Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

single DIN itx computer case!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 03:13 PM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single DIN itx computer case!

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/50

Standard ITX-spec computer case that fits in a standard DIN slot, and it even takes DC power input. For those of you making in-car PCs, this case could be the ticket.

The only problem I can see is that the power supply only takes 12v input, and in a car your voltage can vary quite a bit. As they mention on the website, you should probably use some sort of power stabilization, or just use an inverter for AC power.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:27 PM
350ed
Professional

Can our DIN slot handle the 10" length?
You can try to buy in the US here:
http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=36221
$137 but not in stock
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...ct_Code=100321
$158 but in stock.
No PCI slots for TV Tuner... maybe USB.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Glasgow Smile
dat title

Something like that would go well in my left over DIN area.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Dershum

This is by far one of the coolest things I've seen yet...but I have TONS of questions regarding something like this.

First, it says that it comes with an external DC power supply (60W), but it doesn't talk about the voltage. I'm very much a newbie when it comes to audio installations, so I'm not sure how you would go about connecting this to the electrical system.

Second, I'm definitely not a newbie to building computers, but this is a lot different than your standard desktop/server box. From what I could find regarding th VIA EPIA M Mainboards, it looks like they come built in with everything but memory and any external drives (CD/DVD/Hard disk). Can someone verify this?

Third, where would I find drives that would fit into this system? Obviously they're going to be smaller...so would they be laptop-style drives? Or is there a special subset of drive types tha I would look for?

Fourth, I've seen a lot of posts here regarding touchscreens that can be isntalled in the cubbyhole, but I wanted to get an idea of how much something like that would cost, and how it would hook up to this kind of system. Is it just a standard monitor with the usual monitor plug, or would I have to use the svideo out? Not quite sure how the connection should work. Also, how does the touchscreen portion of things work?

I'm really interested in this, since it fits so nicely into the dash, and I've been really thinking about the whole in-car PC thing. Any info regarding this case and how one would set up an in-car PC using this setup would be great!
Old 10-08-2003, 07:56 PM
aggie300zx

A very cool product most definetly....not sure if we have the depth to handle something like that in our dash. Plus you have to consider that a monitor cable plugged into the back will at more depth to the setup. This is only the case...you would need to add an VIA itx motherboard, laptop harddrive, low-profile ram, and slim cd or dvd drive. Who wants be the guinea pig!

As for power, yes you have to be concerned about what you feed a DC power supply in the car. Do some searches on this board or check out http://www.mp3car.com for more info...its a good resource.

I can't recall the current prices for the Xenarc VGA touchscreen but its in the $500 ballpark.

I've actually just completed building version 2 of my auto PC...previously I was using one of Casetronic's cases in the main glove box. My new setup has the whole unit built into the passenger mail slot, then I have an external USB2.0 DVD/CD-RW that I will mount either below my Alpine headunit in front dash, in center storage bin or just leave in the glove box for now. I'm just happy to have my glove box back!

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:02 PM
jreiter

I don't have any personal experience with this little case, but I'll try to answer based on both what I've read about this case and my knowledge of computers and cars.

Power Supply:
Your traditional computer case has a power supply mounted inside of it. A traditional power supply actually does a number of things. It first converts AC power into 12v and 5v DC, because all the components in your computer use DC. It then distributes that power everywhere via your standard power connectors.

This DIN itx case, though, does not appear to have a power supply inside of it. It simply takes a 12v input. Thus, they include with the case an external "power supply" which puts out 12v at up to 60 watts. This "power supply" appears to actually be a standard (albeit high-power) AC-DC converter. It just takes standard home 120v AC current and converts it to the 12v DC that the computer needs. Remember that this is normally done all inside a traditional computer power supply.

I imagine that inside the itx case they are converting the 12v line down to 5v for those devices that need 5v... but we don't have to worry about that since they appear to be handling it internally... however they are doing it.

So, that external power supply they give you is probably only needed if you plan to use AC power. Since this case takes 12v DC input, you could theoretically just wire it straight into your car's 12v electrical system, the same as you would an amplifier, head unit, etc. The only problem with this, though, is that a car does *not* put out a nice, stable 12v signal. When the car is running, you're actually getting about 14v. Plus, other things can cause lots of fluctuation. This is why it's probably not a good idea to simply wire the thing up straight to your car. You need to use something to stabilize the supplied power at 12v. That being the case, it's probably just easier to use the supply external power supply along with a standard inverter.

Computer parts:

Yeah, I believe that most ITX motherboards have everything built-in for the sake of saving space. Network, video, sound, etc. You'll just have to add in your own memory (using the low profile stuff so it'll fit), and drives. It uses 2.5" hard drives, which are what laptops use. You can buy these from most good computer stores.

Touch screens:

Not sure on this one. I have very little experience with them. I image a touchscreen lcd display would have both a vga connector (for the display) and some sort of way to talk to the computer. Maybe via USB or something? It's got to be able to send touch information back to the computer software.

Anyway, maybe someone else around here can clarify on the bits that need it.