Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

my system sounds BAD, need HELP~!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 12:53 AM
bugz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my system sounds BAD, need HELP~!!

Hi~guys, I really need your suggestions, so plz plz reply my thread. I just got my system done like 1 month ago. I got two 10" 400W rms audiobahn SUB and a right AMP to support the sub. I got a head unit sony mp-40, and I also replaced the front and rear speakers to pioneer ones (the peak power go 160W,but I am not sure abt the rms power). Here is my questoin, recently I find out that my system does not sound too well. when my system play some songs, I can't hear wut the singers are singing, I mean the singing is not "loud" enough, however the background music or sound are so "Loud" and annoying, which make your ears very uncomfortable. but these certain songs can play nicely on other's stereo. is there something wrong to my system or maybe I just give the subs too much power ?? I went to ask the shop who got my system done, they told me that the problem is I need to get one more AMP to push the front and rear speakers in order to balance the system. I know many ppl got 2 or more amp, but there are many ppl who only has one amp also, why they dont have problem like I do? Oh, I personaly think the problem is caused by my head unit, because I do know my head unit is not good. Anyway, someone PLZ help me solve my problem or maybe any advice, thank you. I do not have too much budget to buy all the nice and fancy equip (I can only spend $600 more), wut should I do to fix my system. If i states something not clear, please let me know, I need ur help, thank u..!!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:07 AM
bugz

Hi~ just try to make it clear. When my system is playing a song, the music is loud and make ur ears hurt(I dont know it's music or bass or something else), however the singing is very not clear ...... it's very hard to explain by words, so I guess I am not being helpful here .... T_T.....
Old 08-14-2003, 04:35 AM
Zaph32

The problem sounds like the speakers don't deliver a flat frequency response - lots of bass and treble, not enough midrange.

First I'd put better front/rear speakers in than Pioneer. These are the most important speakers in the system!

To go cheap look at Infinity Reference. To spend more look at Boston Acoustics.

If it still sucks at that point, add an amp.

My system has Infinity Reference front/rear running off the stock deck, and an Infinity Basslink powered sub. It sounds great for what I paid ($500)
Old 08-14-2003, 10:30 AM
bugz

so u suggest that I replace all my speakers?? is there any other way to improve the sound?? Since i just got my pioneer speakers for a month, does it kind of waste my money? How do I tell it's speaker's problem or not? would you plz give me some more info please, thank u so much.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 AM
nwind21

see if you can adjust your gain and filter on your amp to tune down the subs and allow your front/ rears to come through. if you have a built-in filter EQ's in the Sony like most Alpine's, you can tune your front/rears from there too.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
noahbuddy

I found replacing my rear 2 speakers with a full range instead of a mid range really opened up the sound. The crossover that came with the midranges was clipping the rears at too low of a frequency.

Not sure what you have in the rears, but it might be worth a look.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:45 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turn down your bass? **** load of bass in a small car. you forgot about balance.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:16 PM
bugz

I was thinking abt turn down the bass too. however, then what is the point to get a high power sub and amp??...@.@
I like to hab heavy bass and punch like crazy, so I gave up turing down the bass. Actually, I think the problem is casued by sound quality. I got couple choice here:

1. replace my pioneer speakers to something better ( are you guys sure pioneer speaker is no good??)

2. get a new head unit

3. get an amp for front/rear speakers

would u guys list that which one i should go first and which one i should do later?? if the problem can be solved by setting up something, plz let me know, so I dont need to spend some stupid money. some shop told me to get a Equalizer and Capacitor, every shop i go just told me to get this or that, they never really try to solve the problem for me, all they want is my money. I live in Irvine CA, if someone who live near by me and can help me out, please please let me know.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good question, what is the point of a high powered sub and amp?

ok to have lots of bass.

cant have tons of bass and be balanced unless its just generally very loud, in which case you need to replace the spearkers and a seperate amp to power them.

of course then when its very loud, youll turn it down or youll go deaf, then you dont have enough bass, so you turn up the bass, and cant hear the mids and highs again.

for the record, hard hitting tight bass comes from quality equipment not gobs of wattage. gobs of wattage gets you trunk rattling sloppy lows. youd have been better off with a REAL nice single 12" sub with a good amp, good headunit, and replace all the other speakers, crisp clean powerful sound.

my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:33 PM
bugz

any more suggestions??