Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stock NAV: Way to upgrade it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Colmino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock NAV: Way to upgrade it?

Subject says it all, really. My brother's the one who owns a brand new 350Z but I'm the sort of person who spends a lot more time researching things than buying them. While a GPS-based navigation system is the sort of thing that puts a goofy grin on anyone's face the first time they see it, I eventually have to assess things more practically.

I'd better mention up front that I'm not looking for a complete replacement of the unit. Far as I can tell, there's nothing at all out there along the lines of a totally stable package, guaranteed-or-your-money-back-and-no-hassle. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to bother with a custom package at this time.

Anyway, my main complaint with the stock nav is the framerate. The arrow representing the car seems to update five or six times a second. That's not too bad, I guess. The crappy LCD screen probably couldn't really do much better than that anyway. It's the map itself that's the problem. It updates once every several seconds. Quite lame. Makes me think the thing's run by a 386.

I guess the bottom-line here is that I'm hoping there's some sort of firmware (?) upgrade available for the stock nav. I figure a lot of people have it, and it certainly isn't a very stunning piece of work for $2k apart from the basic functionality it offers, so there's bound to be some options out there.

Anyone with info, please speak up.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:57 AM
rouxeny

Highly unlikely there will be anything hardware wise other than an occasional new nav disc. It would require too much I think to replace the whole rear nav box. I think you'll find that the vast majority of people find the navigation adequate to get around. I wouldn't use it to guide Tomahawks, but for more civilian duties, it's fine.

If you really want something upgradeable, get a car PC or an aftermarket unit. There will always be some new aftermarket unit you can swap when the technology arrives.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:25 PM
MySunset350Z

i was wondering about the stock nav myself. but the problem is that most people that get the Z's dont get the nav. not too much experimenting going on there.

i want to be able to play dvd's using the stock nav screen. im pretty sure i'd have to buy a seperate dvd player, but is it possible to run it to the stock screen. maybe even a fix to somehow rig it so it would play with the stock dvd player.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:51 AM
russman

I heard there is a way to play DVD's but you need some sort of a chip..
Old 05-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Colmino

Haha. I don't understand why playing DVDs is such a big deal to everyone. It would, of course, be grossly irresponsible to have that kind of distraction while driving, even if the driver can't hear it and is trying not to look. All I want is some way to turn the GPS functionality into something that doesn't look like it's being rendered by an Apple IIe. None of my (brother's) friends are terribly impressed with it after they hear about the $2k pricetag. And little wonder, really. A Gameboy Advance makes it look weak.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:21 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the reason it skips is not because the unit is slow, it doesnt take much power to run that, its changing the arrow based on a variety of sensors, including a gyro, speed input, and GPS input. these sensors only update their information a few times a second at best, GPS can be as bad as once every 10 seconds, the reason why with some aftermarket units that dont employ a gyro and speed sensor, it will show the car still going straight after making a turn untill a GPS signal corrects it..
Old 05-13-2003, 01:21 PM
MySunset350Z

the nav does talk when giving directions, so it would have volume if it is to play dvd's. and who says its a distraction? when your stuck in traffic that moves 1 foot every 10 minutes, then u need something to kill time. keeps road rage down. its more for show then anything.

i like the way the nav is set up in the Z because the tiny cubby hole has a use, and it can be out of sight if you want. i dont get the whole idea of not getting the nav and then buying a seperate dvd player and screen. the screens that tuck into the player are pretty nice, but most just stand out and look too messy.

just my .02
peace
Old 05-13-2003, 01:24 PM
MySunset350Z

Originally posted by russman
chip? what chip where?
need more info on this.

and it would save the trouble of having to buy a seperate dvd player.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:44 PM
synth19

Chip? ....... where did you hear this from? It is possible to convert the stock system to play DVD's. People have been doing this to their Acura CL's Navi systems for awhile now. There is a CONVERSION KIT available. Dont know if this will work on the 350z's system. More info here:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...?threadid=9795

A friend with a TL did it, it looked sweet. He doesnt use it for watching movies though, just for "show" I would assume it wouldnt be too good for the screen if used for long periods of time.

Originally posted by russman
Old 05-17-2003, 02:09 PM
JZC

Internet Abyss did it.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=Navtv

Badabing.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:34 PM
all_bark

get an in car pc.

I have had mine over a week now and it is sweet!

One of the many nice thing about them is that they are easily upgradable.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:57 PM
MySunset350Z

what am i going to do with a PC in my car??

now that is useless...unless its for show....IMO of course

thanks for that link i just e-mailed one of those people that sell kits or a fix for the DVD NAV, and ill let you know the details when i get a reply.

peace
Old 05-18-2003, 11:00 AM
JZC

If I had a PC in my car I'd been dead a long time ago.

I'd be posting on this board, then SMASH.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:00 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I did it too...

Added a PS2 for DVD souce and game system, installed in the glovebox. It plays through the factory nav screen...it was not a hard install, but you need alot of parts, and specifially a part from video-nav.com which provides the necessary interface and does the switching and audio modulation for you...it works great, and is not too costly, and the company was great to work with...I can provide more details, if needed...
Old 05-19-2003, 03:07 PM
rouxeny

I gotta say, having a DVD player in the Z is great. I don't watch much when I drive, though I have at times kept the nav door closed an just listened to the dialogue.

The best use is when you have to wait somewhere. I was a little bit early to Matrix Reloaded as I expected a line. There was none, so I had about 45 minutes to burn. I spent it watching some of Matrix I in the car.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:56 PM
atlantaben

Hi onecoolee, can you provide more info on your ps2 install? How much is the part from nav-tv? Did you buy the part directly from them?

thanks
Old 05-20-2003, 08:06 AM
MySunset350Z

does the 350z have the same nav setup as the g35?
one of the companies i emailed about the dvd nav was asking me.

i dont have a g35 so i wouldnt know....does anyone have an idea?
Old 05-23-2003, 12:21 AM
InternetABYSS

Originally posted by JZC
Internet Abyss did it.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=Navtv

Badabing.
yeah i had nav-tv.com make a a box not a chip to make the monitor into a Normal monitor with rca's so you can plug anything into it and toggle via a switch for nav.....its really simple...i finally pulled the bose headunit out and went with a kenwood in dash dvd player...sounds great looks great...and watching movies in my car is very safe....i do it all the time....actually it keeps me from gunning down slower drivers and killing soccor moms in traffic. hee hee
Old 05-23-2003, 06:21 AM
MySunset350Z

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
yeah i had nav-tv.com make a a box not a chip to make the monitor into a Normal monitor with rca's so you can plug anything into it and toggle via a switch for nav.....
did u have to buy a seperate dvd player? or where you able to use the stock dvd player?

i dont plan on changing the stock stereo anytime soon. but i do want this upgarde done.
how much did it run you if you dont mind.