. gauge no work