Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Something New For a NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:55 PM
drexelNick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something New For a NAVI

Well this is my first post here, i've had my Z for about 3 weeks now and was seriously thinking about doing a carputer with a touchscreen monitor in the cubby...you know that old chestnut....

But i just bought something that basically does everything i want and the only drawback is that it's got a smaller screen...That's right boys and girls, i have the new iPhone!!!

Do you think it would be possible to mount it like a regular iPod but have it charge/play/navi/use as a hands free phone?!?!?! if so, i just basically saved myself a bunch of money. Granted, i'm sure someone someplace is thinking about doing this as well....So your thought's are appreciated

Anyone else with an iPhone had this idea by chance?!?!?!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drexelNick
Well this is my first post here, i've had my Z for about 3 weeks now and was seriously thinking about doing a carputer with a touchscreen monitor in the cubby...you know that old chestnut....

But i just bought something that basically does everything i want and the only drawback is that it's got a smaller screen...That's right boys and girls, i have the new iPhone!!!

Do you think it would be possible to mount it like a regular iPod but have it charge/play/navi/use as a hands free phone?!?!?! if so, i just basically saved myself a bunch of money. Granted, i'm sure someone someplace is thinking about doing this as well....So your thought's are appreciated

Anyone else with an iPhone had this idea by chance?!?!?!
I'm sure in the long run aftermarket items will pop up for you to do this... for now you'd probably to to find out some way to out put the video/audio and touchscreen onto the screen in cubby.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If your Z does not have OEM navigation, the upper/forward cubby is a natural position for your iPhone install. You will need to run a hardwire setup (a search on this subforum shows you how to do this) for a seemless install. It's fairly simple to do, and the mounting position is optimum. The Z offers a very flexible environment. Integrating an iPhone into your Z is very simple.

--Spike
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
drexelNick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i figured it's almost like putting in an iPod aux link. But i'd like to set it up on the actual charger so that it's just basically charging while telling me where to go.

I'd also try and make some sort of mic set up so that i can talk handsfree b/c you know any speaker phone pics up a ton of ambient noises. either that or i an just suck it up and get a bluetooth headset....but i like trying new things