Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sneak Peak Kenwood Dnx-5120 (wicked Cas)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
nanomx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got one last month but i have issues

hey , i got one in bestbuy last month but i am an audio newbie
so i got a guy to do the install and it sounds great
but i have a couple of issues with it

i can't get the background picture to show it said in the manual
that you can't load the picture from a usb but its the only way
i can get into the background setting screen but when i click on
load the unit restarts
i have tried to load it from a cdr with pictures on it but doesnt
work either , on the other hand the ipod interface its really fast
but has glitches too , it works great with my iphone but
with my wife's iphone just plays the tune that she was listen too
and doesnt show any more songs on the HU , and one time
i plug in my iphone and the phone got stuck and had to reset the
whole phone to get it to work again , after that every thing its working
fine.

and the usb interface not sure i put a USB hub so i cant have both the
ipod interface and a usb memory and it seems to work fine with the
smaller memorys i try a 2gb , but then i connected a 250 gb usb hdd
and it keeps saying its reading i waited for 20 minutes
and nothing

apart from that its a great HU not enough for me , so i will be doing
a carpc stereo with a mac mini

if anyone was manage to put a background picture let me know how
tnx.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
AdamCKach

Edit: I edited this to reflect my further trouble-shooting.

Just to echo--

Great unit and love the Garmin navigation. But, I don't think the firmware was quite ready for primetime, yet. I'd call it a 85% there unit pending updated firmware.

Issues:

Burnt a DVD with about 2GB of WMA audio (192 kbps). It loads the DVD, but if you try to change songs using the >>, it starts an endless loop of power down, restart, power down, etc., and only stops when you remove the DVD. In addition, it simply does not like some store-bought CDs (e.g., it takes about 20 seconds to load one of my Pearl Jam live CDs). What is weird, though, is that it's selective. I can load some DVD in no time (e.g., U2 Live at Slane), and other CDs in the same.

The unit doesn't always want to let you use the SUB preouts. I had to hit the reset button multiple times before it was not greyed out.

I want to echo the background picture issue. At first, it greyed out the ability to load. When I loaded, it took forever to read to the memory. It's on there now, but it was a fight. Then, the unit did not want to "eject" the USB drive when I hit the eject button.

EDIT: The unit ejected the key with mp3's encoded at 320 kbps without any problem

With respect to the USB key, it also does not want to read the music off of my USB 2.0 drive (though it was in WM 192kbps format). I am in the process of burning to a DVD MP3s at 320kbps to see if the format is causing the problem.

EDIT: This solved the problem. I'm wondering if the unit simply does not like Window's Media audio files > 128 kbps.

All this being said, I have been in contact with Kenwood concerning the issues. I'm supposed to receive a call from a manager, for whatever it's worth. Hopefully these issues will be the first step in their release of an updated, bullet-proof firmware.

As an aside, Wicked CAS is absolutely one of the best audio outfitters out there. My interactions with Nazar were nothing but utter helpful. If you want Kenwood, you definitely should go through him.

Last edited by AdamCKach; 03-13-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
krusen

Default Unable to read jpegs

I'm also having issues getting my 5120 to read .jpg images from any source; USB or DVD. I've never been able to get the background change button to enable (it's always dim). I've created drives/disks with only jpg files, and have tried it with a variety of folder structures. I've also made sure that I was on Tuner (not USB) when trying to change the background. .mp3 files read fine from both sources. If anyone hears from Kenwood please post back. Other than this issue everything else seems to be working as expected.

I've submitted a review of the unit on pricegrabber (don't know if it's up yet) if anyone is interested in my take on the unit.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 AM
ZSpectrum

try pulling the ebrake while stopped for the background and stuff like that, my buddies pioneer wouldnt let you change the background without the ebrake pulled, worth a try.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
AdamCKach

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
try pulling the ebrake while stopped for the background and stuff like that, my buddies pioneer wouldnt let you change the background without the ebrake pulled, worth a try.
I did the "alternative" install for the e-brake ground.

Overall, though, I'm really, really liking this unit. I know this is not in a 350z, but just to share. Again, thanks to Nazar and this forum. You guys gave me the best information when it seemed no one else had any.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
sintaxeror

Is anyone able to play music off of a USB thumb drive? I put some mp3's on one, and it doesn't detect the presence of anything playable..
Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
krusen

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
Is anyone able to play music off of a USB thumb drive? I put some mp3's on one, and it doesn't detect the presence of anything playable..
Mine is working fine with .mp3's using a single slot Compact Flash card reader. I did try another older card reader with an old memory card that would not work; but this was one that when I hooked it into Windows Vista it could not find a driver. So you might want to try another flash drive and make sure that it does not have any sort of file encryption software on it.

Does yours work reading .mp3's off of the DVD? I was pleased to find that it only took less than a minute to index and load a full 4 gig DVD full of .mp3 files.

As for trying the ebrake to load the background .jpg files, I also have my parking brake wire grounded so this suggestion will not help me.

Anyone having luck playing .mpg video off of a USB drive?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
krusen

Just got an email from Kenwood support with a test firmware upgrade for the background update issue. It did not appear to change the units behavior, but it's obvious that they are trying so keep your fingers crossed.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM
AdamCKach

Originally Posted by krusen
Does yours work reading .mp3's off of the DVD? I was pleased to find that it only took less than a minute to index and load a full 4 gig DVD full of .mp3 files.
Mine loads in about the same time, with roughly 3.9GB of mp3s recorded at 192k on a DVD. The power down-restart issue still lingers, though (once every few days). Now and then, when using >> or <<, it will do it. I have to eject, let it load, and then reload the DVD. There really seems to no rhyme or reason to why it does it. I'm still waiting for Kenwood to get back to me on it.

EDIT: Spoke with Kenwood tonight. Their recommendation for the wmv problem is to encode at a lower level. With respect to MP3s at 192, and the looping restarts, I was told that the likely source is that the machine runs out of memory from not pulling out the DVD and reinserting every few days, and that doing so should prevent the occasional looping restarts there. While I appreciate the solution (it was what I was doing anyway), I sort of feel that the OS should be designed either to clear the memory on power down or something similar. I suppose I still stand by my comment that it's an 85% there unit.

EDIT2: The unit started the restart loop today while playing a 192k mp3 (no song change). The song is clearly within the parameters of the decoding software and it occurred, as I noted, without me doing anything to it. Called Kenwood again and hoping for the best--or at least that it's a defective unit. I'm getting a little frustrated.

Last edited by AdamCKach; 03-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:05 PM
sintaxeror

I got a USB drive working, but if I turn off the car and leave the USB drive attached, and then come back and turn the car back on, I have to unplug and replug the USB drive. That is annoying.. and kind of kills my idea to just leave a USB hard drive connected.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
jiggalam

this is gonna be a stretch but i figured id ask anyuways. can you get the maps cheaper too, or do i still have to go through garmin? i already have a dnx7100 but need to upgrade them.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
krusen

Default New firmware release is posted at Kenwood

Hi all, I just noticed that they released a 1.4.0 firmware version on the kenwood support website.

Here's the list of items that they have updated.

Improved functions

(2008.04.11)
• Bluetooth Hands Free Unit Control function
• Scan and Random playback function of USB device
• Scrolls the list and makes a selection by front panel ****
• Slide show(JPEG) function
• MPEG1 and MPEG2 file playback function of USB device
• DivX ID display
• HD Radio Unit (KTC-HR200) Control function (Only for USA)
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
davidz33

any updates from the owners?
Did the firmware update fix the bugs?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 PM
nanomx

i installed the update last week , the installation is so easy just burn a file
to the cd pop it the cd and it starts automaticly but the only
thing that i notice different is that now i can load a background
image , but the image looks really crapy i dont know what size and width
and color depth is the best but i am trying with some
will let you know if i find the right one
Old 05-11-2008, 04:21 PM
SlideWays314

good stuff. worked like a charm
Old 11-16-2008, 01:14 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

anyone else using this head unit? Pics?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Fairly Z

I've got the 5120 and one thing that I notice about it is that it doesn't give me the option to play movies off of my iPod. With the 7 and 8 series from Kenwood, it gives you an option in the iPod menu that says "Movies." Is there an update I need to download or is that option soverign to the higher end units?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
I've got the 5120 and one thing that I notice about it is that it doesn't give me the option to play movies off of my iPod. With the 7 and 8 series from Kenwood, it gives you an option in the iPod menu that says "Movies." Is there an update I need to download or is that option soverign to the higher end units?
Kenwood USA's support site and 2008 firmware:
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2008/eng.html

I currently have my sights set for the DDX812 for its audio tweaking capabilities.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
5120 will definitely play i-pod video. Check the compatibility of your i-pod.