Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Beamm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Murrman...maybe this is a noob question but how did you make the custom faceplate for the screen? Did you use a double DIN adaptor or what?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:00 AM
ECKZLNT

Originally posted by ZZZealous007
ECKZLNT: Sweet remote V1 install! I didnt even notice it the pic until you mentioned it. I know this is a little off topic but, i just wanted to know where you mounted your radar?
I mounted mine behind the drivers head similar to this:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=33744

I plan on mounting an EDFC next to the remote Display, but will have to wait since I bought a new paintball gun instead

Something more on topic regarding the screen:
Now that you guys have your screen all set up and ready to go. Have you thought about making a custom interface program for the Z so you have easy access to DVD/ NAV/ MP3...or anything else you may have? Any programmers?
Some people have done this, and I think there is at least one for sale, unsure off hand tho. I may work on one in the future, but since I hate progamming, I try to oly have to do it at work
Besides, I only really use the comp for navigation, since my HU plays DVD/MP3s, or to go online in an emergency (is there ever one) since my cell phone doubles as a modem (slow as ****)

Last edited by ECKZLNT; 12-12-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:15 PM
murrman100

I'm a programmer.
I wrote a quick and dirty interface in visual basic, that uses shortcuts for the winamp, windvd, windows media 9, internetexplorer, rear view camera, tv and radio programs.
I tried using MediaEngine from
http://www.mediaengine.org/
It has a fewbugs but its descent and comes with the source code.

I used a double din face plate that I modded.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Beamm

aight, another Q for you Murmann...did you just decide to chuck CD play capability? What do you do if you're travelling with a friend who has a CD they just have to hear? Can you get at the PC well enough to put the CD in and is it a real PIA?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:24 PM
murrman100

The cd/dvd a slot loading (no tray) is in the flip down pocket behind the passenger seat.
Just pop in the cd or dvd and it plays it automatically.
The default player is winamp3.
I haven't painted it yet. Its still the old plain vanilla white color. Maybe next weekend.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 AM
DMD

Please post some pics, I am planning on doing a similair install...
Old 12-14-2003, 11:08 AM
pulpz2

Has anyone mounted a PC in the sub compartment behind the drivers seat?

Also, has anyone had any problems with hard drive vibration?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:10 AM
hybridart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read some posts somewhere here where someone had done this...they claimed it worked out ok. other posts i've read had laptops in there running their systems...and to fix the battery life on those, they put a docking station under the seat or somewhere for the laptop to plug into the car battery power.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:16 AM
DMD

Default Power

When you use an inverter does it still use power if the car is off and the computer is off? Where is the best place to hardwire in a invertor, which wires to use, if you want to place the comptuer in the glove box behind passenger seat.

Thanks for the info...will post pics once I complete my setup.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Jbooe

im really a newb here, but a quick question. i dont want to use touchscreen for a pc but only as a screen to view dvd's. how would i be able to connect that to my dvd player since it is usb connected?

sorrie i have no idea about these things
Old 12-16-2003, 02:34 PM
ECKZLNT

Default Re: Power

Originally posted by DMD
When you use an inverter does it still use power if the car is off and the computer is off? Where is the best place to hardwire in a invertor, which wires to use, if you want to place the comptuer in the glove box behind passenger seat.

Thanks for the info...will post pics once I complete my setup.
it all depends on how you wire it. Personally I would use a relay, and get he power from the battery, but only have power to it when the car is on.
actually, if it is for a computer, I would use one of those shutdown controllers, they have them at www.mini-box.com along with dc-dc power supplies, so you don't even need an inverter.

im really a newb here, but a quick question. i dont want to use touchscreen for a pc but only as a screen to view dvd's. how would i be able to connect that to my dvd player since it is usb connected?

sorrie i have no idea about these things
The video in is not really a usb connector. It has the standard RCA cable in, it's just that connect to the screen with a USB type connector. If you are only using it for DVDs, there are other LCD screens on the market that do not have a VGA in, that are much cheaper
Old 12-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Jbooe

can you help me out and let me know what decent models are out there that will fit the car?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:43 PM
murrman100

This is what I use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=3670&rd=1
It works nice without the hassles of a power inverter.
I used a 400 watt inverter for a bit and this works better and it a lot smaller.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 AM
ECKZLNT

Originally posted by Jbooe
can you help me out and let me know what decent models are out there that will fit the car?
The best advice that I could give you would be to read this forum (Audio/Video/Security/NAV/Radar), and check what other members have used, and what they have to say about them. Searching is what I used to find the one I needed, and it will point you in the right direction for you.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 AM
ZZZealous007

I dont understand any of the power stuff!! I plan on having a 3.5 hd, slim DVD rom, regular DVD rom, Wi-fi, GPS, mini itx mobo, and some USB stuff.

I want to wire the computer so that i can run it off the 12DC in the car AND also be able to remove it quickly and hook it up at home.

What would I need?? I want to conserve as much space as possible. I aslo have an old PSU, if that helps?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:04 PM
pulpz2

Originally posted by murrman100
This is what I use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=3670&rd=1
It works nice without the hassles of a power inverter.
I used a 400 watt inverter for a bit and this works better and it a lot smaller.
murman,

What type of mobo are you powering with this 120W dc-dc ps? I was thinking about a micro-atx mobo instead of the mini-itx.

Also, anyone have thougths on putting two dc-dc supplies in series to double the power?
Old 12-18-2003, 08:42 PM
murrman100

Right now, I have a k7t 6350 micro atx mobo in a plexi case that I made myself.
Next month, I'm changing to the smaller itx mobo. Its less scalable than the micro atx but a lot smaller. It will fit in the x-bose sub compartment behind the drivers seat. Less heat as well.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that you can double your power by running dc/dc together.
It will take the drain away from each power supply but put more drain on your battery .
BTW.
What do you want to do with that kinda setup????
Just curious??!! I like fun stuff!!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:42 AM
pulpz2

murman,

Why are you converting to the mini-ITX mobo?

Sounds like the audioforge PS120W with a micro-ATX mobo will do the trick.

I have a few things in mind. First of all, I want to use a PC based GPS system. A friend uses the Delorme system (~$130 @ http://www.delorme.com/) on his laptom and likes it better than the stock NAV system in his Accura MDX. Does anyone know of a better PC based NAV system?

Secondly, I'm in the process of archiving all of my music CDs onto hardrive. This archive will be on my home PC but I will be able to access it via wireless lan on the car PC when I am at home. This will require 1 PCI slot for the wireless LAN.

Finally, I may also archive my DVD collection on my home PC. Then I can simply download selct movies onto the car PC for road trips (passenger entertainment only - who wants to watch a movie while driving a Z?!?!).

I haven't shopped around for a new head unit yet but I'll need something with an audio line in from the PC sound card. I can't wait to get rid of the stock hu.

I'm not sure what kind of sound card I will use. Right now I have a Soundblaster Live Value in one of my home PCs tha I might use temporarily. This requires a second PCI slot.

I have a TV tunner card I may install also. Third PCI slot.

My shopping list so far:

CPP AMD Athlon XP-2500 $95.50

M/Board ASUS A7V8X-MX KM400 DDR Aud+Vid+LAN Micro-ATX $67.00

HDI Hitachi 120GB 7200rpm IDE 8MB Buffer (U100) $98.50

Doesn't include the supplimental input devieces (wireless key board, mouse or maybe a trackball - not sure yet), the Lilliput 7" VGA display, or powersupply. I have an extra 512MB of DDR RAM so thats not a problem.

I'm going to mount the mobo and PS in the sub compartment using some sort of customized bracket. IF I can't come up with something myself (dremel) I know a guy that owns a machine shop so I may just design a mountiing bracket and have it professionally fabricated.

I just want to make sure the install is well engineered, clean, while using minimal space and weight.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:10 AM
ZZZealous007

Default power?

Originally posted by pulpz2
murman,

What type of mobo are you powering with this 120W dc-dc ps? I was thinking about a micro-atx mobo instead of the mini-itx.

Also, anyone have thougths on putting two dc-dc supplies in series to double the power?

Im not sure if hooking 2 DC PSU's will double power. If u can solder u may be able to mod the 120 -> 240. Similar to the way "audioforge" modded the 60-> 120.

Speaking of Audioforge, would his PSU work with a minit-itx board?

I plan on getting the M10000 Nehmiah...

pulpz2:

I hear Copilot 2003 is good too. YOu will have to hack the serial input if you want it to work with any other GPS receiver besides copilot. Alot of people use different recievers to get quicker refresh rates and to get more data which they can log and apply to any map. Software like copilot tries to keep their customers from using other recievers besides theirs, BUT there are ways around it. You can find the programs/code for this hack easily with a google search.
Delorme makes a good GPS receiver. Quick refresh rate and stable.

YOu also may be able to save yourself some money if you get the mobo i mentioned above. It only has 1PCI slot but u can add more using an adapter for a 1 to 3 conversion.

good luck!

edit: I think you guys may get a kick outta this http://www.clearpc.ca/secretagent/images/f.jpg

Last edited by ZZZealous007; 12-19-2003 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:09 PM
pulpz2

Default Re: power?

Originally posted by ZZZealous007
Im not sure if hooking 2 DC PSU's will double power. If u can solder u may be able to mod the 120 -> 240. Similar to the way "audioforge" modded the 60-> 120.

Yeah, I over simplified the circuit a bit. I think you are right. The current drawn by the mobo will be spilt between two power supplies thus reducing the current drawn from each by a factor of two while maintianing the same voltage levels. I guess this would be a parallel circuit.

Speaking of Audioforge, would his PSU work with a minit-itx board?

According to the ebay link above it will. It doens;t say anything about micro-ATX so that is why I was asking.

I plan on getting the M10000 Nehmiah...

pulpz2:

I hear Copilot 2003 is good too. YOu will have to hack the serial input if you want it to work with any other GPS receiver besides copilot. Alot of people use different recievers to get quicker refresh rates and to get more data which they can log and apply to any map. Software like copilot tries to keep their customers from using other recievers besides theirs, BUT there are ways around it. You can find the programs/code for this hack easily with a google search.
Delorme makes a good GPS receiver. Quick refresh rate and stable.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still looking around because I would liek to find agps system supported under LInux so I dont have to use Winblows.

YOu also may be able to save yourself some money if you get the mobo i mentioned above. It only has 1PCI slot but u can add more using an adapter for a 1 to 3 conversion.

Yeah, I am thinking about it too but for the extra $100 bucks it maybe worth while to have the extra processing power plus the extra PCI slots and an AGP. You never know when you may want to pop off a few fraggs while in a trafic jam.

good luck!

edit: I think you guys may get a kick outta this http://www.clearpc.ca/secretagent/images/f.jpg

It was fuuny but why is a spy hanging out at a NIssan dealer?

Quick Reply: Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen