Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Xenarc Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:40 AM
ZManInNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenarc Revisited

I have read many threads on the Xenarc and now own one, but am still waiting for Nissan to give me my damn Z back (doing some mods...they've had it more than I have ).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone successfully (or not) tried modifying the dash so that they didn't have to remove the Xenarc case and void the warranty.

Also, did most people power it using the radio wires instead of an inverter? I have an inverter but don't think the power cord will be long enough.

I am sorry to be redundant, but any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:08 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, it would be very hard to modifiy the dash. vertically you don't have the room. You would have to remove the nav door to do so. Plus I believe you would get a slight bevel between the dash and the screen due to the casing.
For inverter, you can get an extension cord. I had it powered by the ACC from the head unit, but decided to power it from the PC power supply instead (so I can use external power when i'm home)
Old 08-20-2003, 10:35 AM
ZManInNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by alphared
no, it would be very hard to modifiy the dash. vertically you don't have the room. You would have to remove the nav door to do so. Plus I believe you would get a slight bevel between the dash and the screen due to the casing.
For inverter, you can get an extension cord. I had it powered by the ACC from the head unit, but decided to power it from the PC power supply instead (so I can use external power when i'm home)
I'm assuming you use an inverter. Do you turn the thing on/off every time you get in/out of the car? Is there some way to wire it into the acc cable so that it only gets power when the ignition is on? I've heard it will drain the battery otherwise. I am planning on running my 4ga wire from the battery to a 4 way fused distribution block which is what will power the inverter and an amp or two.

Any advice?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:42 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope, don't use an inverter, have a voltage regulator and a dc-dc power supply. if you want to know how to use the inverter ask ares, he has an inverter installed.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how you could do it without taking off the Xenarcs casing. Unless you did some major chopping up of the dash.

Mine is powered via the HU's power wires but the video signal is from my computer so it is controlled by my PC's "smart" Opus Power Supply. It goes on and off all by itself with no problems.

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 08-20-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:38 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used an invertor, tho my touchscreen didnt work, and thus it has been at xenarc for.... hmmmm lets see going on 5 months now(prompt service huh?) Im just chillin waiting to get it back(maybe for xmas?)

when I did have it, I did actually install the whole thing before I realized the touchscreen didnt work. and at that time I didnt have a problem making the power cord reach the inverter(which is in the glove box). it worked quite well. I wired a switch in parralel with the invertor switch(so I actually turn the inverter on to start the computer). along with a time delay relay(it turns power off after 5 minutes without ACC power, keeps things safe)

all in all a pretty slick setup, I could control the power manually, or let it do it all by itself. worked like a charm for me.