Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Impedance of Bose sub

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 09:59 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impedance of Bose sub

Ok, I've spent the entire day searching and couldn't come up with anything. I found that the fronts are 4 ohms and the rears are 30 ohms, but found nothing about the sub. I pulled out the sub, but there is no rating on the back. I even tried using a multimeter, but I really don't know what I'm doing and couldn't figure it out.

I want to do a really cheap upgrade to the Bose and have Infinity Kappa 63.5i's on order for the fronts. I'm thinking I'll just buy a $70 free air sub and swap it out with the Bose sub and drive it with the Bose sub amp. I know it's not audiophile quality, but I'm just looking for some improvment. I read a thread by InternetABYSS where he said he was driving and aftermarket sub from the Bose amp. He doesn't mention the impedance of the sub. I PM'ed him, but I don't think he's been around lately.

Someday, I plan on ripping the whole thing out, but for now I want to spend my money on things to make the car go faster.

Here's a dumb question. Let's say I never find out the impedance and had to guess, would I cause less damage going with a 4 or 8 ohm sub?

Last edited by perfectlyfrank; 04-10-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:50 AM
shagz

I think you may find the rating for the sub on the sub amp somewhere. You'll have to either get a powered sub or get an amp to power the sub and the sub itself. It'll all depend on the preout on the main Bose amp. The main speaker amp is located in the trunk area, and the sub amp is I believe inside the sub area.
If you have the service manual you can look at the schematics, but they don't say anything about the impedence etc. If you don't have the service manual, I can email you screen shots of the pages. PM me a non-msn or a non-yahoo email address.
It's good that the fronts are 4ohms, so that means we can just slide in an aftermarket speaker and it'll work fine. That in itself will make a world of difference.
Please post what you find out. After the dealer replace the Bose amp out to fix the boomy bass problem, the audio-pilot is not working in my car, so I'll have to take it in. I will ask the technician who works on the Z, the specs for the sub. Will post asap.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:10 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

I should have mentioned, I also pulled out the sub amp, which has no mention of the impedance either.