Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

AVIC-D3 Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
IronYuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread is very helpful.

I have some questions about some things.

I have a dash kit that was used with a panasonic reciever, can i use it on this? It seems to be very similar to the one that is pictured here, but theres a chassis ground instead of a dimmer ground. Is that okay?

The guy who owned my car before me put in satellite sirius radio and the antenna wire, is coming from right where the windshield meets the dash. Its annoying sitting there. Its beyond where you uninstall parts in this guide. Right on the edge of the windshield. Is there a way to get this out?

thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
IronYuppie

oh and i think i might have screwed the mute wire in my install, can you replace that?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
ev0k1ll3r

anyone know if it would be possible to use the blutooth mic that came with the bose system. that way i wouldnt have to mount a new mic for the d3 i would just use the factory one that is so nicely placed.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
IronYuppie

anyone?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 AM
gohandbz88

I just finished installilng the D3 using this guide as well and everything worked out perfectly. I do have one question for those that installed it. Where did you guys tuck away all the wires at? I'm having the hardest time getting everything back in without the wires getting in the way. I can get the HU in but having lots of difficulty mounting that white box back in.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
UCIgrad

Originally Posted by gohandbz88
I just finished installilng the D3 using this guide as well and everything worked out perfectly. I do have one question for those that installed it. Where did you guys tuck away all the wires at? I'm having the hardest time getting everything back in without the wires getting in the way. I can get the HU in but having lots of difficulty mounting that white box back in.
It's a ***** for sure. Little to no room back there! The trick is making the wires as short as possible when you are making your harness, connecting the VSS wire, e-brake wire, ground wire, GPS antenna wire, etc. One is for sure, you don't want to block the fan on the rear of the D3 because it will limit the life of your system. One thing that will help is to pull the RCA wires through first before pushing the HU back into place. The first time I did it the other way around and it was a ***** pulling them through the bottom underneath the AC box.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
gohandbz88

Thanks for the pointers. I'll look into shortening the wires.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Sprout

Good Afternoon All,
I just finished installing my D3 and this thing is awesome! This write up made it very easy as well as the PM suppport from Orbitalpunk. I also installed the I-pod adapter and steering wheel control interface. Everything is working perfectly!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
deviljon

guys i need your help!!!

i installed the d3 following this guide on a z with bose (no navi) and after installation, everything works except for the sound.

have any of you installed this on a bose unit? what additional items did you need for the install, and where do you hook it up to?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
IronYuppie

guys i need your help!!!
i used the 7551 wiring harness (it comes w/ rca plugs) to connect to the rcas to the speaker wiring.

Also dont forget the amplifier blue wire( i forgot that when i first hooked up and got no sound).
Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 AM
clarkemtp

Guys, guys, guys. Stop. Halt. Cease and desist!

You guys with Bose systems that are using the Metra 7551 are definitely making a big boo-boo. This...

...while it may "work", i.e. you can hear sound, is definitely NOT what you need or would work best.

That harness is simply a Metra 7550 Nissan harness with RCA's in place of the speaker leads. *smacks-self in forehead* Will everything "plug in"? Yeah, it will, but then you're sending an aftermarket headunit's speaker level output, which can be as different as the number of headunits on the market, into the Bose amps through those RCA's. Then people come back here wondering why they've got hiss, noise and snap, crackle and pop?! Well, umm, duh! lol

Look. You guys sprung for a $30k-ish car with Bose. Now you're probably laying down AT LEAST $600-$700 and UP for a new double-din, aftermarket NAV headunit. Spend a few extra bucks and hook the damn thing up right so it sounds the best it can with the Bose amp/speakers.

So, you ask, if the 7551 isn't correct, what DO I need Clark? Well, I'm glad you asked! Go to www.pac-audio.com and look up your application for the exact model number but it's this, in a nutshell.

Pac Audio OEM Bose adapter OEM-1. This adapter will allow you to "level match" the output of the HU to the Bose amps and it will still have all the correct Nissan plugs on it so you don't have to cut your stock headunit dash wiring, and will wire up to the correct leads on the "insert-aftermarket-headunit-here" that you're installing. AVIC-D3 Pio's in the case of this thread.

As I said, check their website to be sure, but i *think* the correct part number is ROEM-NIS2. But look for yourself. That is all. lol

KThnxBye.

Last edited by clarkemtp; 02-06-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 AM
IronYuppie

...while it may "work", i.e. you can hear sound, is definitely NOT what you need or would work best.
the radio still functions with the 7551 adapter(no hiss, only hiss when i connected the 7550) and some prefer it.

I understand what you mean though , but it isnt absolutely necessary in my eyes.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 AM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by IronYuppie
the radio still functions with the 7551 adapter(no hiss, only hiss when i connected the 7550) and some prefer it.

I understand what you mean though , but it isnt absolutely necessary in my eyes.
Glad the 7551 worked out for you. But make no mistake it does NOT work out for everyone. Scroll down... Post #4, for example, in this thread. As I pointed out, it's just a 7550 with RCA's replacing the speaker leads.

Anyway, just to be crystal clear you're absolutely correct. No, I didn't say it was absolutely necessary. Only necessary to do the job right and get the best performance out of the entire system, i.e. better SQ, less interference/noise, etc.

If there are going to be people posting, ESPECIALLY in this thread, about how to do the job with the cheapest/"might get you by" components, then I feel it necessary for someone to post how to do the job with the correct components!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
BlueberryYumYum

nice write up will be doing this soon...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
latin_racer

So I went ahead and bought it anyways. I couldn't resist myself. Credit cards are evil but who gives a ****. I'm not going to live forever in this life. might as well enjoy something.

I bought the pioneer avic d3x for a grand total of $781.95 w/ shipping (bluetooth, ipod cable, remote as well). I get a $200 mail in rebate so the final total should be 581.95!!!! Not bad for the complete package....!

Here is the link for anyone who is interested to jump on this great deal....

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Pioneer-A...k=searchViewed

I'll be using this guide soon. hope everything works out.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM
PPW_07_Z

Just wanted to throw my "thank you" in here real quick - I installed my D3 last Wednesday with the help of this thread and everything went as planned. I took a whole day off from work, took it slow, and now my base non-bose system has been transformed into a DVD/Navi/Bluetooth/iPod monster :-D

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and made my life easier!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM
dirtmcgurt

So what is the exact name of the adapter you need to prevent hiss if you have the BOSE system. No one seems to be talking about that too much. I bought the damn thing today and now realize I might have to change my speakers. I have a lease so I don't want to do that. Any assists?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:38 PM
kinkybriefcase

Great write up I installed mine on my 05 this weekend using only this guide and it works perfectly including the bypass. What trim ring did you use I would love to use that on mine the flimsy ring that came with the unit broke the second I tightened the back screws!
Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 AM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by dirtmcgurt
So what is the exact name of the adapter you need to prevent hiss if you have the BOSE system. No one seems to be talking about that too much. I bought the damn thing today and now realize I might have to change my speakers. I have a lease so I don't want to do that. Any assists?
www.pac-audio.com

model #: ROEM-NIS2
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 AM
deviljon

Originally Posted by clarkemtp
www.pac-audio.com

model #: ROEM-NIS2
you have been UBER helpful with everything. just finished an install this weekend with the pac-audio bose adapter (it's huge and makes stuffing the a/c box almost impossible to shove back in). overall, the install was pretty simple with absolutely no hissing what so ever! thanks so much!

Quick Reply: AVIC-D3 Install Guide