Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amp rack in Bose Sub. location

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 AM
vnarang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KManZ
If you go to Home Depot, you can find all sorts of brackets you can use. I got mine in the lumber/roofing section. They are about 6 inches long, and have a series of holes in them. Make sure you buy screws small enough to fit through the holes though. Also, if you are making an amp rack, make sure you get a pack of wood screws that aren't long enough that they pierce through your MDF board.

Oh, and if you take the Z there to buy the MDF board, ask them to cut it in half before you try and fit it onto the car
Couple of questions:

1) Do you have room behind your subwoofer enclosure?
2) Did you have to purchase another 'rear dash' to get the other glove box? If so, where did you get it from?
3) Any idea if I were to get the enclosure for two subs, that there would be room left behind the enclosure too to place things?
4) How is the fit is the enclosure? I only ask because mine was loose and it falls everywhere. Did you need some 'extra reinforcement'?
5) I'd appreciate it if you could post pics soon, as I am judging my next install from this.

Last edited by vnarang; 09-12-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by vnarang
Couple of questions:

1) Do you have room behind your subwoofer enclosure? - Yes, the enclosure is directly underneath the strut bar only. You have space between the rear speaker ridge and the enclosure

2) Did you have to purchase another 'rear dash' to get the other glove box? If so, where did you get it from? No, I didn't go with another glove box. My rack is just free hanging from the sub mount brackets. I'll try to take some more pics when I get home in a bit

3) Any idea if I were to get the enclosure for two subs, that there would be room left behind the enclosure too to place things? Yes, the same company that makes mine has one for two 10" subs: Zonix Enclosures. They also have ones with amp racks.

4) How is the fit is the enclosure? I only ask because mine was loose and it falls everywhere. Did you need some 'extra reinforcement'? This thing fits VERY snugly, no brackets needed.

5) I'd appreciate it if you could post pics soon, as I am judging my next install from this. Pics will be provided before sundown
Replied.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
vnarang

Replied.
Thanks!

Another thing, do you think you could also take pictures of your amp location, facing it, from the outside? Also, what are you doing about the 'heat'?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 AM
KManZ
Banned

Pics of sub enclosure in the car are attached.

Thanks!

Another thing, do you think you could also take pictures of your amp location, facing it, from the outside? Also, what are you doing about the 'heat'?

Sorry for so many questions.
In this picture, you are looking at the cubby behind the driver seat. If you pop your driver seat forward and look behind it, thats what mine looks like too. Everything looks stock until you pop off the blank cover.

My amp is grounded to a bolt in the floor of the hatch between the sub and rear speaker deck, on the opposite side from the child safety latch, under the carpet. The sub wires also run under the carpet.

Attached Thumbnails Amp rack in Bose Sub. location-amprack-002.jpg   Amp rack in Bose Sub. location-amprack-003.jpg   Amp rack in Bose Sub. location-amprack-004.jpg  
Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM
vnarang

Ahh, I understand. I thought you had some type of cover on there. So it's just open, correct?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
KManZ
Banned

Ahh, I understand. I thought you had some type of cover on there. So it's just open, correct?
Right, the blank panel is just popped off so I could take pics. If you have a non-Bose system, just flip your front seat forward and you will see the cover to the cubby. Just use it again after you put the rack in there.

Here is what it looks like when you are working on the amp rack. You have to take the plastic off around the cubby, and from there the Bose sub bracket (not pictured in this pic).

https://my350z.com/forum/attachments...-opened-up.jpg

As for the heat, the amp is really efficient, so doesn't really generate too much heat. It is better off where it is now rather than in the glovebox, as there was hardly any air moving in there.

Last edited by KManZ; 09-12-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Jes-Z

If you remove the plastic panel you might find a metal subwoofer mount. It's 6 bolts to remove and then you'll have access to the open space.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
vnarang

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
If you remove the plastic panel you might find a metal subwoofer mount. It's 6 bolts to remove and then you'll have access to the open space.
Yeah it's there. How do you get a glass or plastic 'window' in the back panel? Is it custom?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 PM
KManZ
Banned

Yeah it's there. How do you get a glass or plastic 'window' in the back panel? Is it custom?
Yeah, custom work for sure.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
ColoradoClark

Here ya go. No measurements for the bolt points, but those are easy to measure out. I crudely drew them on to the pic for you though. You'll figure it out

And here ya go.
Kman: you ROCK! Sorry I didn't respond sooner: I just started tearing into the vacant driver-side space today, after spending the last couple of weeks buying most of my new sound system (and learning a lot about car audio along the way!).

Your amp shelf specs are going to be priceless -- I should be able to get the shelf done today with the info.

Thanks, again!

Sean
Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my amp rack done today, I'll take pics of it soon. And to take the sub bracket off I believe it's like 14 bolts, and a pretty pita imo, they made dang sure that thing wasn't gonna move.