Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Please Help! NEED more volume!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:56 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help! NEED more volume!

I have a non-Blose system, and I have a need for more than the 31 on the volume selector!

I'm reasonably happy with the factory OEM sound quality, but I want MORE volume.

Stopped by an audio shop today, and they recommended replacing the front speakers with Alpine SPR-176A's, and an Eclipse 33230 amp. All the pieces looked beautiful, price is acceptable, but I could not find in a search anyone using these components.

Please, does anyone have any experience with these components? If they are crap, please advise. If so, what is better and why?

I mainly listen to "Classic" rock, no "Hip-Hop" or rap crap, so I do not feel a need for mega base.

I did do a search, but, as usual, found a bunch of unrelated links...anyone know a good link?
Old 01-24-2003, 03:09 PM
maximadave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please Help! NEED more volume!

Originally posted by EnthuZ
I have a non-Blose system, and I have a need for more than the 31 on the volume selector!

I'm reasonably happy with the factory OEM sound quality, but I want MORE volume.

Stopped by an audio shop today, and they recommended replacing the front speakers with Alpine SPR-176A's, and an Eclipse 33230 amp. All the pieces looked beautiful, price is acceptable, but I could not find in a search anyone using these components.

Please, does anyone have any experience with these components? If they are crap, please advise. If so, what is better and why?

I mainly listen to "Classic" rock, no "Hip-Hop" or rap crap, so I do not feel a need for mega base.

I did do a search, but, as usual, found a bunch of unrelated links...anyone know a good link?
The Alpine 176a's are nice but they are only coaxial speakers (2-way). See if the shop carries the Alpine seperates, or even better JL VR or XR seperates or Boston Acoustics. They will sound better than the Alpines.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Thanks for the reply, BUT, the SPR-176A's ARE separates! I saw them!

Why/how are the Boston Acoustics/JL better?

I'm not looking for MAX brightness/clearity.....leaning more towards clearity with a bit of warmth, with improved soundstaging.

Sorry for all the nube questions.....I haven't upgraded a car audio in 25 years..........
Old 01-24-2003, 03:34 PM
maximadave

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Thanks for the reply, BUT, the SPR-176A's ARE separates! I saw them!

Why/how are the Boston Acoustics/JL better?

I'm not looking for MAX brightness/clearity.....leaning more towards clearity with a bit of warmth, with improved soundstaging.

Sorry for all the nube questions.....I haven't upgraded a car audio in 25 years..........
...my bad. I had some SPR172A's a long time ago and they were coaxials. I saw the 176's on Alpine's site. Nice speaker! It all boils down to what speakers are tuned for you and your music. Alpine does not make a bad speaker. Listen to the Bostons or JL's to see if they sound any better to you. I prefer either Boston or JL's becuase all they make is speakers!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:00 PM
jabroney12

Actually the Alpine speakers are okay, they make better HUs and subs. If you need to get alpine speakers look into the new Type X model their an upgrade from the type Rs which I heard the tweeters suck for those comps. JLs are the best for the money, I heard the entry line VR at the CES booth and they rival any $250- $300 speaker and thats their lowest model!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 04:12 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Thanks again for the feedback! No comments on the Eclipse 33230 Amp?

I did some more shopping, and I got to hear JL VR650-CSi's, powered by a JL 300/2 Amp........I did like the sound VERY much....very clear, yet nice and warm, with soft/sweet highs. I've noticed many are using their XR components, but aren't they brighter?

So, my current selection is the 300/2, mounted behind driver's seat, powering the front VR650-CSi's, stock HU powering the 32 ohm rears(I like a front soundstage), Monster cables all over, and DynaMat the sh#t out of the doors. Drive it like this and see if I need to add a 10IB4 in stock woofer position. Probably powered by a 250/1 or 500/1. I've never had a sub, so I SHOULD be happy without one. And last, maybe an Alpine HU.

More shopping today........
Old 02-02-2003, 12:05 AM
dczoner

I'm planning on the eclipse 33230 or the sister amp (not sure which one is which, they're like 10 digits off from each other). If you need more volume, I might reccomend just doing amp first, getting the sound level that you're looking for. Also, if you actually do want a clean rock sound at high volumes I would always reccomend JL or Boston before Alpine for peak power performance. . . The JL's will handle the most, the Bostons aren't quite as strong but they are a little cleaner.

Really though, I've never been happy with about anything from Alpine, and I sold them for YEARS! I would go with eclipse for amp if you're on a tighter budget, but if you can afford the JL, do it, better power delivery, better amp section. Also, don't ever discount the need for a sub! The fact is you don't REALIZE how much of the sound you're missing, but I never in my life had a customer who had a sub for a while come back to me and tell me they wanted a system without one. It just makes the sound all the more balanced. Remember, a properly installed subwoofer is not supposed to remove any sound from your system, its supposed to improve your low end response, which in turn (after properly crossing over the signal) devotes your mains to mids&highs. Driving a low note through your main speakers is what will actually cause your system to sound *muddy* or bass-heavy, not adding a small (8" or 10") sub with a moderate amp (those JL's are probably a lot more than you need)...

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2003, 06:30 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Saying Bostons won't handle as much as JL speakers is like saying a Bishop is more Catholic then the Pope. I'd personally take Boston speakers over JLs any day because they are way better at reproducing sound then JLs but both will handle an incredible amount of power (I've put 300+ watts to my Pro 6.5s with nothing but great results and likewise I've put 200watts to JLs with horrible results - way different amps though so I don't take too much stock in the comparison, still eye opening though).

Enthuz - if you want a warm sounding speaker either go with JL seperates or Boston Rallys. Boston Pros & References are way to clean to give the warmth you're looking for (unless you really screw around with your bass/mid controls but I highly recommend leaving them all flat). Boston Rallys (RC620s) have an incredible amount of mid-bass and are a really warm sounding speaker (they play old school jazz, classic rock, rap, rock, etc.. very well). Obviously with a warmer sounding speaker you're going to loose the super clairity to accurately reproduce clean sounds like fusion, contemperary jazz, etc..... but it sounds like this is what you are looking for. The Rallys I believe are around $299 or less a pop (I could be wrong though) which is way cheaper then Pros at $450 or References at $900.

If you do want the warmer sounding speakers I'd definitely go with the JLs or the Boston Rally series. Also take a look at Diamonds, they've got a nice warm tone as well. I think focals and Polks are also worth looking at. I'm not a huge fan of Alpine speakers but the Type R and Type Xs aren't that bad. The best thing to do is listen to as much as you can and go from there. Remember though, listening to speakers in a store is way different then in a car so do your best to make everything equal (same song(s), close to the same amp, and same HU), any change can have drastic effects.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:09 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Well, thanks for all the info men! I went to a couple more shops, and got to hear a full Alpine set up, and some more Boston speakers. This car stereo shopping is a *****! Most demo rooms aren't working, how the heck am I supposed to decide on different pieces if they aren't hooked up? Plus, all will sound different in the Z, vs. the demo room, or a 4 door sedan for that manner! When I did a major home STEREO upgrade a few years ago, I enjoyed the luxury of taking each piece home to try.....$12,000 later, I'm happy

JL speakers have been getting very good reviews here, and I like them, sooooooooooo, they are going in today!!!!Along with the 300/2!!!!!! The installer/salesman were very knowledgeable and helpful, and the prices were more than competitive, so Tweeter gets my business.

As for a Sub, I will wait for a group buy for an enclosure....I think. I want to hear a good non-sub system sounds like for a while first. Heck, I may decide to splurge on a better HU next! The FantomFace Alpine's are tickling my fancy!

Wish me luck with phase #1.