Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Cubby Hole question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Pete5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Cubby Hole question

Ok, so I was planning on getting a sound system and remove the Blowse system. My original plan was to remove the bose sub and in that area put the amps. Then I got to thinking that I could dress the inside cubby hole and amps and modify the speaker grill to put a piece of plexi glass (with vent holes drilled, of course) so you can see in. The "dress up" of the hole may be a real pain in the A$$ so another thought was to put a glove box in (considered an OEM room for amps?). Here are my questions:

Will a glove box "just fit" into the hole? And as I saw an issue earlier in this forum, will there be any interference with USDM (just the box, not the door) going behind the drivers seat, or does it have to be JDM (where the right seat is the passenger side)?

Will the panel with the bose grill snap into place with a glove box installed in the hole instead of the speaker? In other words, will the glove box stick out at all, or cover the fasteners that the bose grill uses and prevent it from latching in its original plugs?

Anyone think this is a good idea?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
carbon z

The only way to get these answers is to DO IT! Looks like you're the engineer.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Pete5150

Hey thanks. That sounds like a great idea. Before I rip crap out, i'd like to know the shapes and sizes from someone who has already taken that stuff out. And maybe it'll be good to know before I buy a glove box and discover the hard way it's the wrong one. But again, thanks for playing and helping the forum.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Is there any particular reason you want to buy a second glove box enclosure?

--Spike
Old 01-29-2010, 05:44 PM
raycs7

Mods will be required.
there are other posts on this.
It is probably easier to use multiple subs.
In my case I never use the glove compartment..
I kinda like my Bose on my touring ZR but my track/GT conversion= a custom Eclipse NAV setup with dual hidden subs..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Pete5150

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Is there any particular reason you want to buy a second glove box enclosure?

--Spike
Yea. I was going to use the "room" where the bose sub is to put my amps and install a sub most likely under the strutbar. Instead of just cramming them in there i was thinking of putting carpet, or something to make it look nice and have a window to see in. Then I thought if I put a glovebox in with a few bolts, the job is made easy. That is why I was asking if a glove box would just fit in there. Or do I have to get the Japanese one since everything is opposite? And finally, will I be able to snap on the speaker grill cover that my z came with over the newly installed glove box instead of the hinge door?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM
carbon z

The reason I answered the way I did is. I removed The Bose Sub and amp from that area. I built a box for a 10 in Kicker comp in that spot and use the stock speaker cover. My amp is under the drivers seat.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
bogie1519

It may not help or matter. But i replaced my stock bose sub with a after market
10in sub and put both amps one for the sub the other for the other four speakers in the enclosure behind the drivers seat sounds great. once you get the amps set where it sounds good to you its kinda set it and forget it.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Pete5150

Originally Posted by carbon z
The reason I answered the way I did is. I removed The Bose Sub and amp from that area. I built a box for a 10 in Kicker comp in that spot and use the stock speaker cover. My amp is under the drivers seat.
Thanks Carbon Z. I may have been too harsh as well! Sorry. How do you like the sub in that location? I heard that it doesn't sound as good as in the trunk and there were many complaints in the forums about rattles by putting a powerful sub in that enclosure. Any pictures of the box building?