Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My Focal SQ Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 AM
2fast4thelaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the box from xtremekustoms on ebay. He had 3 when I bought it last week and I checked this morning and they are gone. You can reach him by e-mail: sales@xtremekustoms.net I am sure he will build you one.

JL recommends a 1.25 cuft enclosure for the 12W3V3. An extra .25cuft of airspace isn't going to make much of a difference. It will drop the tuning a few Hz and I will actually gain a little efficiency and raises the Q slightly for tighter bass. Its almost always better to have a bigger box than too small of a box.

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 01-24-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:38 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run FOCAL also with NAZAR's door pods. You can't beat the sound quality. Here are a few pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails My Focal SQ Sound System-img_0006.jpg   My Focal SQ Sound System-img_0009.jpg   My Focal SQ Sound System-img_0012.jpg   My Focal SQ Sound System-img_0013.jpg   My Focal SQ Sound System-img_0017.jpg  

Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 AM
2fast4thelaw

That's a nice install! In fact I have a few of these photos that I collected before I did my installation. The Focals definitly kick ***! I pulled my sub box out until I get my new sub and enclosure and even without the sub these speakers pound! I have them cut-off at 80Hz at 12db/oct. I can feel them vibrate my legs.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 AM
tattoo60012

I'd like to say first off that the installation is beautiful. I am looking at doing a similar setup, so I am looking for a bit of advice. After having the system for a while, what changes if any would you have made to the sound deadening job, is there anything that you wish you would have done that you didn't, is there anything that you did that you are sorry about? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn if you ask me you shoulda drove the car when they gutted everything... woulda had a blast!
That install is incredible. Makes me feel like my install is nothing next to yours. How's road noise now? car feel a lot heavier with sound deadner? I bet you got rid of a lot of rattles with everything taken apart. Seems like something I may do later down the road.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM
seddon

Man that is one clean install. Nice job
Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
2fast4thelaw

Originally Posted by Voboy
damn if you ask me you shoulda drove the car when they gutted everything... woulda had a blast!
That install is incredible. Makes me feel like my install is nothing next to yours. How's road noise now? car feel a lot heavier with sound deadner? I bet you got rid of a lot of rattles with everything taken apart. Seems like something I may do later down the road.

Thanks guys, the sound deadning really didn't add much weight, maybe 25 pounds. The diffence is interior noise is like night and day! With the stereo off and driving 90mph I still hardly hear road noise. I will be changing to some Goodyear tires which will even further drop road noise.

What would I change? Well, I having the deck re-installed to fit flush into the dash. I am changing to a JL audio 12W3v3 12" sub and the fiberglass enclosure pictured above if that guy ever frickin finishes it. I have been waiting 2 months already and I am about ready to strangle him.

I would have to say that special attention to sound deading the interior plastic panels. I have to do some more on the back panels since they buzz a little from the sub. I think I will use just closed cell foam on them to eliminate buzz.

The JL 500/5 amp is the perfect amount of power for my needs for this car. I love the JL amps!

I just bought a new Nissan Armada and I am going to put a similar system in it. I will use the same Alpine IWA-200 DVD Head unit, JL 300/4 amp, JL 500/1 sub amp, Focal Polyglass comp sets, JL Stealth enclosure with the 10W6V2 for the Armada.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 PM
tattoo60012

Thanks for the info 2fast. I'm just starting the teardown today, my sound deadening (1 roll of Raammat, 6 Yards of closed cell, 2 cans spray adhesive) is arriving today as are my amps, sub, wiring kits, capacitor, and a few other odds and ends. I'm only waiting for my Focals to arrive which will be here Thursday.

The buzzing you've found on the interior door panels, can you tell if it's coming from where the panels overlap, or is the panel buzzing where it attaches to the car itself?

I've been toying with the idea of designing my own door pods, I like the general design of the Nazar pods, but I was hoping to locate the tweeter on the pod as well. I may change my mind about the custom pods after a few days of not driving my car, but for now my plan is to make new custom pods. If I do that I will post pictures for everyone's amusement. I know you've said you are thrilled with your pods, have you had any issues with kicking them when you are getting in or out of the car?

I'll be taking pictures of the job along the way, so if there is anything you need dimensions on, or detailed pictures of anything, don't hesitate to ask as I will have the whole car torn down.

And good luck with the Armada, sounds like you've got a winning setup for that one too.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
2fast4thelaw

I can't tell exactly where the buzz is but I do not its the plastic pieces. I will invesitigate and I will post pics where its coming from.

I just bought an entire Alpine Type-R system for my Nissan Armada this week.

Damn, The Gun Metal Grey Armada looks sweet parked next to my Ultra Yellow Z.

Alpine IVA-W200 DVD Head-unit
XM Radio -add-on module
Alpine MRV-F345 V-12 main Amp (75 X 4 watts)
Alpine MRD-M605 V-12 Sub Amp (600 X 1 watts)
Alpine SPR-17S -Type-R 6.5" Splits (Front and Rear)
Alpine SWR-1242-D Type-R 12" Sub
Q-Logic 1.25cu ft Slot ported Enclosure
Myron & Davis 9" DVD Flip Down Monitor (Factory Match)
Rammat with Closed Cell foam

I did some carefull shopping all got all this stuff for $2500.00