Narrowed it down

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006 | 01:21 PM
03_Track_Z

Default Narrowed it down

Sony MEX-BT5000

or

Alpine CD-9857

Here's what I'm looking for, I want something that looks very simple, I hate lots of buttons and flashy lights. If it's got a color screen, that's one thing, but too many flashy generic colors get annoying. I like the bluetooth feature - a lot. Also, IPod hookup is a definate plus. What do you recommend out of these two, or another in the same price range?
Old 11-20-2006 | 01:38 PM
oakmontgolf

Alpine
Old 11-20-2006 | 01:43 PM
dtak59

Without knowing anything about the either, i'll take the alpine.
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:04 PM
03_Track_Z

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9857

http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-4jafied1...0&I=158MEXBT50
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:30 PM
03_Track_Z

haha ive never owned either, so much sony hatred though, why?
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:46 PM
jrforrester

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
haha ive never owned either, so much sony hatred though, why?
Sony makes a lot of great stuff in other markets, but when it comes to car audio, their target audience was not the guy looking to win SPL competitions. They aimed to provide to the large retailers they already sell all their other stuff to - for example best buy. While best buy carries a lot of ok to good stuff, you won't see a w7 or an eclipse head unit on their floor. Reason - doesn't match the target audience best buy has. So if sony wants to sell most of their products to their biggest retailers like best buy, they need to match best buys target audience - the bargain hunters that still want something that is "pretty good."

Long story short, Sony could make a kick butt head unit if they wanted to ( i dont think anyone denies the "capabilities" sony's engineers have), but thats not their selling style or audience, so they go low to middle road with their stuff to make it affordable.

AKA buy the alpine!
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:59 PM
03_Track_Z

heres my qualm with the alpine, it doesnt even say who is calling with the bluetooth, thats kinda weak. are there any others that do say it, other than the much more expensive pioneer?
Old 11-20-2006 | 03:11 PM
jrforrester

cant help you there... i never bothered with any of the phone integration stuff like the cell phone mute and all.. always found it easier to just look at my phone and turn the knb down myself, but then again I don't have bluetooth either, so I'm just stuck in the stone age i guess...

What you gotta ask urself is what your goals are with your sound system. If you are just changing your head unit and thats it, then the sony might be good for you if it offers the bluetooth caller id you want. If you are looking to build an spl giant in the future, then start with a better head... each head unit was designed with something different in mind.

What are you looking to do with your system?
Old 11-20-2006 | 03:19 PM
03_Track_Z

well this all started because right now i have type S front components, rears, and subs, with audiobahn amps

right now the rear speakers and subs are together, but the subs are so loud i turn them down and i never hear the rear speakers. im sick of not hearing my rear speakers!!! i got a remote bass **** but it didnt work. plus itll all sound better with an aftermarket HU, so i figured id just get one with sub controls. then i saw bluetooth and it looked cool so i thought id get one with that too. also i want to hook up my ipod to the unit.
Old 11-20-2006 | 10:18 PM
jrforrester

so you still have the stock head unit in right now, yes?

So im guessing you are using speaker level inputs right now to get the signal to your amps, since I dont think there are pre-amp outputs on the stock HU.. If that is the case, make sure you look for a HU that has pre-amp outputs that are 3volts or more.. preferably 5 volts if your amps are big time power pushers... Also, you are probably going to have to hav eto amplify the speakers if you arent already.. there is no way you are going to be able to match an amplified aftermarket sub power-wise with just a head unit's internal amp... So make sure ur HU u get has front and rear pre-amp outputs as well (they wont need to be as high voltage, but if they are then woot).

Also check what kind of EQ controls are offered with each head unit. The better the EQ controls, the better chance you have of balancing that sound properly... I'm guessing alpine is going to offer more control, but just check the stats and see what they got...

hope that helps make it easier...
Old 11-21-2006 | 05:13 AM
03_Track_Z

it does, and i have my speakers and subs running off two audiobahn amps right now, so the HU will help a lot, thanks for the 5V tip!