Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Radar Install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 10:08 PM
GSRto350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radar Install?

I just ordered my Valentine One and had a few questions.

1. Where should I install it, not using stealth?

2. Could or should I scrap off some of the little tint circles?

3. Can I hardwire it to the power line used by the Homelink rear view mirror?

Old 03-12-2003, 03:02 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is the link to my V1 install. I used the concealed display option, which cleans everything up nicely...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=21845

As far as your questions go, here are my suggestions:

1. Where should I install it, not using stealth?
The V1 has directional arrows, which should be visible to you, so mount it as high as possible, but make sure that both detectors (front and rear) are visible through the front and rear of the car

2. Could or should I scrap off some of the little tint circles?
I didn't need to do this, I mounted mine, just below the tint circles.

3. Can I hardwire it to the power line used by the Homelink rear view mirror?
Yes, but the cords are long enough for you to run the wire through the mirror trim piece, along the headliner, through the pillar trim piece, and down to the fuse box. This is what I did...

Good luck, but my total install, including the concealed display took about 20-30 minutes.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:20 AM
GSRto350Z

Default Hmmmm...

It might be worth it to spend the $40 to get the Concealed Display. I'm just not sure I like the spot you installed it. I might wait till I get my am stereo and install it in the empty din slot.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:24 AM
onecoolee

I saw a couple other options in here for mounting the concealed display, but I really didn't like them myself. One was mounted to the turn signal lever, and another down low to the right of the steering, but I felt it was too low. When I am speeding, I want to be able to see where those bogeys are without taking my eyeballs too far away from the road. The wires that Valentine supplies are plenty long enough for any mounting options, but the spots I chose, suited me best for how I have the car setup. However, it is very easy to move the concealed display, if I get tired of that location...
Old 03-12-2003, 01:26 PM
syf0n

I have no knowledge of wiring and managed to do mine in a somewhat ingenious fashion just a few days ago. Until i can get osme help form someone with a brain, I will have to use the cigarette lighter port, but what I did was to stick the detector under the rear hatch, then run the wires around the top of the car and push them under the material. I also ran the remote display to right underneath the sterrin wheel, where I can see it clearly simply by glancing. The unit itself is nearly invisible unless you know what to look for, no one expects that sort of thing in the rear view mirror!

I ran the wires for the remote unit under the carpet next to the driver seat by manipulating the seat position. So now the only REALLY visible sign of it are the wires from the cig adapter, which will be dealt with soon enough. No one who gets in my car has realized where the beeping is coming from until I explain it

I know there are much better installs out there, but this one seems (to me, anyways) to be as covert as you can go without splicing a cord or tapping the car's power system. So, I will post pics when I get my mits on a digital camera again. Sucks not having one of my own anymore =\
Old 03-12-2003, 01:37 PM
onecoolee

I chose to mount the main unit and concealed display up front for 1 simple reason. The volume control is on the main unit. If I am jamming to some tunes, I want the volume up, but if I am listening to Stern in the morning on my casual jaunt into work, the volume can be down. I didn't want to have to stop the car, to reach back and adjust the volume. I do think the rear hatch is a better location for a stealth mount, and for pure sensitivity issues, but it just wouldn't work out for me...
Old 03-16-2003, 10:00 AM
GSRto350Z

Cool ??????????????????

I was hoping for more options than this. I guess I'll have to di it my own way, but I will be using different ideas from some of these post. I also noticed that because of my hieght I need to mount it differently than others.

Old 03-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I stuck mine to the windshield just below the mirror and slightly to the left of it. The suction cup on the right is on the black dots and the one on the left is not. I had to apply one drop of crazy glue to the one on the dots since it wouldn't stick well there. I ran the wire behind the headliner rim, down the drivers side A pillar and into the fusebox. It helps to use a credit card to tuck the wire in as you work your way down. I used the 15 amp fuse for the cig. lighter. Works great, front and rear and no problems yet.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:03 PM
sal1

Default Hard wire V1

I have my V1 hardwired to the right of the rear view mirror. On the black dots! After trying unsuccessfully for the suction cups to stick I decided there was a better and simpler way.

I went to Home Depot and bought a package of velcro squares (about $2.50 for a package of about 10). I stuck one end to the suction cups and the other end to the black dots.

Problem solved!! I hope this helps others.

Sal (Brickyard)
Old 10-10-2003, 08:28 AM
saizzz

Wondering if the black dots in the z windshield block radar/laser?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM
onecoolee

no problems with the black dots for me...I have mine mounted similar to Dr. Bonz's install. I have pictures of my V1 install somewhere in these forums, if you look hard you may find them. The left wall of the drivers side near the fuse box is a great place for any wiring, and hardwiring of your V1. I also have the add-on kit for the extra warning device, which is mounted close to the steering wheel (right side) and is more visible than the actual V1 display if mounted behind the mirror, like mine is....

So far I have great detection from front/rear and sides, and the black dots on the windshield do not seem to cause any problems...
Old 10-10-2003, 11:00 AM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of wire did you guys use?, assuming you didn't use the wire from the detector.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:59 PM
onecoolee

I used the stealth install kit that came with my V1 detector. When I bought my unit, it came with the detector, the hardwire kit, a standard power cable for non-stealth install, plus a concealed stealth display add-on. All of the wiring from Valentine is a black phone cord wire, with 4 wires, I believe. I guess you could make your own hardwire kit, out of a heavier duty phone cord, which would look like theirs, just be sure to get the proper pinout from the standard cord that came with your V1 so you don't fry it by wiring it backwards. Also, be sure to add at least a 1-2 amp fuse to your hardwire job (the hardwire kit from V1 includes a fuse).
Old 10-11-2003, 10:38 AM
dr_gallup

I mounted my V1 on a headliner rivet behind the passenger seat and put the remote display in the NAV compartment. All the leads are hidden and with the NAV compartment shut it is nearly impossible to see from outside the car.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:51 AM
LeMansZCa

i agree that is the ideal setup for V1, very stealth.... I also tinted the back window so no one can see!!! and i added the "Z" emblem in the nav behind the remote unit!!
now i just wave at the police as they pass me by!!!!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:02 AM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by dr_gallup
I mounted my V1 on a headliner rivet behind the passenger seat and put the remote display in the NAV compartment. All the leads are hidden and with the NAV compartment shut it is nearly impossible to see from outside the car.
dr gallup, I have a Passport (battey) but would very much consider V1 headliner mounted. Is this method shown somewhere?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 AM
onecoolee

Seek...and ye shall find ! I have seen numerous radar installs attached to the headliner posted in htese forums, here is one I found by doing a quick search (valentine and headliner):

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=33744
Old 10-14-2003, 10:15 AM
SungNamZ

Thanks, it's printing as I type!