Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sound Deadening Rattling Noise Reduction - Liner material used?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Deadening Rattling Noise Reduction - Liner material used?

I know this subject is discussed but I hope this is a new question:

I have a 10" subwoofer installed in the OEM location. I've used dynamat around the area and reduced a lot of the rattling noises. However, I'm still getting rattles in rear (trunk area) and some around the door. What other deadening materials are available for use?

Im aware of dynamat and the spray can. Are there liners out there we can use? My old Audi had nice fabric liners underneath all the interrior parts that kept the car extremely quiet. Anything like that we could use for the Z?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM
s31t8n8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres always going to be some rattling unless you dynamat the whole car which is very expensive and adds a lot of weight to the car, especially if you turn the sub up all the way. BTW the oem location is a bad place to put a sub, it needs to be enclosed in a box. Thats one of the reasons why your car is making rattling noises. The guy that use to own my car put a JL in the stock location and it sounds horrible, I just dont feel like spending money for audio right now so its gonna stay there for a while
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
zlibby76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used RAAMmat BXT in about 95% of my car and it's about 1/4 the cost of Dynamat. It's a LOT of time to put in, but if you want rattle free car, it's worth it.

Go to there website, www.raamaudio.com and check it out. Other than that, I'm not sure what else there is that you can do to reduce the rattling.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by solidfish
I know this subject is discussed but I hope this is a new question:

I have a 10" subwoofer installed in the OEM location. I've used dynamat around the area and reduced a lot of the rattling noises. However, I'm still getting rattles in rear (trunk area) and some around the door. What other deadening materials are available for use?

Im aware of dynamat and the spray can. Are there liners out there we can use? My old Audi had nice fabric liners underneath all the interrior parts that kept the car extremely quiet. Anything like that we could use for the Z?

Thanks
I understand. For sure, the Z is one noisy car. Your Audi was quiet for the reason you mention (Porsche uses a similar solution).

The Corvette also has a quiet interior, and that’s accomplished by the car’s fitted panels in strategic positions. The panels are made of a rigid material that sandwiches an interior layer of thin soundproofing that really works and is very light weight. I wish the Z had something like that.

Even the G37 is quiet compared to the Z, and these are very similar cars. But, maybe that tells us something. Z buyers want performance (many track their cars), are not worried much about noise, and do not want extra weight.

The Z is very noisy because it lacks sound-deadening, and adding this requires using aftermarket matting materials that are for the most part quite heavy and thick. You will add 200+ lbs. of weight to the car if you “matt-it-out” properly/completely and spray the wheel wells, and it will still be noisy by some standards.

The stock SubW compartment transmits rattling to the car’s floor, and it’s difficult to deaden this configuration.

--Spike