Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stock GPS/Comp v. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 01:16 AM
InSearchOf9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS/Computer

Considering that I'm planning on turning whatever car it is that I buy into a car capable of nines, I'm wondering whether I should buy the "basic" Z and save money for mods, or upgrade to a touring so that I have gps and many performance features taken care of for me. However, is it possible to upgrade the nav computer to display performance data, or would I be better off staying plain and adding an Alpine system capable of those things later?

Side note: With a chip upgrade, will the Z nav system play dvds?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GPS/Computer

Originally posted by InSearchOf9
Considering that I'm planning on turning whatever car it is that I buy into a car capable of nines, I'm wondering whether I should buy the "basic" Z and save money for mods, or upgrade to a touring so that I have gps and many performance features taken care of for me. However, is it possible to upgrade the nav computer to display performance data, or would I be better off staying plain and adding an Alpine system capable of those things later?

Side note: With a chip upgrade, will the Z nav system play dvds?
It will be almost impossible to have an interior and run 9's. You should get a computer if you plan on wanting to see performance data and etc. The ECU has pretty much nothing to do with the audio/video setup.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:08 AM
InSearchOf9

Default Stock GPS/Comp v. Aftermarket

I'm still trying to invision just exactly how I'm going to go about turning a future Z into a 9 second car (I could be happy with a 10), or if the project would be worth it at all. However, since so many mods would have to be made to the stock platform I'd like some input from all of you. An in car GPS/Comp is a big deal for me, one of those things that I'd really like, and for the high performance aspects, really need. Again though, since there would be many mods made would it be more wise to buy a basic or performance Z, or should I go for the enthusiast/touring dude to the on board elecronics? One major question I have is whether or not the existing nav system doubles as a computer and if so could that computer be upgraded to display engine stats and NOS boost information? If the existing system can be reprogrammed to do these things then I'll spend the extra cash, if not then I'll probably buy the performance Z and add an Alpine system later that is capable of my needs. Finally, if any of you know of just what aftermarket systems would be best I would greatly appreciate as much information as you'd be willing to share.

Thanks to everyone
Old 06-22-2003, 09:38 AM
reen

Default Re: GPS/Computer

Originally posted by InSearchOf9
Considering that I'm planning on turning whatever car it is that I buy into a car capable of nines, I'm wondering whether I should buy the "basic" Z and save money for mods, or upgrade to a touring so that I have gps and many performance features taken care of for me.
There is nothing about the touring that will make it faster in a straight line than the base model. If you're going to get into the nines the factory limited slip that you don't get on the base would have to go anyway.

If you need GPS to find your way to the end of a drag strip you've got bigger problems anyway.

All that being said, no way you get a 350Z into the nines and still be able to drive it on the street.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:54 AM
InSearchOf9

We'll see...

Last edited by InSearchOf9; 06-22-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:15 PM
rouxeny

Like I said, you have to make the decision as to if you want a 9 second car or if you want a daily driver. Those two options will be essentially mutually exclusive.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:21 PM
rouxeny

Dude, no offense, but please try to control yourself. You've posted essentially the same question in at least three new threads.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:41 PM
jesseenglish

Don't know if you think asking it again is going to get you the answer you want or what.

No, the Nav system does nothing but navigate, that's it.

If you want an Alpine system in there you're not going to get 9's out of this car, the car just weighs too damn much. Sure, strip EVERYTHING out of the car put a high boost turbo setup and a 150 shot of NOS, bicycle front tires, narrowed rear end, tubbed fenderwells to fit the fatass slicks, no suspension, then maybe, just maybe, but you're not gonna want to drive that car down to your local Dairy queen.

If that's what your going to do then get the base Z because you'd basically have to replace everything anyways.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:50 PM
InSearchOf9

About posting it twice, that was my misteak, I had another site opened and *thought* I was putting it up on that one. I noticed it only after it was already a new thread, so there's not much I can do about it now.

As for the whole deal with nines, I was just wondering if a group of experienced owners thought it could be done. Now of course I'm not going to strip such a nice car down to the bare essentials, but it was a thought. Realistically I'll shoot for 11 flat, which would still probably be a feat in itself, but those extra two seconds mean that I can afford the extra weight of wearing pants when I want to race it too!
Old 06-22-2003, 12:52 PM
InSearchOf9

Yeah, more important to look cool around town than at a strip.

As for this thread, I'm gonna try to stay off of it and reply on the other one with the same topic (sorry about that, little bit of a web site mixup).

Old 06-22-2003, 01:57 PM
rouxeny

Sorry to intrude once again, but even 11's in this car is going to be some feat. Again, it's doable, but only with significant chassis, body and engine mods. I doubt it would be a daily driver when you're done.

I think we'll see Z's in the solid 12's sometime soon, probably not much lower without big money and time.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:21 PM
InSearchOf9

Thanks for the input again man. I look at it this way, aim high and even though it may not be a totally realistic quest the thought process of just how to get there will open up totally new avenues of thought that whoever is on the journey hasn't even considered. My real goal with a Z is to match or exceed the performance of $100,000+ cars. Now yes, while there is a reason that they cost that much, matching those performance characteristics has been done before.