Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

350z Bose Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
tannerday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Bose Question

So I talked to an audio guy today about getting a new in dash for my car to replace the stock bose face so i can have nav and ipod, ect. He told me that i cant just get a new one and plug it in i have to have something like an adapter he made it sound like so it can hook up to the bose amp and speakers. Can anyone explain further what this is and how to get by it or where to get one of these adapters? By The way whats the best nav, bluetooth, ipod touchscreen for the price right now? Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few different brand of harnesses. I bought the Metra 70-7551, which utilizes the RCA preouts on a new HU. There is another one if you don't have preouts or the Bose amp. 70-7550.

There is also PAC (brand) #AAI-NIS2 which is a little more expensive, but helps control a system noise that might occur. The only time that I hear any extra noise on mine is when I have my iPod paused or between songs. As long as there is sound going through the system, I don't notice any hum. It's not a major hum, just slightly annoying.

The harness requires a little soldering. Not to the existing system, just to itself basically. This allows you to take the system back to stock as simply as unplugging the harness and sticking your old system back in.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tannerday
So I talked to an audio guy today about getting a new in dash for my car to replace the stock bose face so i can have nav and ipod, ect. He told me that i cant just get a new one and plug it in i have to have something like an adapter he made it sound like so it can hook up to the bose amp and speakers. Can anyone explain further what this is and how to get by it or where to get one of these adapters? By The way whats the best nav, bluetooth, ipod touchscreen for the price right now? Thanks guys.
Your “audio guy” is correct. If you just replace the Bose H/U, you will need a PAC adapter since the Bose setup is proprietary and requires an adapter whenever you change even a single component with something that isn’t Bose.

However, doing just this (new H/U with an adapter to support the Bose amps and speakers) will likely not provide much of an improvement in sound, and probably will introduce occasional “pops” and “hisses.”

You don’t want to do this.

If your budget is tight, then stay with the OEM Bose setup, and start saving $$ for a complete replacement (speakers and amps, and a new H/U).

When doing the replacement, you do not need to spend huge, but you will need new front component speakers (don’t bother replacing the rear speakers since you don’t need these with decent fronts), an amp, and you can wait on the SubW. You can use most of the existing wiring.

For more information... Search.

Same reply again... Search.

--Spike
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
tannerday

Perfect :0 Thanks guys. One more question. If i wanted to make it sound better. all i would need is the 2 front 6.5" speakers and an amp? is that correct? Or are there other little parts. Sorry i did a search and found some stuff but those are the questions i still have. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Spike100
Your “audio guy” is correct. If you just replace the Bose H/U, you will need a PAC adapter since the Bose setup is proprietary and requires an adapter whenever you change even a single component with something that isn’t Bose.

However, doing just this (new H/U with an adapter to support the Bose amps and speakers) will likely not provide much of an improvement in sound, and probably will introduce occasional “pops” and “hisses.”

You don’t want to do this.

If your budget is tight, then stay with the OEM Bose setup, and start saving $$ for a complete replacement (speakers and amps, and a new H/U).

When doing the replacement, you do not need to spend huge, but you will need new front component speakers (don’t bother replacing the rear speakers since you don’t need these with decent fronts), an amp, and you can wait on the SubW. You can use most of the existing wiring.

For more information... Search.

Same reply again... Search.

--Spike
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
gyotar

I used the Metra harness to connect my new headunit 6V rca's to the bose amp. The speakers are so quiet I can't hear them at full volume with the windows open. The radio is even more quiet. Is there any way to adjust the gain on the bose amp or make it louder? If not I'll just use an amp I have lying around to run some components. Would the PAC unit even allow for the volume to be increased? Is it that my preouts are just not high enough voltage for the bose amp?

Unrelated, I moved a 10 sub I had in the stock location to a custom box I made under the strut to match the zenclosure design. The sound difference is stupidly huge. Now that my sub pounds like it should I need to get some volume out of the speakers.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 PM
kenbo3399

Originally Posted by tannerday
i think hes ********tin just to make a extra buck. they do make harness' for things like that but they told me i needed the same thing in my navigator and still dont know if they used it or not but as far as i can remember there is a wire you have to either bypass or connect for the amp? i think you gotta connect it, i did it in my altima in 05 that had a bose system, i put a alpine d-301 or whatever it is, it was a flip out tv and pulse touch screen and the only thing was the volume was kinda doubled in a way. like on 5 it would be like 10, it was just a little louder with volume control. you need the harness and all but i cant remember the wire it was. it may be different anyway in a z. and i could be wrong too lol. it was a long time ago
Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gyotar
I used the Metra harness to connect my new headunit 6V rca's to the bose amp. The speakers are so quiet I can't hear them at full volume with the windows open. The radio is even more quiet. Is there any way to adjust the gain on the bose amp or make it louder? If not I'll just use an amp I have lying around to run some components. Would the PAC unit even allow for the volume to be increased? Is it that my preouts are just not high enough voltage for the bose amp?

Unrelated, I moved a 10 sub I had in the stock location to a custom box I made under the strut to match the zenclosure design. The sound difference is stupidly huge. Now that my sub pounds like it should I need to get some volume out of the speakers.
I assume you used the 70-7551? I'm guessing that you didn't hook all of the required wires up. One possibility is that you didn't hook up the wire that powers the amp.
I used the 70-7551 and my system is louder than it was before.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 AM
gyotar

Could someone post which wires go where?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:22 AM
kenbo3399

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I assume you used the 70-7551? I'm guessing that you didn't hook all of the required wires up. One possibility is that you didn't hook up the wire that powers the amp.
I used the 70-7551 and my system is louder than it was before.
yeah thats it lol, thats what i was trying to say in my post lol
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
gyotar

Well I went over all of the wiring today. The amp does not power on at all if the remote wire is not hooked up so it is not that. As for my radio being a lot more quiet than my ipod or mp3 cd's I still didn't solve that problem. The power antenna lead from my h/u to the power antenna didn't increase volume or reception being connected or not so I just connected again. I did ground all three wires to the chassis (both harnesses, and head unit) and this solved the alternator whine as well as some noise in the system. I'm stumped why my radio is so much quieter than mp3s but I guess I'll have to live with it until I pickup some components.

Any other suggestions?