Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

GPS Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation GPS Tracking

anybody know much about this? I called a nissan dealer and they don't do this. My buddy got it on his bike and it was like 1k and no monthly fee. things that you can do are:

- you can use a phone or your computer to know the status of your vehicle location
- when the vehicle's being tampered with, it give the signal to your cellphone.
- you can configure to have warning notification via email, as well as phone
- you can set the radius of your vehicles travel. this means that if it goes out of your configured, 3 mile radius, it'll sound the alarm or whatever

*if you have any more info about this system, whether installation, fees or downside of things, please share.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:25 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nothing new, Clifford has had this available for years...

http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=718
Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The GPS location/tracking devices are expensive and require a monthly contract.

They are similar to OnStar with the added feature of an internet connection to the company’s central monitoring facility allowing you to view the car’s position and other information.

If your main concern is theft, you can use systems that do not have a GPS (e.g., Lojack and Teletracer).

--Spike
Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen them in the $200-300 range with a not-too-bad contract. There are plenty of them out there. IIRC the one that I recently saw was hooked up with Google earth - I think I've got the link at work.

Without cell service these things fail. Lo Jack seems to be a good enough service unless you actually plan on hunting the thieves down yourself - that's always so much excitement.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The bottom line: Is the service is worth its cost?

If you own an exotic (that has an established and high value), installing an expensive tracking-device with a contract might be worth the effort and the cost since you can save on your insurance premiums.

If you have an extensively modified Z, the car’s value is worth more to you than to the insurance company. In this case you may want to pay the extra fee realizing that it is an additional cost for your modification-addiction, but you may not (probably cannot) get a significant break on your premium.

As Paul points out: Except for Lojack (which uses a transponder connecting to receivers in police cars), the devices depend upon cellular access. Unless your Z is a show-car (or you have a teenage driver you feel that you must monitor; and that would be at a significant expense), you don’t need anything more than Lojack.

I also agree with Paul when he says: “Lo Jack seems to be a good enough service unless you actually plan on hunting the thieves down yourself - that's always so much excitement.” Cornering a thief, and risking bodily harm to yourself or even the thief, is never wise. When Lojack triggers a police receiver, the patrol car has a pretty good idea where to look, and they don’t need or appreciate any assistance from a civilian.

--Spike