Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Replacement Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:26 PM
jmwammock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Speaker Question

Hey All, I have a Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav Head Unit and they stock Bose Speakers and Amp and Sub. I would like to replace the speakers, I know the component speakers up front are 6 1/2 and the rears I think are 6 3/4? I dont know a whole lot about audio so I dont want to go into the stereo store and have them say I need this and need that and blah blah when I really dont. Can you guys tell me what I do need? Can I use the stock Bose amp or do I need to get a new one? I would like to replace all speakers with Alpine, will a 10" sub fit where the Bose one does behind the seat? Thanks guys
Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recomend that you forget the idea of using the stock location for a sub, as countless amount of people have complained about sound response from that location. Many people have gone with almost any tunk mounted solution and have absolutely loved the results of using the rear hatch to reflect bass to the front (look around and you'll see). From Zenclosures to Wicked CAS the options are out there. I went with the Zenclosures box and a single 10" and when it's done I'll post a review. As far as the speakers go, don't worry about the rear speakers, upgrade the fronts only. I advise you get door pods or kick panels (check with Nazar and 16psibrick) for best results. Those two options with yield the best results with almost any speaker out there. When you chose amps just go with whatever fits your speakers and I recommend searching around to find good quality amps (I'm pretty sure someone will chime in on good amp and speaker selections).

I have
Kenwood DNX8120
Focal 165KP fronts
Boston GT22 Amp
Stock Rears ran from HU and faded out
Wicked CAS door pods
Zenclosures single 10 under strut - not yet installed
FI Q10 dual 2ohm BP power option - not yet installed
Hifonics TXi 1008D on order - Changed mind from Sundown due to availability
Need to do some sound deadening

Last edited by Chi-TownWarrior; 06-28-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You have a non-Bose H/U driving Bose speakers (Bose components and a Bose SubW).

Is that correct? If so, you must have a PAC device making this arrangement possible.

As to the Bose components… You must replace these to get decent sound. The Bose fronts are 6.5” components with the midrange inside the door and tweeters in “Sail Panel.” Your rear speakers are 6.5” coaxial speakers (and, they are pretty much junk), and your Bose SubW (and its dedicated amp) is junk as well.

If you pull these pieces, you see how cheaply built they are, and will certainly decide to replace these with better stuff.

--Spike
Old 06-28-2008, 06:40 PM
jmwammock

Yes I have a Pioneer AVIC D3 and still running all the stock Bose stuff, I had Car Toys do it as I know someone there so got the the AVIC for cheap so I think they may have had to bypass something to get the Bose to work. I thought the Bose sounded ok at first but now I'm noticing a hissing noise coming from the speakers, it just doesnt sound good at all, so I def need to replace.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 PM
B5I8

If I were you I would start with 6.5" components in the front door, sound deaden the doors (I find that without doing this you get no midbass whatsoever), and an amp to power them. From there if you feel you need more bass, add a sub and another amp.