Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

SQ Headunit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SQ Headunit Recommendations

Hey guys - I am "thinking" of changing out my DDX7015 for something more SQ oriented. At the time I built my system, I already had my headunit in the car, and did the rest of the system around it. But, like anything else, I have grown a bit bored and am considering upgrading to something that may better compliment the rest of the setup.

My system is simple

Focul Utopias for front stage - tweets in custom kicks
McIntosh MC431 amp powering front speakers and sub
SEAS Lotus 10 inch sub
Tsunami 5 farad cap

I could care less if the new HU has a DVD player (nice, but I don't need it, I never use the one I have), I don't care if the HU has navigation (I wouldn't use it if I had it). I don't care if it has an IPOD connector - I don't own one, nor will I. What I do want is that it be Sirius ready. I want to be able to connect my current Sirius tuner box and be done! What I do want is that it's clean, easy to use. I listen to a wide range of music, from jazz to industrial, so the ability for the DA converter to keep pace with such a broad spectrum is important to me. As you guys probably know about me...I like stuff that is a bit rare, a bit exclusive. While I wouldn't say this is an "essential", it would be nice

I know everyone has their own favorites, but you guys know alot more about this stuff than I do

Thanks!

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-17-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

sounds like Kwame's setup minus the Focals
Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

he's got alot more power than mine, and went way crazier with the dual subs, etc, but yes, similar equipment...I taught him well - he just takes the ball and runs it further down the field lol
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
he's got alot more power than mine, and went way crazier with the dual subs, etc, but yes, similar equipment...I taught him well - he just takes the ball and runs it further down the field lol
So true, hence why my Z is still down for the count.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/327975-sq-headunit.html
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

thanks Doug! reading it now
Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As copied from the other thread:
In no particular order:

Eclipse CD5100
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...se+CD5100.html

Eclipse CD7100
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...se+CD7100.html

Nakamichi CD5000
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4674

Nakamichi CD700II
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2913

Clarion DRZ9255
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294764151.html
http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/pr...9255&l=Froogle

McIntosh MX406
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3752

Any Denon units if you can find them, like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Denon-DCT-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

And I forgot to mention in that other thread,
Alpine Status F#1 DVI-9990
http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/prod.../dvi-9990.html
Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with my Eclipse AVN-5495.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blasian
I'm very happy with my Eclipse AVN-5495.

nice unit, but way too many gadgets that I have no use for

If only the NAK/Denon had the Sirius readi-ness I'd be all over one of them!

the Clairon unit looks really really nice...it's only downside, no Sirius compatability. I know I could still get Sirius hooked up, but I dont want a separate display screen for it.. Th Eclipse's on paper seem great (Single DIN), but reading about them, the preamp outputs aren't all they are cracked up to be (unless I am understanding it wrong), as it requires huge volumes to get over 5 volts.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-18-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 AM
blasian

Understood. Bing posted a Nakamichi player that was very looking. Looks like it would match perfect with the interior. If I were looking for a single DIN unit, I would have probably gotten that one.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Kwame

I think any manufacturer who makes true SQ based head units have no regard for satellite radio as the sound quality that comes from satellite radio is atrocious. But hey if you've gotta have your regular dosage of Howard Stern you've gotta have your Stern.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yep and I know your right too But I cant imagine that 14 hour drive to Z Days without being able to listen to Stern at least part of the way lolol - hell I guess I'd settle for a high end unit with an Aux input on the main faceplate and I can transfer the tuner from my other car into the Z for long drives
Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Kwame

I think we should get the head unit you want and then throw a satellite radio tuner/faceplate/screen whatever up in here...

Or maybe make it so its not always visible and something you can flip up into the sunglasses holder. You should have never asked for my opinion...

By the way AFAIK the tuner you have will only work with a Kenwood deck so you will be needing to get a new sirius tuner.

Last edited by Kwame; 01-18-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:54 AM
StreetOC192

If only the NAK/Denon had the Sirius readi-ness I'd be all over one of them!

the Clairon unit looks really really nice...it's only downside, no Sirius compatability. I know I could still get Sirius hooked up, but I dont want a separate display screen for it.. Th Eclipse's on paper seem great (Single DIN), but reading about them, the preamp outputs aren't all they are cracked up to be (unless I am understanding it wrong), as it requires huge volumes to get over 5 volts.
Preamp voltages are semi-relative on any unit. Any headunit will not be putting out full rated voltage unless the volume **** is at max and you are playing a perfect source. Higher voltages do not translate to higher quality, they just make it easier to lower the noise floor.

Eclipse claim of 8volts I feel is a bit inflated and is not necessarily indicative of the performance one will see in the real world. And this is coming from a big Eclipse fan (ME). Keep in mind though that Eclipse also uses a 55ohm preamp output whereas most other manufacturers have a higher ohm rating on their preamps.....this means (as quoted from www.bcae1.com):

"Output Impedance:
Some head units (or other devices that have an audio output signal) rate the output impedance of their pre-amp lines. These specs will tell you how robust the output signal is. Since all decks have more than a zero output impedance (50-500 ohms) and all other devices have something less than an infinite input impedance (10,000-100,000 ohms), the input circuit will affect the signal from the previous piece of audio equipment. A lower output impedance (50 ohms) will be affected less than one with a higher output impedance (500 ohms). The most common (and least degrading) effect on the signal is the slight reduction in the signal level. This slight reduction is generally never noticed and is completely normal. A bigger problem appears when some piece of equipment does not have a purely resistive input circuit. This is generally from a ultrasonic filter on the input. These will cause the high frequency part of the signal to be attenuated more than the rest of the signal. Equipment with higher output impedances will have more high frequency roll off than those with a lower output impedance."

Here is some good reading on preamp output voltages:
http://www.bcae1.com/preoutv.htm
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I hear ya...my reading on the Eclipses though was that the volume **** itself was really oddly segmented, and it didn't get over 4 volts till you were just about full blast volume wise...I think some of the other units, like the Clarion, were more forgiving in this regard

Kwame - as nice as that looks, that is SO not me...way too showy and the glare at night must be nuts. I'd sooner toss the sirius tuner in the nav cubby, since I am nav-less anyway Or flsuhe mounted into the center console, like in place of the coin tray
Old 01-18-2008, 06:01 AM
blasian

I hear ya...my reading on the Eclipses though was that the volume **** itself was really oddly segmented, and it didn't get over 4 volts till you were just about full blast volume wise...I think some of the other units, like the Clarion, were more forgiving in this regard

Kwame - as nice as that looks, that is SO not me...way too showy and the glare at night must be nuts. I'd sooner toss the sirius tuner in the nav cubby, since I am nav-less anyway Or flsuhe mounted into the center console, like in place of the coin tray
+1

Me going from 30-40 is hardly any difference whatsoever. Going from 50-60 is a huge difference. Max volume is 80.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 AM
StreetOC192

Understood. You are also comparing a $500 (Eclipse) unit to a $1200 (Clarion) unit.

Keep in mind also that you still have to this day, award winning SQ systems build around headunits rated at 0.2 volt preamp outputs. And if you are going to be running the preamp signal from the headunit to a processor before getting to the amps, then the output voltage of the headunit is almost negligible.

I'm not trying to sell you on Eclipse, Just want you to make the most informed decision.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Kwame

I agree, that isn't your style, but I figured I'd throw it out there. The options really are endless. Satellite radio shouldn't be a deciding factor in your headunit decision, just make sure the deck has at least one auxiliary input. You could throw the sirius receiver in you armrest or have it fabbed to go in the coin holder or even the seat heater switch location.

In reality do you even need to see you sirius receiver? You could set it in your glove box and leave it on Stern. Well I take that back, there are two Stern stations aren't there.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Kwame

With that said my vote goes for the Clarion DRZ9255 because of performance, price and looks.

My 2nd choice would be the Eclipse CD8053....
http://www.mobileonesales.com/Produc...uctCode=CD8053

Last edited by Kwame; 01-18-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
With that said my vote goes for the Clarion DRZ9255 because of performance, price and looks.
+1, this unit is amazing!

One more unit to add to the mix is:
Pioneer RS-D7RII
See page 5 of the pdf
http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront...CE_Preview.pdf

Quick Reply: SQ Headunit Recommendations