Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

LF people with hardcore systems and what they run

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sq40
M4gery with an Aimpoint, with Hogue Grip, YHM Rear sight(?) In CALI none the less???
Dang you know your weapons ... I'm "Paul" over at AR15.com

Aimpoint Comp ML2 and the fixed rear sight is a DPMS which were the first pair of sights that really co-witnessed well together. The Aimpoint was a Comp ML but after it failed for the second time Aimpoint delivered a new model.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sq40
I always liked Klipsch home audio, I have used/auditioned quite a few speakers of theirs and have always been inpressed with the range and clarity they got out of those horns.

I have been an audiphile for a while and competed in Sound Quality competitions in my car for a few years (even winning the World Championships in 2002). I wound up judging sound quality systems for a few seasons too. Lots of fun. I have probably sit in close to 1,000 cars with just about every make and model of speaker made.

Some of the best stuff is usually from the guys that didn't have a fortune to work with, but spent a LOT of time building perfect installs with the correct wiring, engineering and design. I have seen $3K systems completly beat down $40K systems in imaging, clarity and definition. Its really amazing what you can do with a little art and a lot of science.
Very sensible - there is also a point of diminishing returns. A $4000 system doesn't sound twice as good as a $2000 system. There is a sweet spot where you have to throw large bucks to get minor changes. Look at amplifiers where $400-$800 will buy you a nice 500 watt (whatever) amplifier. To double that volume you're talking about 1000 watts worth of amplifier ... which is going to run you more than $800 and give you just 3 dB more worth of sound energy.

A point I argue is that as soon as you actually turn the car on those 300 ponies under the hood make more than 80 dB worth of noise destroying any "sound stage", "signal to noise ratio", or "SQ" ... the SPL drag racing is an interesting hobby but at those levels your hearing is damaged in mear minutes worth of exposure so I don't see the point. Building something that will ruin your enjoyment of that something seems way counter productive. But boys will be boyz and I totally understand the pushing of the science and art of installations with the competition.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me the point of SPL is similar to say...drag racing on a higher level...

you can argue that a drag car is pointless, not much enjoyment for normal usage and completely dangerous...

but the guys get a kick out of it going down the 1/4 as fast as they can, and i dont mean just the guy driving the car, but the whole team...

spl is similar, the feeling you get for getting the loudest among a field of competitors is enjoyable to many...

jim, is you believe that anyone with wood cutting skills and the right spread sheet can build a spl system, why is it that year in and year out, a crop of competitors, seem to always sit atop of the SPL ranking? surely there are many others out of the thousands of competitors out there in the same classes as they are, that can use a saw and spread sheet? why can they not beat these people when the rules specify that htye can use the same amount of power, the same subs, the same vehicle for their purposes? what gives the top guys that edge? that is not just a formula? THAT...to me, is where the art of this whole ting lies...

i am sure you know when it comes to audio speaker design, there is no formula to get the best sound right? i mean if that wer the case, anyone with the proper equipment, and the right spreadsheet and numbers can build the best sounding speaker in the world right?

by the way, i never said sealed, i said its POSSIBLE to get 150 db plus in a Z with two subs ...
Old 09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i am sure you know when it comes to audio speaker design, there is no formula to get the best sound right? i mean if that wer the case, anyone with the proper equipment, and the right spreadsheet and numbers can build the best sounding speaker in the world right?
Bing .. there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more to designing a proper loudspeaker with good directivity and a balanced response. Remember, loudspeaker systems are designed to work in a whole room, with good on and off axis symmetry over an entire frequency spectrum. blending multiple transducers is not based off of a speadsheet ... controlling directivity is done not come in a can ... you can't just hacksaw a real loudspeaker together.

Making a burp box is just that ... tuning a box and a (many times ... a custom one-off) transducer to excite a mode, a mode which you spl comp car supports.

The people that are at the top, stay at the top ... mainly because of sponsor support and experience. They get the right equipment, they get the right sourcing .. and they are the people that actually understand what freq is best in thier respected car.

I'd put any amount of money that any company with a half decent set of audio geeks could come out there and burp their way into the top 5 in no time. Many companies don't do this ... as the marketing behind these companies doesn't see anything beneficial to something like that.

Take JL Audio for example .. sure they have guys out there that they support ... but they do it based on show-ability and rep/cred of the sponsored vehicle. They could care less about the SPL champs .. as that sort of "halo" is not what they want .. they'd rather be the company know to be in "nice" cars and be respected for good sound .. not burp/fart machines.

-Jim