Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine Head Unit (digital media player)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Snowhiteboiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Head Unit (digital media player)

Do any of you guys have experience with this style of headunit (no CD player) and specifcally the IDA-X001? Read some of the comments on crutchfield but they are all over the place from great to horrible - figured if I trusted anybody, it was you guys.

I am looking to upgrade from the current headunit I have in the car, a pioneer unit with an ipod interface connection (which can make searching and scrolling a little slow).

I saw through searching that a member had a similar headunit (x100, I believe) for sale but don't know if many of you have tried any of this style headunit.

And please, save the trouble of telling me I need a double din navigation unit, I don't, and have no desire to put one in my car.

Thanks in advance.

-s
Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i use an alpine 9886

i really like it
Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Snowhiteboiler

is this one of the digital media players? If not, at least, are the ipod controls fairly intuitive? Also, is alpine sound quality still pretty good?

Thanks for the quck reply.

-s
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
carlili4190

Originally Posted by Snowhiteboiler
Do any of you guys have experience with this style of headunit (no CD player) and specifcally the IDA-X001? Read some of the comments on crutchfield but they are all over the place from great to horrible - figured if I trusted anybody, it was you guys.

I am looking to upgrade from the current headunit I have in the car, a pioneer unit with an ipod interface connection (which can make searching and scrolling a little slow).

I saw through searching that a member had a similar headunit (x100, I believe) for sale but don't know if many of you have tried any of this style headunit.

And please, save the trouble of telling me I need a double din navigation unit, I don't, and have no desire to put one in my car.

Thanks in advance.

-s
The first unit i had was an alpine CDE-9852 and i hated the controls on it especially the ipod controls, but then my girlfriend got my the alpine IDA
x-001 and i absolutely LOVE IT! I really like how you can change the color on the headunit from red to blue whenever you want, the ipod controls are pretty much just like the ipod, also the screen is amazing its so nice and clear its simply the best headunit if you dont like cd's... The IDA-x100 i absolutly hate the look of. i think its the ugliest thing ever and it doesnt have the easy to read screen like the x-001 just my opinion though
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

CD/DVD players are “dead-end" technology. CD’s and their players are only alive because the music industry only understands “vinyl.” You will see these begin disappearing in the near future in favor of an “i-Pod-like” or MP-player structure. Paying $$ for a CD/DVD player is foolish since they are “gone” soon.

--Spike
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
B5I8

Originally Posted by Spike100
CD/DVD players are “dead-end" technology. CD’s and their players are only alive because the music industry only understands “vinyl.” You will see these begin disappearing in the near future in favor of an “i-Pod-like” or MP-player structure. Paying $$ for a CD/DVD player is foolish since they are “gone” soon.

--Spike
Unless they start encoding music with something better than MP3, I seriously doubt CD/DVD will be phased out anytime soon. The quality is just not there in MP3's, if they encoded everything in FLAC then it'd be okay. That's why I'll never buy an MP3 album.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by B5I8
Unless they start encoding music with something better than MP3, I seriously doubt CD/DVD will be phased out anytime soon. The quality is just not there in MP3's, if they encoded everything in FLAC then it'd be okay. That's why I'll never buy an MP3 album.
There is only one reason that music/sound is best on vinyl. Digital on any type of flash-drive or RAM/ROM structure will soon become the preferred and only media. CDs and DVDs will die a natural death, and that won’t be long in coming.

--Spike
Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 AM
carlili4190

i can honestly say i have no idea the last time i bought a cd, except for the digital ones which then i burn to a disc if needed
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Snowhiteboiler

Thanks all for the input!