Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

7in LCD

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 7in LCD

Can anyone recommand a good 7in lcd for my cubby hole. I plan on setting up the lcd in the cubby and mount the dvd player behind my seat. Just want to see what people are using for their screens. My dvd player is an alpine. What mods. did you have to do to mount the screen in the cubby. Thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 08:13 AM
cbr900son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to hate when people just say to search but really there are aton of threads that cover this including how to guides.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 AM
mw9

Yeah your right, just seeing what lcd people have been using.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I understand your question, and it is more complicated than some might think. Of course a search will provide many examples and much information, but you won’t get a nicely organized answer. I would like to take a shot at presenting this in a single thread (that would be the thread you started here). Hopefully this will attract additional comments and more advice.

Physical Layout (LCD Monitors in the Upper/Forward Cubby)
The upper/forward cubby in the Z is just a great position for a 7” LCD screen. It’s a fairly simple installation that positions a screen for optimal viewing. Albeit the 2003 Z and its detachable rear/cubby-pocket is the most simple install, and it’s become progressively more (but only slightly) difficult with each progressive year/model of the Z. That is only because the later model Z’s have a one-piece cubby pocket that requires cutting to fit the 7” monitor. You always fit the LCD to the back of the cubby pocket.

Here are some considerations when fitting a 7” LCD display in the upper/forward cubby:

1) It’s easier to fit a monitor that is thin (depth wise, front to back), has a fairly uniform case (perimeter width from, and around, the screen), and fits flush (i.e., the screen itself is fairly flush to the case). LCD’s having trim-cases with protruding flanges (front or side) require more custom fabrication making fitment more difficult.

2) If the LCD screen has physical buttons along its side or bottom, and these buttons are essential for operation (i.e., you cannot control all functions of the LCD with only a remote control), your installation becomes much more complicated since you need to provide user access to the essential physical control buttons. I wouldn’t use an LCD with essential physical buttons on the LCD’s side casement since that requires either a lot of custom fabrication or relocating the physical buttons. If the physical buttons are along the bottom of the LCD case, your solution is easier since you can rig a removable bottom-finisher allowing user access. The most simple installation is a monitor that can be controlled completely using its remote control.

LCD Screens (Different Types)
Your choices for a 7” LCD monitor are either NTSC/PAL or RGB (VGA/WVGA standard).

1) NTSC/PAL is an analog standard, and you connect the LCD screen to your device (i.e., DVD player in your case) using composite video or S-video. This connection won’t provide HD, but that’s not an issue since your DVD player will not send HD to the screen. In fact a 7” screen is so small that true HD video will not look better than the 480p to 500+p signal your DVD sends to the screen.

Example of NTSC/PAL: FarenheitT-7000MHR

2) RGB monitors using the VGA/WVGA standard provide better static images (such as what you want with a CarPC) or incremental-static images (such as what you see with a GPS map display).

Example of WVGA: Alpine TME-M740BT

Additional Notes:

If your goal is viewing DVD’s, a NTSC/PAL 7” monitor is a good solution. The image is plenty sharp, and the cost is very reasonable. In fact this type of screen works well with the Garmin GVN 52 (or the 53 series) black-box GPS. Note that the Garmin GVN 53 supports both NTSC and RGB. An example of a good NTSC composite video screen is the Power Acoustik PT-700MHR 7” LCD monitor (and this is the same unit as the Farenheit T-7000MHR and NESA Vision NSM-7005... Different names, but the same LCD).

You should go with a RGB monitor if you plan using a CarPC or want the very best image you can get from an incremental-static device (the Garmin GVN 53 is an example).

--Spike
Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 AM
mw9

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.