Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

URGENT HELP- Amp placement!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Big Tav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP- Amp placement!

Hi guys, I need urgent help. I have just got a Alpine V12 Amp installed in my 04 Roadster. I thought he would put it under my seat but he has put in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. I now have NO STORAGE in the car at all (besides those 2 useless little compartments).

He said it will not fit under there because there is wiring under the seats. I do have electric seats too. I did put my hand under there and it does "seem" to small. I was sure I have heard others on here have their amp under the seat.

Is he right or can it fit? I need to know by tomorrow morning to make him move it before I pay.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Big Tav; 07-18-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the bose sound system, you can put it in the cubby behind the drivers seat...I put mine there
Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 AM
Big Tav

I do have the Bose. The Bose amp has been replaced with a new Kenwood one so behind my seat is no good
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 AM
fatalus

I myself tried to install a JL G series amp which is kinda small under the passenger seat but it could not fit. The space is just too low and there are cables which make things even worse. Maybe those who put it there had no electric seats....
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 AM
StreetOC192

So you now have a Kenwood amp as well as a Alpine V12 amp? What are they powering? I hope you aren't running the stock Bose speakers and sub. If you are, that is a waste of good amplification. If you are not, then why can't you remove the Bose sub and mount both amps in there?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Big Tav

I don't have a Kenwood amp. I have a Kenwood Head Unit. I have Focal Splits and a Kenwood Slimline Sub.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 AM
imabug

that's where it should go... who needs spare tyres anyway??

under the seat was my preference at first too but changed my mind after i found out how little space there is under there..

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Big Tav

C'mon guys! I need to tell this guy how to fix it in the morning!

Can I pull out the Bose Amp in the trunk and put it there? Will a Alpine V12 fit there or not? (it is quite big) Will the Alpine get hotter than the Bose and be too hot covered in there?

Should I just leave it where it is behind the passenger seat?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 AM
VoodooJC

I have an amp under each of my seats
Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Big Tav
I don't have a Kenwood amp. I have a Kenwood Head Unit. I have Focal Splits and a Kenwood Slimline Sub.
OOOohhhhh, ok.

What are you wanting to store in the glovebox that you can not fit in there with the amp in there? If all you need is a place for your insurance card/registration card/owners manual/and a few other little things then have your installer build a shelf over the amp where it is now, then you will get your storage back. 4 "L" brackets and a piece of 3/8" plywood and maybe some carpeting if you want to get fancy is all it takes.

I'm not personally familiar with the trunk area of the roadster, so I can't offer my opinion of a good spot in there. Some of the bigger V12 amps are a bit on the bulky side, so fitting under the seat will be based solely on your exact model.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 AM
fatalus

There is no way any amp can fit where the stock bose amp is.....
Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Mikey-Z

I've never tried this... and if people have reasons why this shouldn't be done, please let this guy know before I suggest an idea that will end up breaking his amp & glove box :P

To begin why i'm even suggesting this... I was going to use this idea to mount a PS2 slim in my car. A Slim PS2 and an amp have huge weight differences, so beware.

Basically, if you enforce the passenger box a little bit, maybe with some MDF or metal, then mounting an amp upside down might be possible. Probably not the most secure mounting spot (plastic), but considering it's for the most part, one piece, and you have multiple bolts, this may work.

Diagram below explains this a little bit better. Red 'box' is the amp, the blue strips are the 'reinforcement' you will need to spread the weight evenly along the top of your glove box. Without these supports, you could possibly warp your box, or worse, your amp comes crashing down, tearing a huge hole in your $40 passenger glove box.

You don't even have to do 'strips' for support. For easier install, just use a huge piece of MDF on the other side. Mount the MDF securely to the glove box, then flip it upside down and mount amp to the top of the box. It'll go through the plastic, and mount securely into the MDF on the other side.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Mikey-Z

oh, just to add to my idea.

Make sure whatever you use to support the weight, it goes to the very edge of the box. The 90 degree corners will help support the weight.

EDIT: Here's a better picture. At work so I don't have much besides MS Paint:

Last edited by Mikey-Z; 07-18-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Mikey-Z
then mounting an amp upside down might be possible.
I never have and never will recommend to anyone mounting an amplifier upside down.......especially in an enclosed area. Amplifier heat sinks are designed to dissipate heat while the amp is mounted flat right-side-up, or vertically for some amps. The only safe way to mount upside down would be if you use a liquid cooling system (like the old skool PPI amps from the early 90's). Fans could work, but I wouldn't trust it.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Mikey-Z

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Amplifier heat sinks are designed to dissipate heat while the amp is mounted flat right-side-up, or vertically for some amps.
Yea, overheating can definitely be an issue. And inside the glove box that could be a problem.

But then again, one of my friends installed one of his JL amps upside down in his truck, and while I'm sure his amp ran a little hotter than normal, it never shut off or die on him.

Definitely beware by trying what I just suggested. Like I said, the idea was for a PS2 slim or some other accessory, not a heavy hot amp.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Since the glove box behind the passenger seat is cavernous, couldn’t you just mount the amp on the glove box floor, and place a wire shelf (if you are concerned about cooling) above this?

I would think that would still result in a large compartment for storing your stuff.

And… I may not be understanding your question.

--Spike
Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM
jdmteg2nv

I mounted my amp below the glove box...pulled out the plastick tray at the bottom of glove box and amp fits under there...the tray pokes out a little but its in the rear corner..u can't notice it...and never had a problem with the amp over heating under there...its an Eclipse XA1000 amp...
Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Big Tav

Problem is solved! It is frustrating when you have to suggest the solution to your installer! I ended up looking into it my self and paid extra for a Alpine PDX amp instead of the V12. It fits under the glove box like jdmteg2nv suggested. The V12 wouldn't fit there. Now I have a better amp, totally hidden and my glove box back!

Can't wait to pick it up on Monday!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:39 AM
chinolatte

under the glove box and doesn't overheat? did you mount a fan somewhere?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ I would be concerned about heat as well when mounting under the glove box.

Big Tav is doing this, so hopefully he will give us a report.

--Spike