Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dynamat or eDead

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Rasengan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamat or eDead

sorry for multiple audio threads tonight but i just brought my car into my installer shop yet again and he's wanting to charge me $300-$400 for parts alone on Dynamat...did some research online and found some people on ecoustics saying eDead is just as good at only $1 per sq foot...anyone have experience with this product? also, if you have Dynamatted your car, how much total parts and labor did it end up costing?

just doing some price comparisons
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
seMshiNguMi

Bulk pack of dynamat extreme cost: $135
Labor cost done by my self: $0

I did my doors, trunk area and hatch. It took some time to do but it wasn't hard. Just be careful when popping off the plastic pieces not to break any of the clips. I forgot the name of the website that sold the dynamat but its located in SoCal. Just google dynamat and you should find it.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 PM
imalazeeass

does dynomat really help that much? I'm assuming it reduces rattle right? In my opinion, dynomat is really expensive but I figured since so many people are using it it must be good. Any little reviews? Does the car still rattle after putting on dynomat? How much do you guys do anyways for a decent amount of reduction? I was only thinking about doing my trunk area...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:55 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

i bought 100ft of fatmat, came w/cleaner,roller,blade for 9X.XX shipped. it works great, has a asphalt smell at first. sound deadner is totally worth every penny, especially in a z(loud road noise). also gives your doors a very solid thud when closed. go for it you wont be disappointed, as stated it just takes time, do it yourself all the way. bytw got fatmat off ebay. dynamat is overpriced due to the name, they were one of the first for sound dead'ing. good luck.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
imalazeeass

edit: sorry just noticed u said u got it off bay. nevermind
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM
seMshiNguMi

Ya definitely worth every penny...just use the search button on either brand you decide to use for the best way to install it and what areas are crucial. Btw, the hatch will rattle if you have a high powered sub so I suggest installing some there also.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Rasengan

Originally Posted by seMshiNguMi
Ya definitely worth every penny...just use the search button on either brand you decide to use for the best way to install it and what areas are crucial. Btw, the hatch will rattle if you have a high powered sub so I suggest installing some there also.
thanks for the reply....so what areas did you mat exactly? i'm assuming the doors, the hatch, and those areas behind the seats? did you also do the strut? when you tap on that it sounds like a lot of rattles would come from there
Old 02-08-2006, 04:29 AM
djnc

i got some eDead V1, but i haven't put it in yet...i've heard great things about eDead, so we'll see
Old 02-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Dynamat Extreme and did the whole rear of my car, under the carpet in the front, the doors and the hatch. Very worth it.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:24 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Thumbs up Edead v3

I used edead v3 (the liquid deadener) and this stuff works amazingly well...it completely changed the way my speakers sounded and with zero vibration. I bought one can for like 60 bucks and did both of my doors (3 coats each) and the entire trunk area and I still have some left over. Highly recommended
Old 02-08-2006, 05:50 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Two bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme for me.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in most of two 75 sq.ft. rolls of fat mat in my car and the sounds are much better. The road noise is reduced a bunch. I put a layer on undernieth the front wheel wells and three layers on the rears. I did everything behind the seats sealing the floor and up the sides a bunch. I did a bit in the doors but was warned not to open up the steel inner skin as there's an alignment issue of some sort following the inner skin removal. I also put polyfoam stuffing in the doors and a bit in the back around the luggage cubby.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:47 AM
GQ 350z

So this "heavy" door feeling phenomenon...is that true?

I recently sat in a G35 install, where the doors were NOT dampened, and it felt solid as hell compared to my Z for some reason.

I want that same level of quietness. The road-noise is simply unacceptable, as are the associated vibrations with my soon to be "new" install hahaha

Thanks for the help.

ravi
Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out

b-quiet.com

Their Bquiet-Ultimate is a grade above D-Mat Extreme. ALSO, Check out their V-Comp and L-Comp Product if you really want to cut down rattles.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Dr.Z

Honestly, the stuff is a tar like substance with a dead-soft metal covering, and I think any type you get will work. If you're just trying to quiet things, and aren't into huge audio competitions, I would think the brand wouldn't matter much. Go with what's cheapest.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:44 AM
rotaryrocket7

B-Quiet is a great source, adn they have multiple products for applications. Dynamat will add richness & deepness to sound in the car, it will only reduce rattling to a degree, depending on the type of rattle. When two pieces are contacting each other and rattling the best solution is felt inbetween them. If a single piece is vibrating, then adding dynamat to it will add denisty and change the tone of the rattle to a lower Hz making the rattle less noticable, at some point it will be inaudible for the ear (below 20Hz) I believe. B-quiet also offers noise reduction materials (b-comp and V-comp) I believe, that are open and closed cell foams to trap and eliminate noise. These are used to reduce overall cockpit noise from tires running on the road etc...

Dynamat extreme, B-Quiet, Brown Bead, and even flashing material for roofs are all the same compound, the car specific applications just remove a portion of the checmical makeup to reduce the "tar" smell.

I used a dynamat pack that I got really cheap, or I wouldn't have used Dynamat at all (B-Quiet would have been my choice for least expensive option). I also used the flashing material from Home depot (do search). It did not smell much, and I left the panels off for a day after applying to let it cure. I have never smelt the "tar" smell that others have questioned, my car still smells brand new.

Sorry this is so long, but when I was researching my options I spent alot of time reading etc.. to find my solution, I figured I'd give you most of what you're looking for in one place