Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

7" in upper Cubby (again)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
usgpru27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7" in upper Cubby (again)

OK.. I have read about every post I think on the subject of mounting a Kenwood L702 screen in the upper cubby.I am new to the Z and to AV. I have seen "the Duke" install that was for only Nav and its really nice. I really want the Kenwood V500 car portal system. I like its flexible and that it has a stealth factor. I do want the LCD to be full function. So if I have this correct I have a few options?

1. Purchase the 03 cubby and modify but will not have the lower buttons? (not a good option as I want the screen full function and do not like a remote. Should this be an option is just the Service Nissan cubby needed or the entire panel.. Is it the correct color for an 08?
2. Purchase a NAV dash and install into that. I see this and it looks really clean. My understanding is that obviously the factory Bose NAV buttons and such do not work.. Why not take all that out and make a filler in place of the buttons? If done correctly wouldn't that gain enough space for the lower LCD buttons? Yes some custom work but appears to have more room. I would imagine there is some panel mounting under it but I would bet that can be worked out. I would think the panel would be secure without it. As I have the standard radio and not the Bose I think its smaller. I would prefer to have a shop create a filler for the stock radio in the NAV dash also.
3. Have someone cut the hell out of my 08 cubby. Sounds like a real mess. Again must loose the panel mounting under the inner cover to have any chance at access to the lower buttons. There appears to be another mount deeper in.

I am just trying to see what direction to go to start planning. I am not interested in the 4.3 screen. Just to small I think for full use.

I think that this may also be a solution. (while again I do NOT like the external screen) I could remove my stock radio.. place the 702 there and use it as a full function. Put a multi CD in the back.. I think it has a radio tuner and I am getting XM or HD radio.. With the NAV box I should be set. My only requirement would be I want the steering wheel controls to work.. Volume at a minimum.

I sent Spike a PM to spike with some questions and he was nice enough to respond and sent me to the various threads on this subject. Big ISSUE!

In addition to this I will have the following: Focal component front, Focal coax rear (I know they do not do anything but I like them set low for a more full feeling)( I am 47 years old so not looking to blow the windows out) JL or other 4 channel and do Sub. I-POD and USB for music, 6 disc changer maybe but may just load eveything on I-pod or Memory stick. Rear view camera and front (nismo spoiler is tough to park) So not a crazy set up but LOVE the Kenwood unit as it ties everything together in one spot and I can expand as I want.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your suggestions, opinions and suggestions.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to go that route but, I think Im just going to put a navi in the cubby... The one i want is a navi, and it plays audio/video, and looks like it has Windows... It's a 5.5" screen, but that wouldn't really bother me..
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by usgpru27
OK.. I have read about every post I think on the subject of mounting a Kenwood L702 screen in the upper cubby.I am new to the Z and to AV. I have seen "the Duke" install that was for only Nav and its really nice. I really want the Kenwood V500 car portal system. I like its flexible and that it has a stealth factor. I do want the LCD to be full function. So if I have this correct I have a few options?

1. Purchase the 03 cubby and modify but will not have the lower buttons? (not a good option as I want the screen full function and do not like a remote. Should this be an option is just the Service Nissan cubby needed or the entire panel.. Is it the correct color for an 08?
2. Purchase a NAV dash and install into that. I see this and it looks really clean. My understanding is that obviously the factory Bose NAV buttons and such do not work.. Why not take all that out and make a filler in place of the buttons? If done correctly wouldn't that gain enough space for the lower LCD buttons? Yes some custom work but appears to have more room. I would imagine there is some panel mounting under it but I would bet that can be worked out. I would think the panel would be secure without it. As I have the standard radio and not the Bose I think its smaller. I would prefer to have a shop create a filler for the stock radio in the NAV dash also.
3. Have someone cut the hell out of my 08 cubby. Sounds like a real mess. Again must loose the panel mounting under the inner cover to have any chance at access to the lower buttons. There appears to be another mount deeper in.

I am just trying to see what direction to go to start planning. I am not interested in the 4.3 screen. Just to small I think for full use.

I think that this may also be a solution. (while again I do NOT like the external screen) I could remove my stock radio.. place the 702 there and use it as a full function. Put a multi CD in the back.. I think it has a radio tuner and I am getting XM or HD radio.. With the NAV box I should be set. My only requirement would be I want the steering wheel controls to work.. Volume at a minimum.

I sent Spike a PM to spike with some questions and he was nice enough to respond and sent me to the various threads on this subject. Big ISSUE!

In addition to this I will have the following: Focal component front, Focal coax rear (I know they do not do anything but I like them set low for a more full feeling)( I am 47 years old so not looking to blow the windows out) JL or other 4 channel and do Sub. I-POD and USB for music, 6 disc changer maybe but may just load eveything on I-pod or Memory stick. Rear view camera and front (nismo spoiler is tough to park) So not a crazy set up but LOVE the Kenwood unit as it ties everything together in one spot and I can expand as I want.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your suggestions, opinions and suggestions.
2 is by far the most expensive option, but IMO it looks far better than anything else. That is the route that I took and it looks 100% OEM. I like that because it lessens the chance of the car getting broken into by someone who sees that you have an aftermarket system.

If you haven't seen it already, here is a write up on mine:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...r-install.html
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
usgpru27

Jekl, Yes I did see your install and I was very impressed.. Questions if I may..
1. Is there a reason to spend the money on the button filler.. looks like its a few hundreed$ could a custom filler not work as well?
2. I see your control buttons on the LCD are not shown. If modification to #1 could they show?
3. Is the Bose factory radio the same size as my non bose unit and or will it need a filler?

Thanks and great install.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Voboy

option 2 is the best. custom filler should not cost that much... ask a stereo shop to quote you, but remember it needs to filled location needs to be removable so you can install/reinstall the whole console. (screws holding it in will be behind that area)

to answer your 3rd question. OEM bose and non bose radios are the same size.

Last edited by Voboy; 02-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 AM
usgpru27

Thanks Vo.. Man this really is a bummer. Shame on Nissan Designers. They did not have the incite to make it just a little larger. Have they never been to SEMA? I guess it is odd that people want to put an industry standard screen in the middle of the dash.. But what the hell its just as good for a pack of smokes or sunglasses..
Old 02-13-2010, 05:59 AM
JEKL

Jekl, Yes I did see your install and I was very impressed.. Questions if I may..
1. Is there a reason to spend the money on the button filler.. looks like its a few hundreed$ could a custom filler not work as well?
I really don't like the aftermarket look. That is what kept me from replacing the BOSE with a double din. This gives that OEM look and as Voboy said, it provides easy access to the screws if you need to take the console bezel off. Is it worth several hundred dollars? Probably not, but I was in a position to afford being as **** as I am.

I am not sure if I mentioned it in my write up or not, but in addition to the navigation buttons, there is a piece if filler trim that mounts on top of the buttons. Make sure you can aquire that if you go this route.

2. I see your control buttons on the LCD are not shown. If modification to #1 could they show?
I am not 100% sure the '03-'05 cubby will even mount up to your console bezel. I do know that the texture and/or color of the '03-'05 is different from the '06+. So it would look a little odd having a different color cubby door. The entire bezel from the '03-'05 will not fit the '06+ either.

As far as the buttons on the screen go, they are pretty useless IMO. I have had it in for about a year and never needed them. I can't even remember what they do anymore.

3. Is the Bose factory radio the same size as my non bose unit and or will it need a filler?
I am almost positive that Voboy is correct. I just don't know enough about the non-BOSE to be 100% sure.

Thanks and great install.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 AM
3FIDDYZED

I had a custom housing for my 702 made up

Used the housing that comes with the 702 and had it glassed in and then covered with a carbon fibre overlay.

Easy to remove too when the car is parked and the screen put in the cubby.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by 3FIDDYZED
Your steering wheel is on the wrong side of your car.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
MrWatchDawg

lmao ^^^ gag
Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I can shed some more info for you. First if you want to get the KOS product make sure you do it in the next couple of months. It is being phased out. No more is being made, only what is left in inventory is going to be available from here forward. The KOS does have built in tuner and does have the capability for steering controls via a third party adaptor. The 03-05 cubby will not work with the 08 models, you are better off getting a 08 Nav. The navigation for the KOS product is also going away, only what is out there right now is what is left. There is a new KNAG610 Naviagtion that is coming out in the next few weeks, but it does not work with the KOS product. There is really no need to access the buttons as JEKL said, since the monitor is touch screen. Everything is done via the touch screen. Hope this answers some questions.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
I think I can shed some more info for you. First if you want to get the KOS product make sure you do it in the next couple of months. It is being phased out. No more is being made, only what is left in inventory is going to be available from here forward. The KOS does have built in tuner and does have the capability for steering controls via a third party adaptor. The 03-05 cubby will not work with the 08 models, you are better off getting a 08 Nav. The navigation for the KOS product is also going away, only what is out there right now is what is left. There is a new KNAG610 Naviagtion that is coming out in the next few weeks, but it does not work with the KOS product. There is really no need to access the buttons as JEKL said, since the monitor is touch screen. Everything is done via the touch screen. Hope this answers some questions.
I just want to clarify though... one annoying gripe about the KOS. Navigation is not via touchscreen. (You cannot switch to navigation via menu) You must use the remote control and use V.select. After that the Navigation menu's are touchscreen. To get back to the KOS interface, you must again use the remote control's V. Select button. Makes me wonder why there is a navigation button on the KOS in the first place.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
THEDUKE

The reason it has Navigation on the menu screen is because if you hook up the XM/NAV traffic module to it, you must be in the Navigation menu source in order to listen to the XM radio via the XM/NAV traffic module(GXM30). This was not only the case with the KOS product, but with all the older Multimedia units. The new Multimedia units to not have a V.Sel button which everyone complained about. Now that they do not have it everyone complains why did kenwood take it away. I believe if you fully understand the V.Sel button it is a very important feature. It lets you watch any video source on the screen while you listen to another source. If I wanted to watch a DVD video on the screen and wanted to listen to Sirius radio I could, on the newer Kenwood units without the V.Sel feature you cannot do that. Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
usgpru27

Ok guys thanks so far! Great stuff.. I have come to the conclusion that its best to just take my factory radio out and put in the screen in that location. Not such a bad thing I guess. It seems like I will have all the features I want in one package. My reason for the cubby install (like most I assume) is to have the NAV in that area. On the V-500 unit I see it has a video and audio out. Could this be used for the nav in a smaller 4.3 screen in the cubby?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
usgpru27

Sorry again guys I am an AV idiot. This is all new to me so thanks for your patients.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM
THEDUKE

Sorry, but since the KOSV500 is older Multimedia product it does not have the function of sending the Navigation out the Video output to another screen.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
usgpru27

Thanks Duke and all.. I have the information to make further choices.. You guys are a great help. Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

usgpru27, I’ve been following your thread here and I think I understand your dilemma. I believe your main concern (and please correct me if I’m mistaken) is this: Fitting a 6.5” to 7” LCD in the upper/forward cubby of your 2008 Z.

Here are some thoughts:
  • The upper/forward cubby is a great position for a 6.5” to 7” LCD screen. It’s certainly the best position for GPS navigation and/or a rearview camera.

• Forget acquiring a 2003 console since it won’t fit your 2008 model Z, and is the wrong color. It will only make the job more difficult.

• You could buy the stock navigation mount, but you don’t really need this expensive part to mount your screen.

• You can fit a 6.5” or 7” LCD in the upper/forward cubby of your 2008 Z. This requires a minor amount of custom fabrication. CarPC enthusiasts do this with good results. A good audio shop can install the monitor (and make it look like OEM). The requirement is only good custom fabrication so that your screen mount doesn’t look “pig boat.”
Alpine and Kenwood both offer solutions (a headrest LCD monitor tied to your GPS navigation “blackbox”). THEDUKE mentions that Kenwood is replacing current devices, and I’m not certain how you configure the new Kenwood products.

--Spike
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Hi Duke, Does the new KNAG610 Navigation device work with any Kenwood headrest or standalone LCD’s, or is it only functional with Kenwood DD H/U’s and single-din H/U’s with flip-up LCD's?

--Spike
Old 02-20-2010, 06:51 AM
usgpru27

Spike, Thank you for following this thread and your previous PM. You are correct on all fronts. My plan is to get the entire Car Portal system. Being it is outdated (but MORE than fits my needs) it is very cost effective. It appears that in a worse case I would need to send my console out to a recommended shop to have the screen mounted. Not a problem.
My final question would be with this mount would access to the bottom buttons be available or would they be covered up. If I understand correctly these buttons are not really needed as you control everything via the screen. What are they for and what work arounds would be required?
Thanks again. I know this is a lot of questions but I want this to be right.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 7" in upper Cubby (again)