Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

xenarc touch screen owners, please check in!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:40 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xenarc touch screen owners, please check in!

need to hear from anyone that has succesfully installed and used a xenarc touch screen unit.

you took it out of the case correct? I need to be sure that the touch screen doesnt require its case before I disassemble the second screen and waste a whole lotta money.

accounts or pictures are appreciated, I just want to know that the screen CAN work without the case.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:51 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=xenarc

and video of it at work

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=40026
Old 08-20-2003, 01:30 PM
chromesilverz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it will work. Just make sure all the wires are secure.

I cheated and used very thin strips of masking tape in strategic locations to temperarly mount the T.S. onto the rest of the unit instead of double sided tape because I didn't want the gap between the T.S. and rest of the unit. Plus there was so little room to work with that the D.S. tape was challenging especially having two layers of it. Figured after you strap it down, double side tape it, and do everything else to it...it's not going anywhere and the masking tape would not have to provide any support.

Just take into consideration that there is a mad glare with the T.S. and it is almost impossible to see with direct sunlight.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 PM
ares
Veteran

I have a heavy tint to hopefully help with that. might also upgrade to the 2004 door that puts some overhang over the screen.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:37 PM
chromesilverz

Tint will help....

the door I don't think will help. The problem is with light coming in the back and side windows....
Old 08-20-2003, 04:46 PM
ares
Veteran

ahhh then I have that covered, the windsheild only has a visor strip.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:11 PM
SeanRod

Originally posted by chromesilverz

I cheated and used very thin strips of masking tape in strategic locations to temperarly mount the T.S. onto the rest of the unit instead of double sided tape because I didn't want the gap between the T.S. and rest of the unit. Plus there was so little room to work with that the D.S. tape was challenging especially having two layers of it. Figured after you strap it down, double side tape it, and do everything else to it...it's not going anywhere and the masking tape would not have to provide any support.
In Aphareds picture below you will notice a paper border around the touch screen. I found that removing the border revealed a super strong adhesive. I simply peeled the entire paper border and stuck the T.S. to the outer monitor frame. No problems what-so-ever. I originally tried double sided tape, and couldn't stand the gap, or the fact that when the temp got hot, the screen would tend to shift a little. The cool part is that I noticed the T.S. is so much more responsive without the "double sided tape" gap. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails xenarc touch screen owners, please check in!-p4250022.jpg  

Last edited by SeanRod; 08-20-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by SeanRod
In Aphareds picture below....
Alphared's thumb looks alot like mine!

I installed my xenarc touch prior to some of the other people, and as such didn't get the benefit of some of their installation ideas (such as SeanRod's). My first mistake was thinking that the touch screen was attached to the lcd screen (it must have just been slightly stuck to it when I initially removed the pair from the case). I double-sided what I thought was the complete assembly to my console, marvelled at how easy it was, and then watched as my lcd slid south when I uprighted the center console...lol

SeanRod's touch attachment seems very good.

The only other thing to be careful of is that dang connector. Someone posted an idea to strap a piece of foam onto the back - I like that idea. Without something like that, it was very difficult for me to have that connector maintain connectivity. I still lose one of the color bands on occassion.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:21 PM
shagz

Mine is held in place with industrial strength silicon compound. There is a millemeter thick green strip around the screen which shows after the install, but only at the top. I took a black medium point marker and painted it black, so it blends into the panelling.
I don't have any problems whatsoever.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:26 PM
shagz

I forgot...but this is interesting.......
After the screen/PC was installed, I could barely see the screen on a sunny day. Then on the second day of having it, I ran the Eclipse program, and voila, the screen brightness improved dramatically. Now I can see the screen clearly, even when it's really sunny. Good enuf for WMP and StreetAtlas. I haven't really used the DVD that much, so don't know how that will look, but I think it'll be okay.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:12 AM
etx

Eclipse program?! Whats that?

Just last night I got my xenarc working correctly. This whole time it was a bad usb cable. they just twist the wires togeather and shrink wrap them. So i had to get the pinouts from xenarc tech support and I soldered them back togeather. Its working great!

My 2nd issue was a little bit of light coming out of one side of the screen that was not coverd by the bezel. I put some black silicon rtv around the whole thing and now it looks great.

I have a hard time seeing it in the light, please let us know about this eclipse program! Here are the pinouts for the xenarc touchkit usb controller in case anyone has the same problem I had.

USB / MAIN
Black / Unshield
Green / White
White / Red
Old 08-21-2003, 10:53 AM
chromesilverz

Originally posted by etx
Eclipse program?! Whats that?
It's a program that Alphred wrote that allows you to dim and brighten your screen. Click on the Alphred's homepage in his signature....
Old 08-21-2003, 11:41 AM
etx

hey thanks!

I just ran out to the Z and tried it out. It seems like it changes the contrast of something. I think its easier to see without it. Mabye I am doing something wrong, or mabye it dosent work on all pc's. weird..
Old 08-21-2003, 02:23 PM
alphared

whoa, thats news to me and i wrote the program. he must be running win98, cause brightness don't really work for win2k and up just dim (which was the point )
Old 08-21-2003, 02:29 PM
whatever
Veteran

alphared: I know this has been mention numerous times, but once more won't hurt great work on the program!!

As far as the xenarc. I have tinted windows as well. Generally it is somewhat visible during really sunny days. It should be good enough for winamp and nav. As far as playing movie as such, it probably will get a little annoying cause of the glare to watch it.
Overall the install was pretty easy as everyone else has mention it. I'll have to redouble side tape mine again, didn't take the time to line it up correctly the first time.

Just curious, anyone figure something out for a easy removal of that plastic piece in front of the nav compartment to get to the xenarc buttons? Or is there an easier way to change video source without hitting the buttons?
Old 08-21-2003, 03:08 PM
SquadElite

Alphered, why doesn't your domain [website] work?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:34 PM
shagz

Originally posted by alphared
whoa, thats news to me and i wrote the program. he must be running win98, cause brightness don't really work for win2k and up just dim (which was the point )
I'm running XP Pro.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:23 PM
etx

yeah, i am running XP pro also. What OS'es does it work on?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:42 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Has anybody tried any of the monitor glare film that is available on the touchscreens to see if that might help the problem? You can google and find several different types.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Zion800

I wanna take out my Bose radio and put in a Xenarc touch screen...specifically the 700TSV. I was wondering if anyone has seen that done or if it will fit alright in that space. I already have the stock Navi and I wanna put an in-car-pc below that.

thanks