Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Engine noise coming through speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
doskiez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise coming through speakers

I have had my components installed for a little while and I am getting engine noise interference into the speakers. It is a whine that gets higher frequency as I rev the engine. It is most apparent when in bluetooth mode and not talking to anyone on the phone. The head unit has been extensively grounded and the RCA cables are not near the power supply wire are there any suggestions you guys have for getting rid of it?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:22 PM
bsomthin

feedback frequency
Old 09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Derek Dee

price?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 PM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by Derek Dee
price?
lol

it is most definitly your ground, im postive of it. are these off the head unit or an amplifier?

check ALL of your grounds, make sure they are making contact to bare metal, sand any paint off of the area around the ground connection, and make sure you have a tight snug connection in the ground. if the problem persists, you may have to invest in a ground loop isolater.

also, this is the fs section
Old 09-22-2007, 09:17 AM
doskiez

OOOP I didnt know it was the for sale it just said audio video I would be happy to move it but yeah my head unit is grounded in four different places and the speakers are run off an amp. Tell me more about the ground loop isolater
Old 09-22-2007, 10:29 AM
mrspradlin

look at your amp ground.
also is your power and RCA wires running next to each other.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:32 AM
icedoutis
Banned

get better RCA's?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by doskiez
OOOP I didnt know it was the for sale it just said audio video I would be happy to move it but yeah my head unit is grounded in four different places and the speakers are run off an amp. Tell me more about the ground loop isolater
im thinking this could be your problem... more grounds does not mean better grounds... find one single good ground, with as little resistance as possible, remember that in a DC circuit, power comes from the ground, so grounding your equipment is more important than most people think.

why did you not use the factory ground wire? that would have been a known good ground. and like stated above, check the ground on your amp. if the noise isnt coming from the HU ground, then that is the next most likely source.

if all else fails, and it does happen in some cases that you cant get rid of a ground loop issue, a ground loop isolator is a device that can remove or minimize the ground looping issue that you are experiencing.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had engine noise I used an inline noise filter to fix it.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM
doskiez

Thanks for the help guys I will check everything out that you said.... It could quite possibly be the amplifier ground
Old 09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
chefsz

this was happening to me w/ my system about 10yrs ago in my gran prix, did everything possible including taking stereo out of car and hooking it all up, still engine noise, after filters and everything, long story short it was the hu messing it up the whole time, new hu worked perfectly
Old 09-22-2007, 04:41 PM
jaspendlove

what HU? Pioneers have issues with this.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
doskiez

hmmm i have a premier p980bt could it be the HU I had the hu with the stock speakers before i had the components and never had any issues with this type of noise. Could it be because I now have better quality speakers it is becoming more apparent?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 AM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by jaspendlove
what HU? Pioneers have issues with this.
sorry, but wrong...

it is not specific to any brand or piece of equipment. it is entirely install and situation specific. believe me, if a company like pioneer had issues with internal grounds in their equipment being bad, they are not the type of company who would ignore a problem like this.

and doeskies, it would have nothing to do with the speakers. you would be experiencing this problem regaurdless of how good or bad the speakers are . it is an inductance issue because of bad grounding. with the ground being bad(probably too much resistance in the line), and remember again that power comes from ground in this case, it is not getting sufficient power, and is getting an interference inducted into the system. this interference is reproduced throughout the system, and comes out in the end through the signal being sent to your speakers.

did you get around to checking your amplifier ground? or fixing your HU ground?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:43 AM
jaspendlove

Originally Posted by hoss4131
sorry, but wrong...

it is not specific to any brand or piece of equipment. it is entirely install and situation specific. believe me, if a company like pioneer had issues with internal grounds in their equipment being bad, they are not the type of company who would ignore a problem like this.

and doeskies, it would have nothing to do with the speakers. you would be experiencing this problem regaurdless of how good or bad the speakers are . it is an inductance issue because of bad grounding. with the ground being bad(probably too much resistance in the line), and remember again that power comes from ground in this case, it is not getting sufficient power, and is getting an interference inducted into the system. this interference is reproduced throughout the system, and comes out in the end through the signal being sent to your speakers.

did you get around to checking your amplifier ground? or fixing your HU ground?
Everybody is right on the grounding issue. I had the same problem in my car. I had audiobahn set up. No issues. Switched everything to polk momos with the pioneer 6800 deck. Issues started. I didn't change any of the wiring. Tried everything-regrounding it, checking the way the wire was run, ground loop isolator, etc. Didn't fix it. Took out the deck and had it looked at and it was the deck. Something inside dealing with grounding. The place that repaired it said that they get alot of pioneers that have this problem. After I got it fixed, no issues. I sold that deck and got the pioneer avic-z1. Same problem. So yes the deck does have an issue. You cant say a company will go and fix it if they dont have to. Look at the car industry. They dont do recall until thousands of people have issues. Look at the pinto. The bridgestone/ford tire problem. They had to go to court. A company will accept a certain amount of death and expect to get sued and pay out, but it cheaper than recalling everything they made.

Also if stock speaker didn't pick it up and the new one did, that would tell me that the new ones are better and more sensitive to sound. If that not the case, then there would be no way in hell that people would buy better speakers.

Not everything comes out one hundred percent from a company.

I am not saying to not do what other have suggested, by all means they are right. I would check the deck out also.

Last edited by jaspendlove; 09-23-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 AM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by jaspendlove
Also if stock speaker didn't pick it up and the new one did, that would tell me that the new ones are better and more sensitive to sound. If that not the case, then there would be no way in hell that people would buy better speakers.

Not everything comes out one hundred percent from a company.

I am not saying to not do what other have suggested, by all means they are right. I would check the deck out also.
agreed except the part about the speakers...

that would tell me that there was an install issue, not an issue with the speakers... speakers are (for lack of a better term) very dumb, they get a signal, they turn that electrical signal into an audible signal. if there is interference in the line, it is going to produce that audibly no matter how good or bad the speaker is. if you installed speakers and picked up a ground loop, it sounds to me like a poor connection was made somewhere that allowed the interference to be picked up.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:06 AM
jaspendlove

Originally Posted by hoss4131
agreed except the part about the speakers...

that would tell me that there was an install issue, not an issue with the speakers... speakers are (for lack of a better term) very dumb, they get a signal, they turn that electrical signal into an audible signal. if there is interference in the line, it is going to produce that audibly no matter how good or bad the speaker is. if you installed speakers and picked up a ground loop, it sounds to me like a poor connection was made somewhere that allowed the interference to be picked up.
True. I dont think it has anything with the speakers also. And alot does come from the install. I thought the same thing. I checked everything.

Keep us posted on what happens. It would be interesting to see what fixed it.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 AM
doskiez

will do I just have to get the time to pull out my amps and deck to check them out.... Ill try and get to it this coming week, but I also have an exhaust to install too lol
Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 PM
hoss4131

install the exaust first, and any passengers that claim they hear something through the speakers, just tell them they are crazy and its your exaust
Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
doskiez

HAhAHAHA I alredy have a nismo so that wont work too well
P.S. Im getting the jic majic spartan type 1