Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Carputer / In-car PC

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
WHat do you mean by the controler was going to be rigged with the headunit buttons? Can you provide some more info?

Your headunit looks hot with white LED's BTW
Thanks!

The concept is just a theory at the moment. I bought a PC keyboard that has some essential media keys like volume, mute, play, stop, etc. I took it apart and traced the keys and buttons to to the keyboard controller. It is a relatively small PCB which makes it possible to continue this project.

The keyboard I have has a rotary volume control **** (rotary decoder). The initial step will be to wire the headunit volume control to the keyboard controller, and see how well it will work. If it doesn't work, then it'll require some mod work. The push button feature of the volume control actuates an internal switch (two different pins - one of them being ground). This will be rigged to the PS_ON pin of the motherboard for soft on/off.

I removed the entire section of the PCB where the LCD used to be. I need to do more filing work to get the Matrix Orbital (blue/white 2 line serial display) LCD module to fit.

The motherboard if choice will be a mini-ITX type that will fit inside the headunit location (in theory). I will be using a modified Sound Blaster Live/Audigy PCI sound card. Why modified? I swapped out the cheepy op amps with more expensive Burr Brown ones. Good gawd, the dynamic range is incredible! Super deep bass

For audio, I'd plan to use a monoblock amp for the sub and a 4ch amp for the front and rear channels. Despite the lack of a center channel, it is possible to set the computer to 4.1 channels. In PowerDVD, leave it at 5.1 decoding. The soundcard will downmix the center channel audio information to the front speakers. By doing this, you won't lose the subwoofer signal if you set it to "4 channel" in PowerDVD. Trust me on this one...

PM me if you would like additional information and pictures of what I have so far. I have NEVER built a computer for the car, but I love building HTPC. Mine currently has remote on/off with a Sony remote using a homemade IR receiver.(Imagine playing Half Life 2 @ 1280x720 or Super Mario Bros. on a 62" DLP TV... evil laugh!)

I have lots of ideas and tips... so please let me know!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are crazy my friend!

Maybe you can help me with some problems im having with my carputer setup, I'm going to shoot you a PM
Old 03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
DIGItonium

Lol.. I was told the same thing with my gauge mod using Luxeons.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Yes, yes. Luxeons rule!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
BhashaZ

Okay, so I'm going to bring this thread back up since I think I will be going ahead and proceeding with this. I have 2 places I need your guys' input for:

1. Should I go with option A or option B? One is probably less headache, the other is probably less money (although I have a feeling that both of them will cause me some headache, and they definately cost a good amount of money).

2. How much will installation be? And can anybody recommend a person/place in SoCal? I really don't have time to do this myself since I'm working and taking care of other business. So if you say it's easy and I can do it myself, then maybe you can lend me a hand it do it for me! lol

Here are the choices of PC's:

Option A

Aopen Pandora MiniPC MP915-B CD / DVD Combo Drive - $667.96
- Intel Celeron M 370 1.5GHz
- 512MB DDR2 PC2-4200 SODIMM
- 2.5" Hard Drive 60GV Samsung 54000rpm
- Aopen Mini-PCI Wifi Card 802.11 B/G
- Carnetix CNX-P1900 140W DC-DC PSU
- Build & Test

HQCT: (High Quality Car Tuner) - $149.99

BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver - $75.00

Pac AAI-NIS2 - Nissan and Infinity Audio Input - $84.99 <-- I actually need a different one..

Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor with touchscreen and video inputs - $388.95

StreetDeck (North America) with Development tools - $199.99

USBBT100 Linksys USB Bluetooth Adapter - $55.00

OPTION A TOTAL: $1,621.88

Option B

StreetDeck Trunk Mount Hardware Bundle - $1,699.00
- Monitor Delete ($320)

HQCT: (High Quality Car Tuner) - $149.99

Pac AAI-NIS2 - Nissan and Infinity Audio Input - $84.99 <-- I actually need a different one..

Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor with touchscreen and video inputs - $388.95

USBBT100 Linksys USB Bluetooth Adapter - $55.00

OPTION B TOTAL: $2,057.93

Money isn't a huge issue. I'd rather just get a good setup that is proven to work instead of dealing with the hassle of constantly upgrading and changing out parts due to incompatibility or poor performance. And since I don't want to deal with installation, the guy/shop must be skilled enough to install and wire up the computer plus the power supply (start-up/shut-down controller).
Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM
nissansource

Well what i just bought is the Infill t3 reason i dont want to hassle with ground loop noise and other crap ive been in the carpc scene just watching and seen installs did my own wasnt satisfied. I finaly spent the cash on 2 infill units one for my pathfinder and one for my Z if i want ill put a lcd vga in my cubby also. I just wanted an all in one solution without the headaches and this has it
Attached Thumbnails Carputer / In-car PC-open_lrg.jpg  
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by nissansource
Well what i just bought is the Infill t3 reason i dont want to hassle with ground loop noise and other crap ive been in the carpc scene just watching and seen installs did my own wasnt satisfied. I finaly spent the cash on 2 infill units one for my pathfinder and one for my Z if i want ill put a lcd vga in my cubby also. I just wanted an all in one solution without the headaches and this has it
Hey, looks like you bought the other all-in-one solution! It's fairly pricey! I would go with it too, however, I want my interior to look as stock as possible. BTW, how is SD working for you? And did you do the installation yourself or did you get it done somewhere?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:20 AM
nissansource

actually they will be here on friday not sure havnt messed with it but seriously i did the pricing and for me to do it the right way almost comes close to the price of the full all in one unit. Plus i wont have many headaces to worry about no line in line out crud to mess with aux, amps vol control this is the answer to all that if you want stop by my house and check it out over the weekend it comes in friday for me 2nd day air
Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
nissansource

btw id be doing the installation myself since its fairly easy just like installing a stereo.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 AM
nissansource

If street deck runs anything like this in their video ill be estatic

http://www.streetdeck.com/preview_media/preview.wmv
Old 07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
BhashaZ

actually they will be here on friday not sure havnt messed with it but seriously i did the pricing and for me to do it the right way almost comes close to the price of the full all in one unit. Plus i wont have many headaces to worry about no line in line out crud to mess with aux, amps vol control this is the answer to all that if you want stop by my house and check it out over the weekend it comes in friday for me 2nd day air
Oh..haha..guess you can't mess with it until you have it! But I guess I kind of have the same reasoning as you to buy the Streetdeck Trunk mount kit + Xenarc versus the Aopen since I know it works. My only concern is connecting it all since when it comes down to electronics and wiring diagrams, I'm going to end up with a Car-B-Que! So that's why although Option B is more expensive for me than Option A, at least I know that it definitely works and all that I need to do is have it mounted and connected to the car versus messing with the Carnetix CNX-P1900.

But I would love to come check out your setup. Does it come with an FM tuner included already? I didn't really look into it since I want to keep my interior stock-looking.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Oh..haha..guess you can't mess with it until you have it! But I guess I kind of have the same reasoning as you to buy the Streetdeck Trunk mount kit + Xenarc versus the Aopen since I know it works. My only concern is connecting it all since when it comes down to electronics and wiring diagrams, I'm going to end up with a Car-B-Que! So that's why although Option B is more expensive for me than Option A, at least I know that it definitely works and all that I need to do is have it mounted and connected to the car versus messing with the Carnetix CNX-P1900.

But I would love to come check out your setup. Does it come with an FM tuner included already? I didn't really look into it since I want to keep my interior stock-looking.

dude the FM tuner is all controled by street deck... wifi built in BG and four usb ports. Wireing is cake i could help you out with whatever solution you want. but if you have the extra cash get the infill but i do understand you want to stay stock looking as posible well... i dunno it really doesnt bother me i just want it to look good. you can even use the second portion of the small lcd screen as a mouse thats what mp3car said when i called. I basicly said straight up if i have the money what would be the best one they chose the infill they arnt making much off the units either retail from the manufacture is like 2699 or something like that so 2199 is fine including Street deck too and also GPS antenna with reciever built in wifi included inside, ah and tv tuner all controlled by SD
Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 AM
BhashaZ

btw id be doing the installation myself since its fairly easy just like installing a stereo.
Do you know if I go with Option B above...is that a pretty straight-forward install? How much should I look to pay someone?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
BhashaZ

dude the FM tuner is all controled by street deck... wifi built in BG and four usb ports. Wireing is cake i could help you out with whatever solution you want. but if you have the extra cash get the infill but i do understand you want to stay stock looking as posible well... i dunno it really doesnt bother me i just want it to look good. you can even use the second portion of the small lcd screen as a mouse thats what mp3car said when i called. I basicly said straight up if i have the money what would be the best one they chose the infill they arnt making much off the units either retail from the manufacture is like 2699 or something like that so 2199 is fine including Street deck too and also GPS antenna with reciever built in wifi included inside, ah and tv tuner all controlled by SD
But according to http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=238, you still need to buy the FM Tuner Hardware:

Originally Posted by mp3car.com/store
FM Radio (requires FM tuner hardware)
Old 07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
nissansource

option b should be very easy.... if you get the auto power supply just route the 12v to the cubby with the ground and acc. the only pain will be to determin if you use aux imput for a car stereo or you wire the system up directly to amps. but then your gonna need to research a soundcard that will have enough Volts to have decent volume levels in your car and then wire it to the amp. all the transitions of audio volume will be noticeable. thats the main reason i went with this setup. the only thing might be the LCD i never done my Z lcd i have many pics and looks very straight forward. couple beers we can have it nocked out
Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
But according to http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=238, you still need to buy the FM Tuner Hardware:

false i kinda chewed them out about that when i called. They have misinformation up. It does have FM tuner, TV Tuner, Built in WIFI, Built in GPS, And all the antennas needed also has the DVD slot load drive what more can you ask for =) most indash gps run about 1800-2200 this is cheap in my book still put a dent in my wallet but hopefully be worth it
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
BhashaZ

option b should be very easy.... if you get the auto power supply just route the 12v to the cubby with the ground and acc. the only pain will be to determin if you use aux imput for a car stereo or you wire the system up directly to amps. but then your gonna need to research a soundcard that will have enough Volts to have decent volume levels in your car and then wire it to the amp. all the transitions of audio volume will be noticeable. thats the main reason i went with this setup. the only thing might be the LCD i never done my Z lcd i have many pics and looks very straight forward. couple beers we can have it nocked out
Great! The sounds very promising. And I will probably be using an aux input for sound (AUXNISS) since I still have the stock head unit/speakers. In total, it'll be about $2100 worth of hardware, but stock navi alone is $2000. However, this also includes access to mp3s, internet, bluetooth, etc. And since I WILL be needing internet on the road soon, I think it'll be worth it! Especially if you help me install it!

false i kinda chewed them out about that when i called. They have misinformation up. It does have FM tuner, TV Tuner, Built in WIFI, Built in GPS, And all the antennas needed also has the DVD slot load drive what more can you ask for =) most indash gps run about 1800-2200 this is cheap in my book still put a dent in my wallet but hopefully be worth it
Dammit, now THIS is looking like the better option! It seems to run the same price (even cheaper?) and we have less chance for headache...but I REALLY want to maintain a stock interior.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 AM
nissansource

your soo stuck on the stock interior lol
Old 07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
BhashaZ

lol. I know--I'm pretty stubborn!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
BigZ88

build your own....my interior looks completely stock...hide the computer in the passenger cubby... and you can build for cheaper than any of those solutions.

Quick Reply: Carputer / In-car PC