Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sound deadening and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:04 AM
farber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening and exhaust

Hi all:

How are you? I have a quick question, which I have been unable to find any definitive information for. I am very eager to put in some butyl sound deadening (raammat) in doors, floor, trunk, etc... along with ensolite 1/8 inch. I am looking to block out much of the road noise, in addition to resonance (hence the ensolite and installation on floor). My main concern is the blocking of the exhaust noise - something I cant live without!!

I want to block out road noise, etc. but will I also block out a significant amount of the exhaust sound?

Thank you very much for your advice!!

Jeff
Old 06-25-2006, 10:23 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have fully Sound Deadened my ZR, it does muffle down the note a bit, but WOT you still get quite a bit of sound. The benefits of sound deadening are pretty great though, and outweigh the loss of exhaust sound.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:34 AM
farber

sq40 - thanks for the reply. I too have a ZR, I just dont want to lose the great rumble of the car, I love it =) Would you say you had more than a 25% loss of exhaust sound?

Also, since you have a roadster, the impact on the highway (road noise) is still significant? I never know how much noise is entering the cabin through the top, and how much through normal entryways.

Thanks again!!

Jeff
Old 06-25-2006, 10:44 AM
sq40

Originally Posted by farber
sq40 - thanks for the reply. I too have a ZR, I just dont want to lose the great rumble of the car, I love it =) Would you say you had more than a 25% loss of exhaust sound?

Also, since you have a roadster, the impact on the highway (road noise) is still significant? I never know how much noise is entering the cabin through the top, and how much through normal entryways.

Thanks again!!

Jeff
To be honest, it knocked some of the "rasp" sound out of it, but you still get the deeper notes. I would say it reduced the sound by maybe 15% total. I have a K&N Typhoon intake and the sound from it and the exhaust together are still boner inspiring.

As for the noise from driving, it makes the car feel a lot more "Solid" so to speak since you dont get as much tire noise and road noise. Its about like the difference between the top up and down. It was money well spent. I used 100 SQ Feet total in the ZR.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:51 AM
farber

Hi - thanks again for the reply. You are very convincing - thanks. I have read maybe 10% of all results say its not worth it, and I am very eager to begin installation.

I was questioning whether the ensolite would absorb too much sound on top of the dynamat/raammat/etc, did you install or no?

Also - you used 100 sq ft - what parts of the car did you install? I assume floor, doors, wheel wells ( I am going to be installing spectrum sludge or equivalent on the outside of wheel wells for maximum effect), and back wall of passenger compartment, but what about the top area and trunk? Since the roadster the trunk is very far removed from the cabin, I would imagine very little material is needed here, only to remove rattles (vs coupe where they are directly integrated)? And the top area?

Thanks again for all of the advice, I appreciate it!!

Jeff
Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
sq40

I used Owens Corning Weatherlock Asphault Based Underlayment. You can purchase 250SQ Ft from Lowes for around $70.00. It is quite thick and sticky as hell. Very similar to dynamat original. They also make a Polly-backed version for a coule of bucks more.

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/r...asp?SeriesID=7

I have sound deadened several cars with stuff from all of the differnent brand names, this stuff works just as well at a fraction of the cost.

I put up to 3 Layers in the floorboards of the car, the back deck area and firewall. I didnt do the fenders themselves, but it will help out quite a bit I would imagine.

Last edited by sq40; 06-25-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 AM
farber

Awesome - thanks so much for your help. I wont know what effect the ensolite will have, but I guess ill have to take my chances. Cant wait to see the effects in a couple weeks =)

Jeff