Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe I remember when Punch went down the pooper
Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
1GR8350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about sub placement? Is it more effective for it to face the front or rear. I really would like to do something custom.

So far, I'm definitely going with my Focals up front and will do the tweeters in the A-Pillar.

Looking into used subs that were mentioned as the new ones suck

That MB Quart Amp has excellent reviews but I think I intend to go JL Audio 300/4 on components and 500/1 should take care of the Sub sufficiently,correct?

How much does matting the door panels help? I have seen mant of the custom pods and do they really help or are they more for look?

Again, thanks for all of the help, guys.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
What about sub placement? Is it more effective for it to face the front or rear. I really would like to do something custom.

So far, I'm definitely going with my Focals up front and will do the tweeters in the A-Pillar.

Looking into used subs that were mentioned as the new ones suck

That MB Quart Amp has excellent reviews but I think I intend to go JL Audio 300/4 on components and 500/1 should take care of the Sub sufficiently,correct?

How much does matting the door panels help? I have seen mant of the custom pods and do they really help or are they more for look?

Again, thanks for all of the help, guys.
I can tell you first hand that matting the door panel will help some but it will NOT get rid of rattles. When I swapped over to kick pods it was not only a night and day difference in imaging... but AMAZING to hear no more rattles.

I prefer kick pods over door pods since you don't have to do any modification to the door. Pods are not for looks, they help with imaging and are louder considering the door panel isn't blocking the speaker anymore.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by blasian
I can tell you first hand that matting the door panel will help some but it will NOT get rid of rattles. When I swapped over to kick pods it was not only a night and day difference in imaging... but AMAZING to hear no more rattles.

I prefer kick pods over door pods since you don't have to do any modification to the door. Pods are not for looks, they help with imaging and are louder considering the door panel isn't blocking the speaker anymore.
Do you have any pics of your kick pod set up?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Agreed… but…Yes and No on kicks vs. door pods.

For sure, kicks (obviously, since this mount is not in the door) eliminate the rattle you get when mounting quality speakers in the stock door mounts.

But, a proper door pod mount also eliminates “door-panel rattle.”

I’m not a fan of kicks since they are always in the way of the driver’s and passenger’s feet. The Z is a tight compartment.

Door pods only interfere when entering/exiting the car, and that is only the case when you are unable to swing the door widely when entering or exiting.

--Spike
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM
blasian

Do you have any pics of your kick pod set up?

It's a horrible picture that I took months ago

Originally Posted by Spike100
Agreed… but…Yes and No on kicks vs. door pods.

For sure, kicks (obviously, since this mount is not in the door) eliminate the rattle you get when mounting quality speakers in the stock door mounts.

But, a proper door pod mount also eliminates “door-panel rattle.”

I’m not a fan of kicks since they are always in the way of the driver’s and passenger’s feet. The Z is a tight compartment.

Door pods only interfere when entering/exiting the car, and that is only the case when you are unable to swing the door widely when entering or exiting.

--Spike
Sorry if I was unclear... I wasn't referring to door pods when it came to rattles. I meant that if he put the speakers in the door (stock location), it will still rattle. I have no experience with door pods so I cannot say.

Kick pods aren't that much of a interference, at least not the ones I have.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
I'd definitely utilize that 9835. I had one when I did the first system in my Z and I loved it; great headunit!
I finally thought to see if you had a build thread and WOW, I see why you're telling me to go with the oldie. I had done some research on your MacIntosh unit a while back and its so awesome to see it in a Z. With the exception of the Alpine 7990 thats like my dream HU. Silly me didn't even realize they made amps of such high qualiy also.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
1GR8350Z

It's a horrible picture that I took months ago

Sorry if I was unclear... I wasn't referring to door pods when it came to rattles. I meant that if he put the speakers in the door (stock location), it will still rattle. I have no experience with door pods so I cannot say.

Kick pods aren't that much of a interference, at least not the ones I have.
I like that a lot and if 16psi brick's kicks are still available in a month after a few more paychecks,lol. I might have to splurge. Then, I could just put my Focals in the rear location
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 AM
blasian

I like that a lot and if 16psi brick's kicks are still available in a month after a few more paychecks,lol. I might have to splurge. Then, I could just put my Focals in the rear location
You can buy kicks from 16psibrick, you just have to ask. They're made on a needs basis and not mass produced
Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I finally thought to see if you had a build thread and WOW, I see why you're telling me to go with the oldie. I had done some research on your MacIntosh unit a while back and its so awesome to see it in a Z. With the exception of the Alpine 7990 thats like my dream HU. Silly me didn't even realize they made amps of such high qualiy also.
Thanks. I'm often told I have an "old soul" in the way I carry things out. I guess I've applied that to my sound system equipment choices as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Thanks. I'm often told I have an "old soul" in the way I carry things out. I guess I've applied that to my sound system equipment choices as well.
That's what I call "Kwame" status
Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by dave079
I just got that amp last week. It freaking rocks. I am amazed at the power it pushes out. For the $160 I paid for it there isnt a better deal out there.
That's an insane price.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 AM
blasian

yeah still trying to decide the sub i am going to use for it for two of the channels bridged. I am thinking a 10w3. I have two of the channels unbridged on my doors right now and i only have the gains a quarter or less of the way up.
idq 10
Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM
blasian

Are they much better than the W3?
Depends on what's considered much lol. They are known for SQ with pretty good SPL. They're better than JL IMO. Also, when it comes to retail pricing, a better value.

I'm not the biggest fan of JL though, not because they make bad products because that's definitely not true. They're just better products out there for the same price. Typically though, JL is probably the best mainstream stuff one can get locally lol
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM
blasian

Yeah I will look into these then. The price point is good. Noticed the box size is a good bit smaller than the W3 needs also.

The price is close the the W3 also because I can get a W3 for $140 shipped which is a very good price.
Yeah I've never really priced JL online and it's not too shabby compared to what it cost in stores.

I wanted to get an IDMAX but figured it's overkill after having a W7 in the Z and I'm trying to save space