Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 05:00 PM
CopperZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m having problems with the laptop in the glove box. I have to open it (the screen) to get to the power button. I was thinking of putting it under the seat? Any idea’s on how to install something like this other then the seat and taking it in and out every time.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:40 AM
murrman100

What kind of laptop is it?
Does it have any kind of docking bay or port that you could hook it up to?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:49 PM
CopperZ

Originally posted by murrman100
What kind of laptop is it?
Does it have any kind of docking bay or port that you could hook it up to?
its an HP omnibook xe2. I dont have a docking station for it. I will look for one. But what does the docking station do?? Another problem that happened twice already, when i get into my car that has been sitting for a while, the laptop will not boot, it shows me a black screen that says: "drive error , press ctrl+alt +delete". did you have any problems with starting on a cold day? (it was about 35F today in Chicago) I started the laptop while i was driving and i thought it was the shaking that was preventing the start. But then i got home it started, so i shook the hell out of it and windows xp started with no problems ( i even dropped the comp about 4ft while it was starting on accident AND IT STILL STARTED!!!)
Old 01-12-2004, 02:30 PM
DMD

Just put the lilliput in my car, looks unbelivable, the touch screen is great and coupled with a Earthmate GPS system I have GPS...I could not be happier, if anyone is considering buying a lilliput I highly recommend it. I wish I had a digicam to show you guys pics. Maybe I can borrow my friends and post some pics. I have a very clean install, but I did have to open the lilliput case and discard the front.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

How is glare in direct sun? That is one of the things I'd worried about with the Xenarc.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
pulpz2

Originally posted by DMD
Just put the lilliput in my car... I have a very clean install, but I did have to open the lilliput case and discard the front.
Is it mounted in the NAV compartment or did you pull the hu from the double DIN?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
CopperZ

i ordered my screen today $300 for everything. It has to come from Hong Kong so it should take a while to get here.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:51 PM
DMD

I put it in the NAV compartment...looks great, minimal glare. I got mine from Hong Kong also, through the ebay guy...worked perfect. I haven't tried direct sun as today was overcast in Cinci.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:11 PM
zpylot

Those of you that put your screens in the NAV compartment I have a question. Did you start with a nav screen there already and swapped it our for the new screen? Or is your car without the nav option and you put the screen in the non-nav compartment?

I am asking because I have a 2004 non-nav roadster. After reading numerous posts I decided to install a Xenarc Touch screen. I bought it, took my dash apart in prepartion of installing the screen. The non-nav compartment is all one unit with the door. There is no place to mount the screen. I am assuming this is because Nissan changed the non-nav compartment to the non-motorized door for the 2004 models.

So is there anybody out there who has installed the new screen in a non-nav car that I can talk with? I am in need of some help. My first thoughts are to by the non-nav compartment for a 2003 Z. Anybody know the part numbers for that?

Anybody got some ideas for me?

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:47 PM
CopperZ

Originally posted by zpylot
Those of you that put your screens in the NAV compartment I have a question. Did you start with a nav screen there already and swapped it our for the new screen? Or is your car without the nav option and you put the screen in the non-nav compartment?

I am asking because I have a 2004 non-nav roadster. After reading numerous posts I decided to install a Xenarc Touch screen. I bought it, took my dash apart in prepartion of installing the screen. The non-nav compartment is all one unit with the door. There is no place to mount the screen. I am assuming this is because Nissan changed the non-nav compartment to the non-motorized door for the 2004 models.

So is there anybody out there who has installed the new screen in a non-nav car that I can talk with? I am in need of some help. My first thoughts are to by the non-nav compartment for a 2003 Z. Anybody know the part numbers for that?

Anybody got some ideas for me?

Thanks for any and all help.
i just put in my screen today. It was a Non-nav. Its a 2003 T. I dont know about the 2004 model, but when you take out the whole assembly (radio, nav compartment, 3 gages) you should be able to remove that empty box. there are 4 screws that hold it in. Where do you live i can help you puit it in. I got the Lilliput touchscreen and i love it. its amazing..... I will post some pic's latter.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 PM
genbo

What Lilliput model number is being used on the 350Z in the Nav compartment area. I'm looking for a VGA monitor. Not too sure if I want the touch screen.

Been looking around on the net and I have seen a few different
model numbers. Some of these are just video displays and not monitors.

Any other suggestions?

regards, Perry
'03 SilverStone Performance
Old 01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
zpylot

Originally posted by CopperZ
i just put in my screen today. It was a Non-nav. Its a 2003 T. I dont know about the 2004 model, but when you take out the whole assembly (radio, nav compartment, 3 gages) you should be able to remove that empty box. there are 4 screws that hold it in. Where do you live i can help you puit it in. I got the Lilliput touchscreen and i love it. its amazing..... I will post some pic's latter.
I am in Sacramento, CA. I have the non-nav compartment out. But after reading many threads I have come to the conclusion that Nissan changed the design of the non-nav compartment from the 2003 to 2004 models. It is all one piece after taking the four screws out. Here are two pictures demonstrating what I am talking about. I don't see how to take apart the compartment so that I can mount the screen. The fold up door is integrated into the box. I hope I am being stupid and missing the obvious.
Attached Thumbnails Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen-dsc01624.jpg  
Old 01-27-2004, 10:31 AM
zpylot

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen-dsc01627.jpg  
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM
zpylot

Pic 3
Attached Thumbnails Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen-dsc01623.jpg  
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM
zpylot

Pic 4
Attached Thumbnails Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen-dsc01626.jpg  
Old 01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
genbo

Pic 4
I've been following the threads also. Getting ready to add a screen to my '03. The nav door set up you have pictured is different from mine.

Take a look at this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=55441

It shows the setup you have. (and some recomendations)

This page shows the door setup simular to the one I have.

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

From what I've seen, it looks like the the second of these is the one that works the best.

What type of screen are you putting in? I'm thinking of the Lilliput, but not too sure which model the guys have been using.

Another idea I came up with was the screen from a Toshiba Libretto laptop......nice size, good resolution...but not the best in bright light conditions. It would sure fit in easily.

regards, Perry
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

oh it's only -32 C here today.....glad you asked
Old 01-27-2004, 01:18 PM
zpylot

What type of screen are you putting in? I'm thinking of the Lilliput, but not too sure which model the guys have been using.

oh it's only -32 C here today.....glad you asked
I bought the 7" Xenarc touch screen. So now I need to goto Nissan and get either the 2003 non-nav compartment, or the 2004 nav compartment. Sorry it's so cold there.

Thanks on those two links. The second is indeed what I have. It has that ugly felt on it too.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:50 PM
CopperZ

I bought the 7" Xenarc touch screen. So now I need to goto Nissan and get either the 2003 non-nav compartment, or the 2004 nav compartment. Sorry it's so cold there.

Thanks on those two links. The second is indeed what I have. It has that ugly felt on it too.
I can agree that you will need to get the 2003 one. Sorry, man i know how you feel. take everything apart just to find that it cant work.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:55 AM
genbo

Originally posted by CopperZ
Can you tell me the model number of the screen you bought and where you bought it from?

619GL-70NP, 618GL-70NP or ?

Not too sure what the differences are.

Looking to do the mod on my Z also. The Canadian dollar is up right now which makes it a great time to buy toys from the States.

regards, Perry
Old 01-28-2004, 02:02 AM
genbo

Just out browsing the Liiliput site.

The last line on this page http://www.lilliputweb.net/rd.html
says "Any ideas for improving and developing products are welcomed and will be highly appreciated."

So I sent em a suggestion........ ..... make a bolt in monitor for the 350Z. They already have the screen. Just make some new plastic that is 350Z friendly.

I'd buy one. Maybe if they get enough requests.

Quick Reply: Cheaper 7" VGA touchscreen