Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Front Speaker recommendations..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007 | 10:27 AM
Hybrid90

Default Front Speaker recommendations..

I'm just about finished with my system install. Everything works fine but the front speakers I have which are Infinity 6012i is just too harsh on the high side. The tweets are high to the point it kinda hurts your ears and when I turn down the tweets.. the overall sound kinda sucks ***..

I'm running just a midrange speaker in the back with no highs and with a little less power then the fronts..

Are there any other brand of 2 way speakers for the front that the tweets are nice and warm even turned up? Any recommendations? Looking to only spend a max of $100.

Any tricks to tune the system? I'm running an Alpine CDA-7949 HU, an Alpine EQ processor ERA-G320 and just can't seem to make it sound smooth overall..
Old 06-20-2007 | 10:34 AM
sq40

$100 Max? Get a Set of MTX or Polks Then.
Old 06-20-2007 | 10:39 AM
Hybrid90

Well I'm not a hardcore music freak.. just don't want my speakers to sound really harsh.. my friends recommend me to these http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-Eclipse-S...QQcmdZViewItem, they any good?
Old 06-20-2007 | 10:41 AM
sq40

Originally Posted by Hybrid90
Well I'm not a hardcore music freak.. just don't want my speakers to sound really harsh.. my friends recommend me to these http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-Eclipse-S...QQcmdZViewItem, they any good?
Those should work well for you too.

Since you have all alpine gear, have you thought about buying corresponding Alpine Speakers? Usually going with stuff from the same manufacturer yeilds great results when you are on a budget.
Old 06-20-2007 | 10:49 AM
Hybrid90

Hey thanks for the recommendations on the Alpines...

After reading about some speakers on here.. alot of people use the DLS brand from Bing and came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/DLS-226-6-CLASSI...QQcmdZViewItem

any thoughts on this? I just want to stick with the coaxials cuz I don't want to drill holes for the separate components.
Old 06-20-2007 | 11:01 AM
sq40

Originally Posted by Hybrid90
Hey thanks for the recommendations on the Alpines...

After reading about some speakers on here.. alot of people use the DLS brand from Bing and came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/DLS-226-6-CLASSI...QQcmdZViewItem

any thoughts on this? I just want to stick with the coaxials cuz I don't want to drill holes for the separate components.
DLS is another good Speaker.. So is CDT. Just remember though, If you are not amping them, you really want to find something with an RMS of less than 50w, most HUs only put out 15-20w RMS and you really wont be getting the optimal use of them on HU power alone.

At the Sub $100 Price point, there really are a lot of choice, but the differences are not all that great. Look for something that has a light cone material, larger ferrite magnet and low RMS. For the tweeter portion, Look for a Soft Dome material if you don't like "Harshness", or look for a Titanium Dome and just EQ that harshness out.

Of all of the $100 Speakers I have tested (AND ITS BEEN A BUNCH) MTX has the best Low End of any I have tried. MB Quart has the best "High End" of any with their Discus Series. Alpine Type S is probably the best "All Arround" speaker for low power too.

CDT, Polk, DLS, Eclipse all sound good, but want an Amp with 40+ watts RMS to come alive.
Old 06-20-2007 | 11:03 AM
sq40

I Also wanted to add,

No need to drill holes, you have Tweeter Mounts in your Sail Pannels and they just screw right out and you can EASILY mount a new tweeter in there. Components are the Only Way to go.. But usually want more Power..

I would buy a NICE two channel amp for your front speakers.
Old 06-20-2007 | 11:22 AM
Hybrid90

Yeah I already have a 40x4 rockford fosgate amp going to those surrounds. So was just looking for a coaxial for the ease of install. Thanks again for all the recommendations sir!
Old 06-20-2007 | 01:52 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

my opinipon is that under 100 bucks you wont find MUCH difference, most under 100 dollars coaxials have a mylar tweeter or some other kind of crappy tweeter, and a simple cap for a high pass, those kind of designs are just not condusive to "warm" highs...

but if you are looking for definetly under 100, honstely, believe it or not, the speaker you are current running is one of the "smoothest" speakres you will find in that price range... so if you think THEY are harsh...you can try just turning the high setting lower on the headunit, and if you have an aftmarket headunit, amke sure the "loudness" function is off, it jacks up the bass and treble and makes for a pretty bad sound

b
Old 06-20-2007 | 03:49 PM
Spike100

Your budget (<$100) is too skimpy to get any significant improvement over what you already have. Your next step (to get the sound you want) requires adding an amp and component speakers in the front. Adding this to your CES puts you at 5 to 10 times what you want to spend. You are better-off staying with what you already have and turning down the treble.

--Spike