Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tweeter Placement "Updated 4-16-08"

Well like most people with tweeters in the stock location, it seems to pull you to the side of the car.
So after playing around some today with placement I found my sweet spot.
So far I have one all cut out for a test fit.

These are the JL Audio C5 Tweeter
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter Placement-tw_1.jpg   Tweeter Placement-tw_2.jpg   Tweeter Placement-tw_3.jpg  

Last edited by cdoxp800; 04-16-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

A-Pillar mount? ...Interested in seeing pics of these when you finish the installation.

--Spike
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good deal, though IMO, it would be better to mold it out to either face across from each other, or on axis, firing directly at the window causes some reflection issues...

soneoine else has that set up like that here if i recall, spike?

b
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
cdoxp800

Ok, today I got one installed. I decided to cover it with grill cloth. I just like the look better.

Pic's
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter Placement-tw_4.jpg   Tweeter Placement-tw_5.jpg   Tweeter Placement-tw_6.jpg  

Last edited by cdoxp800; 04-16-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much room is in there? could you fit a depth of 1 1/2 inches in there?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
good deal, though IMO, it would be better to mold it out to either face across from each other, or on axis, firing directly at the window causes some reflection issues...

soneoine else has that set up like that here if i recall, spike?

b

Yeah, I agree. You don't want the front stage bouncing off the windshield. You want them point more towards the center of the car.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by Sean
how much room is in there? could you fit a depth of 1 1/2 inches in there?
It depends where you put them. I would say there is about 1.5 inches Max in one spot.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Rommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would actually be perfect for something like CDT Audio's upstage system, but it wouldn't work for regular tweeters at all. You'd want to keep the tweeters typically 12-18" or less from the midrange, or you're going to have some major issues there.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Ok, today I got one installed. I decided to cover it with grill cloth. I just like the look better.

Pic's
Your installation looks much better than mine, and it provides better sound.

Here is what I did (very similar to yours).

Your installation is better because you went with grille cloth and I did a wire basket. Well crap, I’m at a loss as to why I did a wire basket grille over a tweeter since this is totally dumb.
  • Your speaker cloth allows better transmission of a tweeter’s directional sound, while my stupid decision for a wire basket deflects directional sound from a tweeter.
  • It’s not like you need to protect a tweeter with a wire grille (as I foolishly did) when it’s mounted in the A-Pillar. Even the worst of my drunken pals won’t kick their heels into a forward A-Pillar mount.
  • And, your tweeter installation (using grille cloth) in the A-Pillar is more esthetic than my wire basket.

You did a very nice tweeter installation that looks good and I’m sure provides superior sound.

--Spike
Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by Spike100
Your installation looks much better than mine, and it provides better sound.

Here is what I did (very similar to yours).

Your installation is better because you went with grille cloth and I did a wire basket. Well crap, I’m at a loss as to why I did a wire basket grille over a tweeter since this is totally dumb.
  • Your speaker cloth allows better transmission of a tweeter’s directional sound, while my stupid decision for a wire basket deflects directional sound from a tweeter.
  • It’s not like you need to protect a tweeter with a wire grille (as I foolishly did) when it’s mounted in the A-Pillar. Even the worst of my drunken pals won’t kick their heels into a forward A-Pillar mount.
  • And, your tweeter installation (using grille cloth) in the A-Pillar is more esthetic than my wire basket.

You did a very nice tweeter installation that looks good and I’m sure provides superior sound.

--Spike

Thanks --Spike.. I saw your photo some time back on here. I really liked the look of it. So after driving my-self insane with the factory mounts, I went for it. I tried a number of locations first, but to my ear this sounded best to me. I look at it this way " it' my Z, so I am going to do what sounds best to me " I am more then happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for the kind words --Spike

C
Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by Rommy
That would actually be perfect for something like CDT Audio's upstage system, but it wouldn't work for regular tweeters at all. You'd want to keep the tweeters typically 12-18" or less from the midrange, or you're going to have some major issues there.

this is very much not true. you can gain excelelnt results with loewr mounted mibass and A pillar/dash tweets, even just in a two way system.

b
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Tom s Z

off topic but chad your car still smells like ***...but nice tweeter setup
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Spike100

OK… so after reading cdoxp800’s thread and viewing his good pics, I couldn’t wait until morning and went out to the garage. I removed my “chicken wire” grill cover on my A-Pillar mounted tweeters …and what a difference! It’s huge.

My thanks to cdoxp800 for posting his tweeter mount solution.

Here is the concept:

In this scenario, you mount the tweeters in the A-Pillar, and bounce the tweeter’s direction sound off the windshield towards the driver and passenger seats. In theory, this should work since it provides front staging for your tweeters. If you go this route, you must do it right. I was experiencing some disappointment with this arrangement until reading cdoxp800’s thread. My problem was using the wrong the grille cover (I was using a wire cover). cdoxp800 suggests using a cloth grille, and this is the fix.

Bing’s solution (a molded A-Pillar tweeter mount) is even better and certainly the choice for someone who wants the best sound from an A-Pillar mounted tweeter.

I think the OEM Sail Panel is the least desirable mount for a tweeter in the Z.

--Spike
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
sintaxeror

would either of you (spike or cdox) mind some pics of how you mounted them behind there? Also, how did you cut the hole so cleanly, hole saw? This looks good..
Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah how saw, just like int he first pics...

attachment? i have used hotglue before and it held well, when its mounted from behind like that...done it on a few new scion xbs

b
Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
sosojeffcc

Question for all of you. The stock locations with stock system sounds decent enough to me, from an imaging perspective. Is it that drastic of a change when you put aftermarket components into those locations?

i guess what i'm trying to get at, was if you guys were unhappy with the imaging from the stock system as well before you put the components in.

Last edited by sosojeffcc; 04-16-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
would either of you (spike or cdox) mind some pics of how you mounted them behind there? Also, how did you cut the hole so cleanly, hole saw? This looks good..
My installation is not elegant or complicated. I made a template, taped the spot (so it wouldn’t get torn-up) on the A-Pillar, and used an electrician’s “hole-cutter.” The tweeter was sort of wedged in, and I used glue and the wire grille basket to hold everything in place. My big concern was getting the “billiard” shot angle at the front windshield so that the bounce was correct for front-staging the sound to the driver and passenger seats.

Certainly doxp800 put a lot more effort into this. His installation is clearly better on every level than mine (esthetics and sound). Hopefully he will provide the details on how he did such a nice job. I’m interested as well.

--Spike
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
Question for all of you. The stock locations with stock system sounds decent enough to me, from an imaging perspective. Is it that drastic of a change when you put aftermarket components into those locations?

i guess what i'm trying to get at, was if you guys were unhappy with the imaging from the stock system as well before you put the components in.

its not just imaging and staging, to me, the stock location has a tendency to make things sound more harsh than normal...so when you add togethr the poor imagine, staging issues, and tonality issues...in some people's (including mine), the stock location is one of hte worst you can stick a tweeter in.

but again, we all have different levels of appreciation for car audio sound quality, the importanthing is, if you are happy with it, then its all good

Bing
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by sintaxeror

Well first I started out by making my template. On the pillar itself I found a manufacturing line in the plastic.

Pic - 1

This was where I lined up the bottom of my template.

Pic – 2

I measured about ONE inch from the manufacturing line up. That is the bottom of the Tweeter it’s self.

Next I figured out the hole size for the tweeter to be rear mounted. I ended up with 1 ¼” (32mm) for my JL C5 Tweeter.
Once I knew that cut the hole in my template. I used a 1 1/8” (29mm) hole saw to make the first cut. From there I hand filed the rest. That took some time.
Well once I got the hole filed out to the edge of my template, I checked the fit. Once good, I gave it a good once over, then used some heat to smooth out any ruff spot’s. I just used a Grill lighter. Careful not to overdo it. Just get it warm. Then I ran my fingers around all the edges to smooth it out.

Pic – 3

From here I wrapped the front of the tweeter in Grill cloth and hot glued to the pillar on the back side.

End result.

By the way sintaxeror, I have really been enjoying watching your build. You have put allot of work into it, and it's looking good.

Link just in case others want to take a look.
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/340419-sintaxeror-s-build-log-tons-of-pics-no-56k.html

Last edited by cdoxp800; 04-16-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike100

^^ Excellent photos and step-by-step instructions for installing tweeters (Message #19 on this thread).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 04-17-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Tweeter Placement