Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 06:32 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well Im jeoulous.

aggie, I can give you instructions on how to make your 9000 into a 10000 if you want... if you think thatll help. you would probably want a little extra cooling, and it would be an experiment to see if you have the extra power. and of course I wouldnt be responsible for negative effects... but it should take such a minor overclock in stride.

http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/overclocking/

other than that, windows 2000 is probably going to be your best bet, that was the last windows that was worth its weight. you could also consider linux, there are tons of custom car dash pc programs for it for free... but most of the major programs wont run on linux, thats the tradeoff. if you want word, dragon naturally speaking, and HAVE to have winamp as your player, go with 2000.

also they make teflon coated ide cables, did you try them? might cut down on intereferance.

what screen are you getting? Im sure youve said but now Ive forgot.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:00 AM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a look at the overclocking stuff, although I've never been a big fan of messing with that stuff.

Will Win2000 uses just as much system resources as XP?

As for cables, I'm still doing all of this in my home, so I hope that interference is not an issue, although I do have three other PC's running, TiVO, stereo, big screen tv, etc. in a 700 sq ft loft!

I'm going with the 7" Xenarc 700YV. I'm not getting the touch screen for two reasons, one of which is safety...I know we have already compromised that to a certain level by putting all of this in our car, but I just don't want to further add to it with a touchscreen that is not exactly right at our fingertips. The second, reason is that I'm using a little USB wireless presentation mouse that works awesome and uses RF. It also has direct button functions for Windows Media player.

Now, I just need to order the VGA screen!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:18 AM
all_bark

what will you guys use for a keyboard?
Old 03-12-2003, 07:29 AM
aggie300zx

Once my PC is setup in my home, I do not plan on having a keyboard in the car. As I mentioned I have a pretty good mouse solution, plus I'm using G-Net's digital dash which has easy access to an onscreen keyboard.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:35 AM
abz123

Might want to look at a 'RealMagic XCard' it's a mpg decoder card. It's suppose to take most of the work off of slow processors.

I'd stay away from win 98. It doesn't take kindly to improper shutdowns. You always get that nag screen and it has to go through that scan HD crap.

Glad the M9000 worked for you. I'm sure Scafremon would be glad to hear that. Maybe they did switch the P.S. out. Some other test you might want to test is to plug up the RCA cable and disconnect the monitor's VGA cable (my suspiscion is that the VGA cable is supplying some added power to the motherboard). Boot it up a few times, shut it down, unplug and reboot again (this is the cycle it goes through in the car).

Windows 2000 and XP have onscreen 'virtual keyboards'.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:45 AM
aggie300zx

I actually have an extra decoder card that you speak of in one of my other PC's. I might give that a try.

As for the Win98 nag screen (HD scan), you can change some things to turn that off and not have it display. I've got some programmers down the hall that know all of this stuff like we know the specs on our cars...hehe! I just keep walking down there and bouncing questions off of them. They agreed that the footprint of Win98 is significantly smaller than NT, 2000, or XP, the tradeoff being stability. Oh, and I own an extra copy of Win98 sot that makes it easier decision right now. I'm going to try and out and see how it performs, can always start over again with a different OS if I don't like it.

As for the RCA/VGA/power thing, I will be using (as well as Scafremon) the Xenarc VGA screen not powered off of the PC power supply so I will not being using the RCA video out for anything. Plus I rebooted that machine at least 15 times last night doing installs.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:02 AM
rodion

Default keyboard

Check out this keyboard by Motion Computing: https://www.motioncomputing.com/stor...=Input+Devices
It's the only keyboard in this class that I could get my hands on so far (at a Gateway store).

Does anyone know, what's that keyboard that Xenarc shows next to their mini PC?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by abz123
Glad the M9000 worked for you. I'm sure Scafremon would be glad to hear that.
And I am. My M9000 should arrive this Friday. All that I have ordered so far is that and a 256mb ram chip. I am still WAY confused on power supplies. Hopefully by the time my VGA option comes around in April, there will either be a definitive power supply option for the M9000, or I will have learned enough about power supplies so I can make a decision.

I am ready to buy my slim DVD drive. I saw one at a reputable online store for about $90 for an 8x. I forget where - will have to search through the hundred or so links I have saved regarding this project..lol

Where did you guys buy your DVD drives?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:09 AM
rodion

Default keyboard again

One thing about the keyboard: would be nice to have it backlit, like this model here: http://www.ikey.com/Products/SalesLi...-86-911-sl.pdf

I'm guessing, wireless is not an option with the backlighting - I don't think any battery would last long enough.
However, if I had to choose between wireless and ability to see the darn thing in the dark, I'd choose the latter (some of you might suggest taking up typing lessons, and you'd be right).

The keyboard above costs $395 - shameless ripoff. If anyone knows where to get something similar for less - please, let me know.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:21 AM
rodion

Default DVD drive

Has anyone ever seen a slot-load slim DVD drive?
The only slot-load model with black faceplate option that i've found so far is a full-size 16x Pioneer.
I'll be mounting it in the mail slot behind the passenger seat, and there's no space for the tray to come out.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:49 AM
abz123

Bought it from caseoutlet $95 with adapter...
http://www.caseoutlet.com/NWPc/2699-VIA-M/2699VIA.html

This site has it for $72 but they don't sell adapters. Adapters usually run about $9 plus shipping.

http://www.knowledgemicro.com/search...ry=&s=slim+dvd

Last edited by abz123; 03-12-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 AM
ares
Veteran

Im yanking a dvd/cdrw hot swappable drive out of a broken lap top, it has a case, and then you plug one of the 2 types of drives in, and you can use it.

Im just worried if it will support it on a desktop. if not, no loss, go to the store and buy one.

as for keyboard, I do have touch screen so Im trying to control the whole thing by touch and sound, Id prefer not to have a keyboard or mouse anywhere... tho Im TRYING to find a bmw 745i type ****, that will act as a mouse and scroller... from a fixed position, and look kinda awesome. I dont mean actually from BMW, but just like it.

also if keyboard is a problem, and for somereason dont want to type it into the screen keyboard, I can always plug a keyboard into the usb port that Im mounting in the mailbox slot, and do what I need, then unplug it and go.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:18 AM
aggie300zx

I found my 8x DVD-ROM for $67, I think it is refurbished, but carries a year warranty. I know the site looks shady, but bought it, received it and it works fine so far. This was the cheapest I found it.

http://www.computersystems2go.com/
Old 03-12-2003, 10:57 AM
ares
Veteran

in some cases a mix between www.pricewatch.com and www.resellerratings.com can help weed out shady sites from reputable.

the second one will show you any feedback on any site that theyve recieved feedback on. you just sorta gotta hope someone has used them and commented on them.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:27 AM
zaway

I got my DVD and adapter at www.idot.com for $107, after seeing the other prices I feel bad but oh well. All I have left is a LCD and a new headunit so I can hook my sound card to it without the need for an FM modulator, and then I'll be done

will post pics when completed.

zaway
Old 03-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Scafremon

Thanks for the links for the DVD drive sources everyone.

I just purchased one from the website aggie300zx posted, http://www.computersystems2go.com/

When I went to the site, I realized that they are right just a few miles from my house, so I called and spoke with them, and ordered the drive. They are looking to find the adaptor for me also.

Thanks again. Just a few more items to go!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:48 PM
aggie300zx

Sweet, glad they were able to get you the DVD-ROM drive.

After some discussion with the geeks in the office (don't worry I'm one of them too, so don't be offended), here are some things I am going to try to impove the optimization of my PC:

-I'm going to install Win98 for a smaller footprint (XP although nice, is just more than I need for my uses)
-I'm going to turnoff any unnecessary services running on the PC that I don't need.
-update the BIOS http://www.viavpsd.com/product/Downl...therboardId=81
-And most importantly I'm going to try using a PCI video card. I think this will end up being a must, especially wanting to use Nav software. It should take a lot of load off of the CPU and RAM. I just have to find one that helps, but also balances heat/power concerns.

I will update folks on my progress with these.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:21 PM
ares
Veteran

have others with the via motherboards had problems running DVDs? I know 99% of people seem to be going that route, but havent heard of anyone using a videocard other than the integrated one.

anyway, I hope you exhaust all other options before doing that cause you only get one slot, dont want to squander it on something thats already integrated...

be sure to try the DVD in a reg computer, to be sure its not the DVD thats doing it... and or, try a full sized dvd in the car PC to be sure it skips too. EDIT when I say DVD, I mean dvd drive.

Last edited by ares; 03-12-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:37 PM
alphared

2.5 HDD, Slim DVD & Slot DVD
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-dsc00264.jpg  
Old 03-12-2003, 02:40 PM
alphared

oh, Hdd is 40gig, 5600. about 140 bux (fastest speed i can find)
DVD are both 6X and both around 40 bux each.

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!