Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Whats the diff.... LCD or VGA???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 06:06 PM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the diff.... LCD or VGA???

just wondering as I have no clue!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:30 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all are LCD(all Ive seen, I suppose you could have plasma?)

but VGA ussually means computer monitor, including a VGA in, identical to the monitor cable in front of you.

Im sure youve seen people hook computers up to a TV for displaying it? or perhaps your computer has an AV out, try playing the computer to your TV, and youll see the difference in resolution.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:39 PM
all_bark

so what makes VGA better? It is right?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:37 PM
ares
Veteran

well I think in theory, you could have a high quality non VGA, many of these new TVs boast resolutions equal to computer monitors, but not your typical tube TV, and not your typical less expensive LCD screen.

nonvga
Display Resolution: 800 (H) x 480 (V)
Dot Resolution: 2400 x 480 = 1,152,000 (dots)

vga
Physical Resolution: 800 (H) x 480 (V)
Supported Resolution: 640 x 480 ~ 1600 x 1200
Dot Resolution: 2400 x 480 = 1,152,000 (dots)

in these cases it is really just the ability of the screen to scale the pixels to better show the image, also I beleive, but not positive, that a VGA cable is more precise about transmitting the signal.

from looking at the data, it seems to be a marginal difference at best, but youve been around, and alot of people had difficulty reading small font on the non VGA screen. but I looked at 1280x*whatever the other size is* on the xenarc VGA screen, and while I had to get right up on it to make it out, it was clear as a bell, just way smaller than I could read.

but then again, I havent tried the same thing with the non VGA screen, so maybe thats not a fair comparison.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by all_bark
so what makes VGA better? It is right?
It's subjective.

VGA screens have better resolution, so I guess you could say it is better. But if you don't need better resolution, then it really isn't better for your needs. If you are just going to display TV type signals (such as DVD movies), then I don't think the VGA resolution will do anything for ya. But if you are going to display computer signals (such as Windows running on a computer), VGA is mucho better.

It's kinda like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle. If you only want to ride 1/4 mile, the bicycle might suit your needs just fine, and the motorcycle would probably be overkill, both in cost, and ease of use. But if you want to go further, or faster, the motorcycle might be a better choice.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:48 PM
ares
Veteran

oh of course, but all barks usin this for the computer he's gettin from chazz right?
Old 03-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ares
oh of course, but all barks usin this for the computer he's gettin from chazz right?
I think so...but maybe he is just going to play DVD movies from the computer, and if so, VGA might be overkill. Personally, I'm sold on VGA, and I'm going this route no question.

I think Xenarc is doin something funny with their resolution specs, or, those specs don't tell the whole story. While their VGA and non-VGA resolution specs are identical, we know that VGA is better resolution. It may have something to do with the fact that each VGA pixel is capable of producing red, green, or blue, and each of these subpixels has a brightness or greyscale level of 6-bits, basically allowing each pixel to display a color pallete of more then 262,144 colors. This creates better resolution.

This is probably why when I put my nose on my computer monitor screen, the image is a lot clearer then when i do the same on my TV screen.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:58 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by Scafremon
I think so...but maybe he is just going to play DVD movies from the computer, and if so, VGA might be overkill. Personally, I'm sold on VGA, and I'm going this route no question.

I think Xenarc is doin something funny with their resolution specs, or, those specs don't tell the whole story. While their VGA and non-VGA resolution specs are identical, we know that VGA is better resolution. It may have something to do with the fact that each VGA pixel is capable of producing red, green, or blue, and each of these subpixels has a brightness or greyscale level of 6-bits, basically allowing each pixel to display a color pallete of more then 262,144 colors. This creates better resolution.

This is probably why when I put my nose on my computer monitor screen, the image is a lot clearer then when i do the same on my TV screen.
HUH?

ok, i had a couple of margaritas tonight, no not driving, but man, I MUST BE DRUNK.

I am getting a system from chazzg. I do want dvd, music video, ****, you know, the typical stuff you can download from kazaa plus I am wanting tv, internet access, I have a wireless internet at home and will probably be getting ricochet soon after the system shows up. I also am interested in hooking this thing up to the ogb II or whatever our computer is in the Z. Sooner or later when the ecu is cracked this would be a great hookup to have already in the car. We could fine tune our car thru the computer based on the type of driving we are planning on! Take it to the track and tune it up, take it to dmv and tune it down. I like that!

Anyway, I want whats going to give me the best performance and usability. Touch screen VGA?

Thanks for the imput.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:52 AM
ares
Veteran

VGA for sure then, non vga is TV ONLY, like your plugging in a standalone dvd player, or playstation, you would get away with non vga.

for all that you want, you will want vga so you can make out all the text without problems. its the difference between being able to cleanly make out the nipples in your viewing material, or not.