Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Carputer / In-car PC

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:26 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carputer / In-car PC

I was interested in getting a computer for my car. My reasons for doing it: GPS and music, primarily, and also for backup camera and having the ability to access the internet using Verizon cell service.

Anyways, I have been looking on/off for a while and may be ready to do it in the coming months. The question I had was basically how much would installation cost? I don't want to use an old PC, and would rather buy a new one specifically for the car environment. I was going to hook it up with the Xenarc touch-screen. Here's what I am looking at:

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...42{13}87{12}26
Celeron M 360
2.5" 60 GB HD
512MB RAM
Carnetix CNX-P1900 140W DC-DC PSU

And the touchscreen I'm looking into the Xenarc 700TSV.

Any suggestions for a navi solution (receiver/software)? Software should have 3D/birds-eye-view and voice-guided instructions.

How about backup camera option?

I will shop around for better prices of course. I'm thinking I should be able to get the above item for around $850-950 or so.

Now to hook it all up to the car, how much would I be looking to pay? As a note, the Xenarc must come out of it's casing in order to fit the OEM Navi cubby hole (which I have to purchase the 2003 cubby). I'm thinking the PC can be placed in the glove box. Also, is there anything else I really need? Is the Carnetix power supply all I need, or do I need to get a shutdown/startup controller?

TIA guys!

Last edited by BhashaZ; 03-20-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:37 AM
dark_muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the xenarc is an awesome little screen. I've got 2... one in the car and one for testing purposes. Awesome clarity.

Look up info on mp3car.com forums. You can get everything you're looking for there.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

got my xenarc from Ebay. Price is good.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 AM
dream724Z

I love those compact PC specs!

Power Supply: 65W (19V, 3.5A) Adapter
Size: 6.5"(W) x 1.97"(H) x 6.5"(D) Volume: 1.36L

It's smaller than the powerful shuttle PC I bought from mwave. It will offer enough processing for your aps, until you add video monitoring. Don't give up your glovebox, mount it behind the driver's seat.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
BhashaZ

^^ good point about putting it in the "Bose" location. It's still up in the air, as right now it's just in the "planning" stages. haha. But what do you mean by "video monitoring"?

But as for the installation, how much do you guys think it will run? I can go ahead and build the PC myself (although in this case I may just purchase it ready-to-go if I can't find a cheaper price), but installation in the car will be tricky. I wouldn't really know how to power it

Bubble: you have a link for ebay? There's an authorized seller who has it for auction, but I'd like to know how much you paid and who you bought it from.

mp3car is good source, but since I don't know too many technical things, it's hard to ask a question without people probably telling me to "use search" or something.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
BhashaZ

I guess another question would be how the audio gets to the speakers. I am going to stick with the stock head unit/speakers for a stealth look, and they're good enough for now. How would I go about connecting the computer to the head unit?

Can I use something like the Soundgate Aux-Niss to connect to the HU? And then connect the computer to the Aux-Niss? The MoBo of the PC noted above has onboard audio (generic/AC97 Codec). Will this sound bad? I know the stock system in the Z sucks, but I don't want it to sound worse than a CD playing in the stock HU. Plus will it even connect from PC to Aux-Niss?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Power is not that bad. When I installed my head unit I added a new fused power wire off the battery, I took that and added a relay to it and set up an on/off/on switch. The first ON position has power coming from ignition to power the relay, so the computer goes on and off with the key. The second ON position has power coming from the same battery connection so I can just leave the computer on if I like (for a show or something). This new switched wire and a constant on wire were then run down the center console to the back and hooked them up to the PC.

The power supply was then set for a 15 Minute wait before it issues a shutdown to the PC. I figure that way if I run into the store or something the computer is not going to do a full shutdown (more to save the drive from excessive power cycling than anything else). When the PC gets the shutdown pulse from the power supply it goes into hibernate. This was it comes right back up where I left it next time, even in the middle of a song.

A case could cost you as little as $20 if you are willing to assemble the plastic, I have even seen two 350Z computers with no case at all. One was a pile of parts in the glove box mounted on a piece of wood, the other (of much better design) used one of the mail slots for a case.

I would say between 1000-2500 depending on how much you build and what you decide to buy.

I have some pictures and prices here of mine CarPC setup, http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-007/default.asp

You might try a search as well, I know this has come up before.

Chris
Old 03-20-2006, 12:10 PM
dream724Z

Video monitoring with carPC could provide a "black box" using four small cameras. Depending on desired resolution and frame rate it requires more processing power than Celeron. Granted this is overkill for your backup camera feature.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 PM
BhashaZ

Thanks for the info HyperSprite! Your setup is awesome and I know you've been working on it and perfecting it for a long time!

I've also seen the second setup you're describing (I believe it's leemik's). The reason I want to go with a complete case is because I don't have enough time to fabricate something too custom, and would rather have it be "done" right away. Plus if there's any problems with the computer, I should still be able to take it out of the car without too much trouble. That's why even though the mail slots are a good idea, I don't think I'll be going that route. Plus I'm (hoping) that the spots behind the driver/passenger side should provide better ventilation, especially if I put it on the driver's side and buy a "Bose" plastic cover.

My biggest concern with this whole project is the power supply/start-up/shut-down. I simply don't know enough about electronics and such to make sure that everything works out. That's going to be my biggest obstacle, and primarily the reason I will need to have someone install it. Other things I can figure out I think later on (and when I have more $$$), such as the back-up camera and GPS receiver.

So 1000-2500 is installation or parts and installation? Like I said, I think I have everything I need listed above, and the price for parts should be around $1000. How much would it cost to mount the computer, run the wires, install the screen, and make sure the power supply/shut-down works as I want it to?

Really appreciate you guys helping out!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:22 PM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by dream724Z
Video monitoring with carPC could provide a "black box" using four small cameras. Depending on desired resolution and frame rate it requires more processing power than Celeron. Granted this is overkill for your backup camera feature.
Hahah..funny thing is I actually thought about that, but realistically it probably won't make it into my sytem!

I actually wanted to have a front bumper cam for recording and to act as a black box, "just-in-case"...
Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 AM
BhashaZ

So can anybody give me an idea for how much installation would be? I need to remove the Xenarc from the case and put it in the 03 cubby, mount the PC, run and connect the wires, and make sure the start-up/shut-down/hibernate/standby work properly. I really have no clue how much it would be. $100? $200? $500? More?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by BhashaZ

Bubble: you have a link for ebay? There's an authorized seller who has it for auction, but I'd like to know how much you paid and who you bought it from.
i bought from Dynamix-Electronics. Winning bid was $250 if i don't remember wrong since i bought it a year ago.

http://stores.ebay.com/Dynamix-Electronics-in-Real-Time

Their support is super.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:08 AM
MY03Silverstone

Well, you would need to find a place that would install it for you in the first place. I'm not sure what shops would do that and how much they charge. Most people do it themselves.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

do more research and reading about carpc before you build one.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:10 AM
MY03Silverstone

Also, I noticed in my setup that during the daytime, the touchscreens are almost impoosible to view becuase of the glare and the fact that it's not bright enough. Something to consider before you go ahead with this project.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by MY03Silverstone
Also, I noticed in my setup that during the daytime, the touchscreens are almost impoosible to view becuase of the glare and the fact that it's not bright enough. Something to consider before you go ahead with this project.
+1. Fiberglass the panel to hold your LCD, that way it will cut down the glare a bit.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
So can anybody give me an idea for how much installation would be? I need to remove the Xenarc from the case and put it in the 03 cubby, mount the PC, run and connect the wires, and make sure the start-up/shut-down/hibernate/standby work properly. I really have no clue how much it would be. $100? $200? $500? More?

The problem with quotes for this kind of stuff is that it is entirely custom and not all that common.

It took me several days to do my install but I work slow and careful so it is hard to say what a shop might charge. Also, if the shop has never done anything like this, you will most likely be paying for their learning curve.

Build the computer in the house, do all your software setup there running it off a desktop power supply. Once you are done and it is running the way you want, take it out to the car and install it.

You will need to run the power wires and if you don't feel like pulling up the center console, you could run it down the side of the car under the carpet and feed the wires through. You will need either an 03 cubby or a nav cubby for you screen to go in. I imagine you could pay a shop to do this and the price would be similar to a head unit install and an amp install as it's not that complicated. If you are mounting the computer in the sub location, you might want a shelf or brackets to hold it still. Make sure they don't put any screws down into the floor of this location, there is a gas tank under it.

Chris
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 AM
BhashaZ

Thanks for the link Bubble. That's the one I was looking at. And research is definately the key. *If* I proceed with this, it's going to be some time in the summer. I'm still looking at all the options for various components (GPS, Navi Software, front-end, heat issues, etc).

MY03Silverstone: What screen are you using, and are you using the 2003 nav cubby?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

or wait for me. I have all the part ready since last year but just too lazy to make it happen.

For motherboard, i would suggest this one:

VIA EPIA MII12000

Last edited by Bubble; 03-21-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:21 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
The problem with quotes for this kind of stuff is that it is entirely custom and not all that common.

It took me several days to do my install but I work slow and careful so it is hard to say what a shop might charge. Also, if the shop has never done anything like this, you will most likely be paying for their learning curve.

Build the computer in the house, do all your software setup there running it off a desktop power supply. Once you are done and it is running the way you want, take it out to the car and install it.

You will need to run the power wires and if you don't feel like pulling up the center console, you could run it down the side of the car under the carpet and feed the wires through. You will need either an 03 cubby or a nav cubby for you screen to go in. I imagine you could pay a shop to do this and the price would be similar to a head unit install and an amp install as it's not that complicated. If you are mounting the computer in the sub location, you might want a shelf or brackets to hold it still. Make sure they don't put any screws down into the floor of this location, there is a gas tank under it.

Chris
Chris, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I have enough knowledge and experience to go ahead and build the computer and setup the software. I can make sure the PC is working fine as a desktop.

But as you said, my plan is to have the shop just install the screen in an 03 nav cubby (that I have to buy), mount the PC in the sub location (thanks for the tip, BTW!), and run the wires (I don't trust myself to do this stuff).

In all, I was thinking I should be able to get ALL parts (including computer, touchscreen, navi mouse, backup camera, etc) and installation for around $1700-1800. Does this sound reasonable?

Quick Reply: Carputer / In-car PC