Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Have you bought a Touring Since May 2003? Does the stereo work well, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 04:50 AM
kgatesman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you bought a Touring Since May 2003? Does the stereo work well, or not?

While everyone seems to complain about the Bose, has anyone bought a Touring model very recently? Is it still so bad, or has Nissan corrected the problems.

I really want leather, but the stereo is a big issue.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:28 AM
toykilla

the non bose stereo sucks *** too, so dont let that be your decidig factor
Old 06-14-2003, 07:43 AM
lavy

Default stereo in touring model

I bought mine on 5-17-2003 stereo is working fine.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Stinger1

bought mine in early may 2003 and it's the worst sounding system i have heard in a new auto in the last 20 years. bose and nissan should be ashamed for advertising this as a premium sound system. muddled is the closest word i can come up with to describe the sound.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:16 PM
Stinger1

Default bought early may

bought mine in early may 2003 and it's the worst sounding system i have heard in a new auto in the last 20 years. bose and nissan should be ashamed for advertising this as a premium sound system. muddled is the closest word i can come up with to describe the sound.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:15 AM
ss350

Default mines great

bought my touring in late may and the sound system sounds great. i dont know what everyone is complaining about.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:23 PM
peruvic

Talking

Hi, a first post for me - I have just taken possession of my Z (june compliance) in Canberra, Australia and I absolutely love the sound system.

I might be coming off a low base - the crap standard stereo in a MY98 WRX - but this Bose system is as good as any I've ever heard...
Old 06-24-2003, 03:11 PM
kgatesman

I recieved my Touring June 23. The stereo is ok.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:58 PM
jonghj

I got mine October. and I change the new bose amp but
the sound still suck... Now I have less bass than before.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Buub

Picked mine up on January 4th, and the stereo is the biggest piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure to listen to.

I mean, the mid-range feels like it's going to pierce my skull if I turn it up too loud. Did anyone listen to this thing AT ALL before they started making cars?!

All for the lack of a mid-range adjustment. I feel that would have seriously increased the sound quality -- being able to turn down the mid-range. But no, they probably saved 1/10th of a penny by making it just treble/bass.

I'm not sure if I should go back for a swap-out or not.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 PM
yooda

Default response from bose website

Well I sent an email on the bose site and this is what they sent back. So everyone go to the bose site, click on contact us and complain!! We will be heard!!!

*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help
us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original
response.******

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your disappointment with the Bose
Music System in your 2003 Nissan 350Z. The current performance level
of this system does not meet our corporate standards and we are
committed to rectifying the situation.

Please encourage your friends who may be experiencing similar problems
to contact us. We will follow-up with you with more information when a
plan has been finalized.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused.

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.

Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division
-----------------------------------------------------
Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800)231-2673
International Tel: (508)766-6699
Fax Number: (508)879-2043
Email: http://www.bose.com/contact_us/

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
Visit our Website: www.bose.com
-----------------------------------------------------

------------------------------
Technical Support Information:
Email Id:1-EYJYL
Email Agent Id:1-I2Z3
Queue Id:1-HMF1

-----Original Message-----

I am the owner of a 2003 Nissan 350Z touring model factory equiped with
a Bose system.

The sound from the system is of poor quality. My biggest complaint is
the bass response. For most types of music I need to turn down the
bass on the system as it rattles and over modulates very easily.

I have owned another car equipped with factory Bose, an Acura Legend
'91. That system was much better than this one that seems to rattle and
rattle.

If there is a fix, I'd appreciate knowing about it. If not, I'd
appreciate you guys making a fix.

Please do something.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Buub

Here is the letter I sent them:

Hello Bose-ites.

I am the proud owner of a brand new (in January) Nissan 350Z. I love everything about this car. Everything except for one small detail: the stereo sounds like is going to pierce my eardrums if I turn it up.

Let me elaborate. I remember "the good ol' days" when Bose first got into the car stereo business in a big way. I remember reading how the Delco-Bose sound system was custom tuned to the interior of the car (Corvette or Cadilac, of course), carefully measured for perfect placement and balance. This special stereo set a new standard for car audio.

I remembered those things as I drove my car for the first time. I remembered what I had been told Bose car stereos had been, and what I expected it to be. However, when I listened to it I was extremely disappointed. Not just disappointed, but puzzled. How can Bose put their name on this stereo? Don’t they care anymore? Did they stop making well-tuned stereos a long time ago? DIDN’T ANYONE TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN TO THIS STEREO BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY STARTED PUTTING IT IN CARS?! I mean, all it would take is an engineer sitting in the car for thirty seconds to realize this thing sounds horrible. It makes me think that Bose is just cranking out parts these days, and how the pieces fit together is of no concern.

One thing in particular puzzles me the most. It seems to me that the greatest failure of this stereo is all for lack of one thing: a midrange adjustment. More than anything else the midrange feels like it is going to pierce my skull if I turn the stereo up more than about 14 on the volume dial while playing a CD. I do not know how much it costs to make electronics like this, but I have to ask myself how much more can it cost to put in a midrange adjustment in addition to the treble and bass. A penny? It can’t be much more since all the settings are electronic, and no additional ***** would need to be added. It left me thinking this: I have this new stereo with a nice sub-woofer that cranks out 240W, AND I CAN’T TURN IT UP! So, what is the point? Why bother building it in the first place?

I thank you for reading this if you made it this far. I do not hate Bose – far from it. I have always respected Bose products and expect great things from Bose. This is why the quality of this stereo is so surprising to me. I am hoping Bose can learn from this, and find a way not to let this happen again. Thanks for listening.

Michael VanLoon
2003 Nissan 350Z Touring 6-speed
Old 06-27-2003, 05:51 AM
Stinger1

Originally posted by Buub
Here is the letter I sent them:

Hello Bose-ites.

I am the proud owner of a brand new (in January) Nissan 350Z. I love everything about this car. Everything except for one small detail: the stereo sounds like is going to pierce my eardrums if I turn it up.

Let me elaborate. I remember "the good ol' days" when Bose first got into the car stereo business in a big way. I remember reading how the Delco-Bose sound system was custom tuned to the interior of the car (Corvette or Cadilac, of course), carefully measured for perfect placement and balance. This special stereo set a new standard for car audio.

I remembered those things as I drove my car for the first time. I remembered what I had been told Bose car stereos had been, and what I expected it to be. However, when I listened to it I was extremely disappointed. Not just disappointed, but puzzled. How can Bose put their name on this stereo? Don’t they care anymore? Did they stop making well-tuned stereos a long time ago? DIDN’T ANYONE TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN TO THIS STEREO BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY STARTED PUTTING IT IN CARS?! I mean, all it would take is an engineer sitting in the car for thirty seconds to realize this thing sounds horrible. It makes me think that Bose is just cranking out parts these days, and how the pieces fit together is of no concern.

One thing in particular puzzles me the most. It seems to me that the greatest failure of this stereo is all for lack of one thing: a midrange adjustment. More than anything else the midrange feels like it is going to pierce my skull if I turn the stereo up more than about 14 on the volume dial while playing a CD. I do not know how much it costs to make electronics like this, but I have to ask myself how much more can it cost to put in a midrange adjustment in addition to the treble and bass. A penny? It can’t be much more since all the settings are electronic, and no additional ***** would need to be added. It left me thinking this: I have this new stereo with a nice sub-woofer that cranks out 240W, AND I CAN’T TURN IT UP! So, what is the point? Why bother building it in the first place?

I thank you for reading this if you made it this far. I do not hate Bose – far from it. I have always respected Bose products and expect great things from Bose. This is why the quality of this stereo is so surprising to me. I am hoping Bose can learn from this, and find a way not to let this happen again. Thanks for listening.

Michael VanLoon
2003 Nissan 350Z Touring 6-speed

You said it all!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:03 AM
bixby

I purchased my touring on 5/18. It has a manufacture date of 03/03. While the Bose system doesn't even come close in comparison to the custom install I have in my 87 300ZX, It doesn't sound that bad. However, I must admit, based on the wattage and setup I expected better.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:05 AM
OC_350Z

First the Bose system is not as bad as people make it out to me. I find that I only have sound propblems when I'm listing to the radio. Some stations sound okay and some sound very muddy. When I play a CD it sounds pretty good, though lacking slightly in the mid range. All and all I would give the system a 7 or 8 out of 10. To me this topic is done. If you don't like the system, change it. Bitching about the Bose on this board is not going to get Nissan to change anything, atleast not on our cars.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:15 AM
yooda

Default This IS the best place to *****

I disagree, I think that this forum is the perfect place to *****. If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't know about the service bulletins (greasy windows), or where to contact bose to complain. Bose has acknowledged that their system in the 350Z is of substandard quality.

Boards like this are great for information dissemination. This board is how I knew I could get below MSRP for my car.

So in effect I would suggest everyone ***** away, spread the word, pass on the low down, etc etc.

Props to my350z.com

Last edited by yooda; 06-27-2003 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:33 PM
FLY BY Z

Default Re: This IS the best place to *****

Originally posted by yooda
If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't know about the service bulletins (greasy windows), or where to contact bose to complain.

Boards like this are great for information dissemination. This board is how I knew I could get below MSRP for my car.
That's extremely scary. This pic is very accurate if this guy is for real.
Attached Thumbnails Have you bought a Touring Since May 2003?  Does the stereo work well, or not?-evolution.jpg  
Old 06-27-2003, 02:38 PM
yooda

Default Scary?

Hey, I thought I turned my web cam off last night!!! Plus I have a lot more hair!!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Buub

Originally posted by bixby
I purchased my touring on 5/18. It has a manufacture date of 03/03. While the Bose system doesn't even come close in comparison to the custom install I have in my 87 300ZX, It doesn't sound that bad. However, I must admit, based on the wattage and setup I expected better.
You obviously did not receive the same system that I did, then. :-)
Old 07-01-2003, 01:03 AM
Cloud Nine

I bought mine 10 days ago and the stereo is fine. I;d heard lots of bad things so was expecting the worst but moving from a Harmon Kardon in my BMW to the 350Z Bose I am not dissapointed - maybe they have done something to fix it?

Quick Reply: Have you bought a Touring Since May 2003? Does the stereo work well, or not?