Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Farenheit LCD and Alpine big TRouble~!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 AM
bugz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farenheit LCD and Alpine big TRouble~!!

Hi~ Audio experts and Alpine 9861 users here,

I realli need your immidiate help here, now my car cant even start right after my stupid Alpine HU DIY. Also, Plese excuse my poor language skill. If you need any info or anything, please feel free to ask, I will try to explain it more detailly.

Here is my problem... I tried to install Alpine 9861 and LCD to replace my old panasonic HU. I saw there are some tags on the wire that indicate wut color wire is it.... so I basically just reconnect all the wires following the tags and manuel.... there are few wires that I dont know where to connect to.. such as "Remote to" and some blue wires for Antenna and AMP ( I am sorry, I forgot the wire name, I will remove the HU and provide you more detail wire names ...). Anyway, I am sure those wires are BLUE, and I got confused how to connect these "Antenna" wires.... the person who installed my panasonic previously seems connecting all the blue wires together ( four wires total ) ..... So, I just installed my HU like the way he did... Now, the problem is... After I done all the wiring and test-run the HU .... I GOT NO SOUND~~!! I can turn on the HU and do all kinda settings ( Obviously, the power does go thru...), but I just cant hear any sound at all... I check the mute setting and I do have it OFF... MOST importantly, after I reconnect the battery and everything back.... now my engine(car) can start properly. when I try to start my engine (turning the key), once it got started.. it will right away be stalled. The only way to keep the engine running is to start the engine and add a little bit of gas to keep it going. The idle now is very unstable and seems like the car can stall in any moment....

Also, I hab some trouble turning on my LCD. there are two power wires for the Farenheit , one red and one black... I connect the black one w. the black wire (ground) of HU .... and I connect the red wire to the YELLOW wire of the HU.... I am not sure if i connect this right... but there is no power goin to the LCD....

is there any other wire i can try ??

Any feedbak and suggestion will be very appreciated... Thank you

Last edited by bugz; 04-29-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bugz
Hi~ Audio experts and Alpine 9861 users here,

I realli need your immidiate help here, now my car cant even start right after my stupid Alpine HU DIY. Also, Plese excuse my poor language skill. If you need any info or anything, please feel free to ask, I will try to explain it more detailly.

Here is my problem... I tried to install Alpine 9861 and LCD to replace my old panasonic HU. I saw there are some tags on the wire that indicate wut color wire is it.... so I basically just reconnect all the wires following the tags and manuel.... there are few wires that I dont know where to connect to.. such as "Remote to" and some blue wires for Antenna and AMP ( I am sorry, I forgot the wire name, I will remove the HU and provide you more detail wire names ...). Anyway, I am sure those wires are BLUE, and I got confused how to connect these "Antenna" wires.... the person who installed my panasonic previously seems connecting all the blue wires together ( four wires total ) ..... So, I just installed my HU like the way he did... Now, the problem is... After I done all the wiring and test-run the HU .... I GOT NO SOUND~~!! I can turn on the HU and do all kinda settings ( Obviously, the power does go thru...), but I just cant hear any sound at all... I check the mute setting and I do have it OFF... MOST importantly, after I reconnect the battery and everything back.... now my engine(car) can start properly. when I try to start my engine (turning the key), once it got started.. it will right away be stalled. The only way to keep the engine running is to start the engine and add a little bit of gas to keep it going. The idle now is very unstable and seems like the car can stall in any moment....

Also, I hab some trouble turning on my LCD. there are two power wires for the Farenheit , one red and one black... I connect the black one w. the black wire (ground) of HU .... and I connect the red wire to the YELLOW wire of the HU.... I am not sure if i connect this right... but there is no power goin to the LCD....

is there any other wire i can try ??

Any feedbak and suggestion will be very appreciated... Thank you
You did start correctly by disconnecting the battery to protect your car's electical system. But, obviously things have gone wrong even with this protective step. Here are some points/suggestions:

1) Sounds as though you may have damaged one or more electical components, the wiring, or even the ECU in your car. That would explain the starting and idling problem.

2) There is no way to determine from your post why the speakers are silent. Do you have an external amp or driving the speakers from the internal amp in your new H/U?

3) You should not connect your Farenheit to the yellow wire. The yellow wire is always "hot," and the Farenheit will drain your battery if the car stands idle for 2 or 3 days since the Farenheit always draws power (it remains in "standby" mode). You connect the Farenheit to a fused ACC source.

Sorry that I cannot provide better or specific help.

--Spike
Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 PM
bugz

Thank you spike~~ ^ ^

I have my speakers connect to internal amp of HU right now...

When I connected the color wires... I matched the tags on the wires to wutever wires that shows in the HU manuel...

The only wires that I am not sure of are... some blue wires for Antenna and amp ....

how do I know which one is the "fused ACC source" ...?? the yellow wire has a "battery" tag on it... = = lll
there are some color wires... which one can i pick ??

If it damages my ECU... how do i fix it ? can I just reset the ECU or something like that ??

I heard it's possible for us to reset ECU ourselves.... how do i do that...

Thank you...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Mr_Drifter

you can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few hours
Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 PM
gNaRKiLL

I highly doubt you hurt your ecu, you probably just have some wires connected that shouldnt be. Make sure you got a good tight fit on the battery and make sure the battery isnt really low on voltage or your alternator fuse isnt fried for some reason. When my alternator fuse went I had the same problem as you did.

Also any wires you dont use, leave them alone, just tape or cap them off but dont connect them together.

As for the lcd its either red or yellow that has constant power, you dont want that one like said above.

You probably have no sound because you are causing the amp in the deck to fault because you probably have the plus and minus connected together. Uncross the wires, check all your fuses and go from there.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Lsmith9523

yellow wire (constant) red wire (switched)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
bugz

Thank you guys for input... I connected the LCD to "RED" wire, and now it's workin great.... Thank you spike...

However, I still have problem w. head unit... I still have no sound ... i can see images... it does transfer image to LCD.... = = lll

alright, I just re-installed the head unit again... the "BLUE" wires (source from the car) are 1. Amp-turn on, 2. Power antenna, and one "Purple" wire says 18G Battery...!!

So now I connected the bule wire of HU to this blue power antenna wire ONLY, and i just taped the others ... Can someone tell me wut I should connect to " Purple" 18G battery ... Also wut is amp turn on...

I checked the wires... looked like i have all positive and negtive connecting right... the HU is certainly running...but i dont have the sound... Maybe there is a start up trick for the Alpine 9861 or there is a sound lock ?? alpine users plz help me.....

the wires left now that i have not connected are... ground chasis, ground amp, remote in, 18 G battery and amp turn on ....

I do have external amps for woofer... but it shouldnt cause the problem rite? i just need to plug the signal calbe of it....

I may just only have a small problem here... or maybe a terrible one~~ = = lll
Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
bugz

Do I just unplug the battery and wait to reset ECU ??

the weird engine starting up is my only trouble now (besides no audio)... everything in the car is functioning great....AC, meters, windows, etc anyone knows why my car is acting funny ?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Do I just unplug the battery and wait to reset ECU ??

the weird engine starting up is my only trouble now (besides no audio)... everything in the car is functioning great....AC, meters, windows, etc anyone knows why my car is acting funny ?
Yes, disconnecting the battery will reset most functions in the ECU, but that obviously isn't working since you have done this and still have the startup/idling problem. At this point, I would consider the engine problem much more significant than the "silent-speaker" problem. I would pull the H/U (leaving any grounds in place and isolate (wrap) any "hot" wires -- don't allow any exposed wires come into contact with on another). If you continue experiencing the startup/idle problem with the new H/U "uninstalled," then you know it's probably the ECU; and, it is time take your car to the hospital (Dealership or a Professional Installer).

Something else that makes no sense is the fact that connecting the Farenheit to a red wire allows it to display an image while connecting to the yellow wire did not. A yellow wire is a constant power line, so that connection should have worked (although that is not the way to connect the Farenheit, it should still give you an image and functional LCD -- it's only that that way of connecting a Farenheit can potentially/probably cause battery drain).

--Spike
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Takhteh

I'm not sure as to whether or not you DID connect the remote amp turn on wire from your HU to the external amps? If the amps are only hooked up to the sub, however, this would only account for you getting/not getting any bass.

On another note, it sounds like you don't have the HU 'properly' grounded to the chassis. You will have to get one of those small metal connectors to stick on the end of the grounding wire and inbetween a screw that bolts into the car chassis, somewhere underneath that center console apparatus. I used the two lower screws all the way at the bottom and underneath, if I recall correctly. Also, make sure your amps are grounded as well. And as mentioned before, there may be some wires you need not use. If that is the case, cover their end with some electrical tape and let be.

Don't know if you already accounted for any of this, but just FYI..
Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
bugz

........ Alright, new update and new problem... good and bad ?

After I checked my wire connection hundred times w/out knowing wut the problem... I was kinda give up. The manuel says, If you have an inteference device... the HU will be automatically set to MUTE ... so, I got frustrated... I just grab some beers and then hit "refresh" (which i alreay tried)... and BANG~ BANG~~ I got my Music rocking.... = = lll

Yes, I do have sound now (becoz of the BEER??~~ )
Like I said, I did try to push the Refresh... but that was be4 I removed those "mystery blue wires",. .....
Thank you guys for the help and tip... and i am happy that i have sound now....

The trouble is... I lost my SUB Woofers now... I dont understand why there is no power goin to the sub ...
I have my sub conected to external amp and run seperate power source.....
The only thing that I have connecting the SUB (sub+amp) to HU now is the signal cable w/ Red and White Heads(RCA cable? sorry i dont know wut it's called)

IS this becoz I disconnected the "amp-turn on" wire ?? or 18G battery wire ?? anyone knows wut 18G battery wire (purple) is ??

Spike,
Thank you for the suggestion and ur help... at this point now, I would let the car run a bit, and observe if the problem still remains....

Takheth,
I believe that I grounded everything probably... and i do have it screwed into chasis... ^^
Do you think "the remote amp turn on wire" is the reason for me losing the sub woofer ??
how do I connect it to the HU ??
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Lsmith9523

You should have a blue, remote turn on (trigger wire) that comes from the headunit,,,your amp (turn on wire ) should connect to that blue remote turn on wire. That supplies your amp the power to turn on. Check and make sure you didnt forget to re-connect the amp (turn on ) blue wire.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Anu2g

you'll probably notice that your amp isn't on (i.e. the light on the amp does not light up). this is because u need to connect the amp turn-on wire from your hu to the corresponding input on your amplifier. also, connect both of those ground wires on your hu to something metal...if you have a black ground wire from the stock wiring harness, that should suffice.

I dunno what the 18G battery is...the 18G means the wire is 18 gauge. you probably need to connect that to the battery, though that doesn't sound right. In general, there are two purple wires (both for speaker output), so I'm not sure what this purple wire is.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Takhteh

....I believe that I grounded everything probably... and i do have it screwed into chasis... ^^
Do you think "the remote amp turn on wire" is the reason for me losing the sub woofer ??
how do I connect it to the HU ??
I think that's exactly it. The RCA (white/red) cables simply send signals from the HU to the external amps and have nothing to do with powering them up, or rather, "waking them up" when the HU turns on. You may need to buy some amp remote tun-on wire then (check EBAY), and yes, this is usually "blue." Then just connect this to the appropriate remote turn-on wire from your HU and then to your external amps.

Remember to keep the remote turn-on wire and actual POWER wire together, and separated from any RCA/(EXternal) Speaker wires as this wil potentially cause distortion in your sound. Here is a great but very simple diagram:

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm