Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Kenwood Navigation/ Screen Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:38 PM
boughettoguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood Navigation/ Screen Question

I have a ddx 8017 in my 03 touring w/o the nav, it's in the stock radio spot and recently I got the KNA 510 nav system. I wanted to get an inexpensive screen like the Farenheit T-7000MHR. I wanted to do this so that I could have the nav shown on the farenheit and still be able to watch dvds and my video ipod on my 8017. I was told that the 8017 wasnt capable of showing 2 different things on two different screens at the same time, and that the nav couldnt be shown on the farenheit if hooked up to the 8017. So I am either going to get another source to control the nav on the cubby screen, or get the farenheit and use it for dvds and stuff while using the nav on the 8017.

I could go with the farenheit and have the nav hooked up to the 8017 and use the farenhiet to watch dvds. My question for this would I be able to watch my videos on my ipod which is hooked up to the video imput on the 8017 on the farenheit or can the 8017 only output dvds to other screens.

My other idea would be to get the more expensive Kenwood LZ-702W touch screen. I could put this up top and hook the nav up to that and then still use the bottom screen for ipod/dvds/radio. My questions for this would be how much work would need to be done to get it to fit in the cubby, if i could hook it up to the 8017 as another screen for dvd or the video ipod, and would i be able to hear the nav, or would it cause trouble because i have two different sources for the speakers. I also want to know if I would lose any features of the nav by not hooking it up to the 8017.

I know this is a long post but thanks for any help
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
NIZZMO

I have the 6019 and you can watch the dvds on video out and still play your Ipod or radio and have full control but I do not think you can put the navi on a different screen. I have the kca-ip500 to control my Ipod video but it will only play the mp3's how are you watching the Ipod's video's ? I assume your
just connecting rca's to the input source and have the Ipod connected to it via mini jack but can not control anything through your HU .
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The amount of work to put the LZ702W in the cubby would be the same as the Farenheit, as they are both 7" screens. Most people on here feel the Farenheit is the only screen that fits in the 03 cubby since there is only a write up using the Farenheit. If you want the Navigation to display on the 7" screen the only way to acomplish this is using the LZ702W. The LZ702W has additional inputs so you can feed the video output from the DDX into the LZ702W. The only draw back to this set up is you will only be able to listen to the Navigation thru the speaker on the LZ702W, not thru your car speakers since the Navigation is not going thru the DDX. As for the video ouitput of the DDX, it will sent out any video signal that is going thru the video inputs of the unit or the internal DVD signal. If you have a Kenwood TV tuner hooked up to it will even send out that signal thru the video output. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

THEDUKE’s and NIZZMO’s comments are all correct (good job, guys!). I would like to add some other thoughts (and nothing to correct their informative postings …only to elaborate).

I’ll throw up some pictures of what we are talking about in case a new reader is lurking and wondering what we are talking about. …And, pictures make it more interesting…

Kenwood DDX 8017 (which is a HU/DVD/CD/Radio/Nav/touch-screen …does it all)

Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor (touch-screen/internal speaker)

Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit (a.k.a. Garmin GVN 52)

I looked at installing the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor (a couple of other guys here looked at this as well) in the upper/forward cubby. It fits with this caveat: The control buttons on the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor are along the bottom side of the unit. That means you need to do some custom dremel-work on the lower trim piece of the cubby to expose those control buttons, and also some custom acrylic work to make it look OEM. You can run the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor with an IR remote, but the monitor’s IR receiver-eye is also on the lower border of the monitor. That means you have to hold the remote in an elevated way (“hand-up-in-the-air” near eye-level while seated in the car) to operate via the remote since the Monitor’s IR eye will be low in the forward/upper cubby. That would look and be stupid. Something else: The bezel-configuration on the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor is not “friendly” to installation in the upper/forward cubby of the Z. (This is getting to be a long post, but if you want more info on that, post back to this/your thread.)

As the other guys’ postings on this thread have already said:

1) You can output the Kenwood DDX 8017’s DVD player to other screens. For example: You could install a Farenheit (or any LCD monitor for that matter) in the upper/forward cubby and display DVD output from the Kenwood DDX 8017 to a remote screen. That’s how people do this in their SUVs (sending the DVD output to headrest monitors to entertain the kids in the backseats).

2) You can only display the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation on the touch-screen connected to the navigation unit. For example: If you connect the navigation unit to the DDX 8017, that’s the only screen you can use it on. Same is true if you connect the navigation unit to the hide-away box of the LZ-702W Monitor.

Something else… You have selected the best navigation unit. You will truly love the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit. It’s as Garmin product; and has Garmin’s great interface, clear graphics, and wonderful application software. I am using three GPS car-products from three different companies, and Garmin (the OEM supplier for your Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit) is clearly the best. –Spike
Old 01-19-2007, 08:12 PM
azula

i'm a bit confused as i might be doing the same set up, i have the ddx-8017 and am looking into navigation as well....will the kna-g510 work with a ferenheit screen? or do i have to get the "uncooperative lz-702w"?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by azula
i'm a bit confused as i might be doing the same set up, i have the ddx-8017 and am looking into navigation as well....will the kna-g510 work with a ferenheit screen? or do i have to get the "uncooperative lz-702w"?
The Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit will not work with Farenheit LCD. The Farenheit is not a touch-screen device, and the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit requires touch-screen support.

The Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit does work with the Kenwood LZ-70W Monitor (which is a touch-screen device).

The trick: Installing the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor in the upper/forward cubby so that it looks right and works right. --Spike

========================
EDIT: Just connect the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit to your Kenwood DDX 8017 for navigation functions with touch-screen support.

Last edited by Spike100; 01-19-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:10 PM
boughettoguy

Thanks for all the imput guys. I am going to go with the Farenheit because it will be much easier and cheaper. For NIZZMO I have the kca-ip500 to hook up my ipod but I also have rca's hooked up to one of the video imputs and I can just hook that into my ipod headphone jack and watch videos. You are right, it doesnt go through the 8017 interface, you have to manually do it on the ipod, but when i got it there was no other way to watch videos on your ipod on the screen. Now there is a new kenwood ipod adapter coming out that supports video, but you need to get one of their new head units and after seeing how the kca-ip500 worked, i am a little skeptical of it to say the least