Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need a Term

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Term

I need the term for the storage box that goes under some of the '03 radios. It is rectangular and is lined with felt.

I don't remember why mine did not come equipped with this, but I have seen them available from Courtesy or someone and I cannot remember what it is called, so therefore I cannot search for it.

I am adding an aftermarket HU and would like to have that storage space (anyone know why some cars have no space there?).

I have been searching since 5 this afternoon, and cannot find a thing. Anyone know what it is called or where I can get one to convert my double den cubby into a HU + storage like some have from the factory?

Anyone know what it is called?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 PM
vaughn1576

It's sometimes known as a "cubby". It comes with some single DIN install kits.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Track

Thanks for the quick reply.

I always called it a cubby too, but I just searched over a hundred pages and everytime someone was referring to a "cubby" they were talking about the entire area under the door where my DVD Nav screen is located.

I am wanting to order one as part of an install kit, but I can't order something if I don't know what it is called. I've seen the kit that has the CD storage compartment in the bottom part, but I cannot find it for the life of me now. It may have been removed from the page where I saw it once.

Damnit. I don't even remember why my Z came with a double DIN stereo instead of that highly useful storage compartment.

Any clue on where I may get such an installation kit with the storage compartment for the bottom DIN?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think any Zs came stock with a single DIN head unit...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The part you are lookin for is an aftermarket kit for a single Din radio installation. It has the pocket underneath the radio. It is not an OEM part since all Z's came with a Double Din.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Track

In 2003, I saw many Z's on the lot with the storage cubby below the radio, but come to think of it, I have not seen it on later models in the lot. This may have been an '03 phenomena, but I do know they came that way in '03 with certain stereos, but not mine.

I remember being disappointed when I saw that mine (I think because I have DVD Nav?) had a bigger radio/cd player and no cubby underneath. It is not the Bose system, it is just a simple disc player, the one that came on the Track models that year.

I really wanna get this system in before I leave on a road trip and get busy for the rest of the summer, but this is like one of those episodes on Twilight Zone. I can't remember what it is called; other people are telling me it doesn't exist, and I know I've seen it, but w/o the term, I can't even search for it!

I promise, in '03 some Z's had a CD storage bin underneath the stereo.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have an 03 track without the NAV and it came with a double din. and my neighbor has an 03 track with NAV that also came with a DD. Also the first Z i saw in a showroom back in the day was an 03 touring (Bose) and had a double din. so there were definitely no models that had a single din.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Track

Single or double, I don't know, I'm looking for the storage slot that had felt lining that went under some of the radios that appeared in the '03 models. I think it only came with the most basic of radios on non-DVD equipped cars. Back in '03, mine was the first I saw w/o it.

I don't think the radio that came in any of the Track models ever had it.

Last edited by Track; 06-20-2007 at 09:28 PM.