Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

AVIC-D3 Install Guide

Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Max-Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myspivey
what faceplate mounting bracket did you use?
Metra 99-7602
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
nMugen

what the heck man, i am not getting sound, the power works and everything else does... but no sound... cant hear the radio OR a cd

any idea?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM
nMugen

anyone?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 PM
nMugen

not even 1 person knows?!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:05 PM
xNeo

Do I need the Dash kit to install the radio? I have Radio and harness in hand, but not the dash kit. Do I just use the trim once I am done to clean up the look, or does it have parts I will need to actually make it fit?

If it is just a trim peace to make it look good, is it easy to put in after? Becaue I probably won't get it until the end of the week.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:46 PM
UCIgrad

So just to make sure, you don't need to connect the Dimmer Ground, Amplifier Ground, or Amp Turn On to anything? Just tape them off? I understand everything else. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 PM
UCIgrad

Disregard last post. I installed it today. Love it. I also hooked up a zune in the rear cubby as well as an ipod connection in the front cubby. (No need for 2 screens. . . . . . for now.)
Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 PM
eod nhoj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent write-up.was a great guide for me with installing a pioneer avic z2 in my Z just needed to download a update from another website for the bypass to work.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
deviljon

anyone know where i can pick up the metra 70-7550 harness? just got my d3 and dont want to wait to have it shipped.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:22 AM
deviljon

just installed! woo!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:19 AM
clarkemtp

Fantastic Post, *many* thanks!

I installed my AVIC-D3 yesterday and I have NO doubt this saved me MUCHO time. By the way, just in case anyone is wondering...

I loves me some Pio AVIC-D3, WOOT! Even BEFORE I switched out the stock speakers, with just the HU swap the sound in the car was improved 1000%, the stock headunit is SUCH a complete and total piece of crap. I can't emphasize that enough. lol

One clarification though, that connector you mention here...

Well, if you're installing a steering wheel control interface, like the PAC SWI-PS like I did, you do need to tap three wires in that plug and ground a fourth. There are two connection plugs "left over" after making up the harness to plug in the D3 to the Nissan wiring, a white one and this one. This is the one that's used.

Anyway, I called it a "clarification" and not a correction, but everyone doesn't have steering wheel controls and some choose not to reconnect them. But if you are doing this install and using/keeping them, that's the connector you need.

Again, all my thanks this DIY saved me untold headaches! If you're ever in Corpus, I'll buy you a beer (or other "adult beverage" of your choice. lol).

Regards.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:57 AM
deviljon

installed my d3 2 days ago with this guide. VERY helpful and clear. One thing though, i bought the metra 80-7550 from circuit city instead of the 70-7550 (they don't carry that one) and was still able to do the vss and bypass. you just have to cut the smart plug end and re-connect all the wires.

thanks again for the tutorial!
Old 10-06-2007, 03:58 PM
SolarOrangeZ

I'm sure some of you guys have installed bluetooth. How exactly do you run the wires for those. Where does the microphone go?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:32 AM
kdogg24

I installed bluetooth and XM along with the Avic D3. I placed the bluetooth box directly below the deck, (behind the climate controls). The bluetooth box is small enough to fit below the white controls box. I then ran the microphone out of the bottom left side of the dash, (drivers side), tucked the wire up above where the drivers feet go, and ran it all the way up to my flip down visor. Works perfectly there because it doesn't pickup lots of wind/road noise, it's close to my face so people can hear my clearly also.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:37 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Cool, I think I get it. I tried removing panel in front of the driver seat, to the left of the visor and I don't want to break anything. Is there a writeup on how to remove that panel. I am not even sure what its called.....quarterpanel?

edit: I got it, just had to pull hard towards the rear view mirror for the things to unclip and them pull up and out.

Last edited by SolarOrangeZ; 10-07-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 AM
kdogg24

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ
Cool, I think I get it. I tried removing panel in front of the driver seat, to the left of the visor and I don't want to break anything. Is there a writeup on how to remove that panel. I am not even sure what its called.....quarterpanel?

edit: I got it, just had to pull hard towards the rear view mirror for the things to unclip and them pull up and out.
I'm not sure what "panel" you are referring to, but if you are talking about running the wire along the door panel, you can just lift up on just about everything in the door sill's to remove the parts. All of the parts in the door area's just snap into place, and come straight out with a pull. Even the water seals.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
deviljon

does anyone have a problem with the radio signal being very weak and all the stations having a lot of static? how were you able to fix this?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
SolarOrangeZ

I haven't had a chance to install mine, but when I went to circuit city to pick u the iPod cable, they said that I would also be neeing a antenna adapter cable. I am at work so don't have the model no. of the cable but I'll try to put it up when I get home tonight.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:35 AM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by deviljon
does anyone have a problem with the radio signal being very weak and all the stations having a lot of static? how were you able to fix this?
I'll bet you didn't hook up the Z's antenna module to power? You can use the "power antenna" lead from the headunit to feed it. It's a signal amplifier between the antenna and the headunit. If you don't power it, you'll get exactly the symptoms you describe. Basically, a sketchy signal.

Regards.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
kdogg24

Originally Posted by clarkemtp
I'll bet you didn't hook up the Z's antenna module to power? You can use the "power antenna" lead from the headunit to feed it. It's a signal amplifier between the antenna and the headunit. If you don't power it, you'll get exactly the symptoms you describe. Basically, a sketchy signal.

Regards.

Exactly...you have to connect the antenna cable (blue) to the power antenna cable (blue w/ white stripe I think)

This will correct your problem of weak signals, and you will be blown away by the clarity of the Avic d3 system!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AVIC-D3 Install Guide