Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

2004 Touring, Non Nav, Car PC Install.. LCD Where?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 AM
jmorgan6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Touring, Non Nav, Car PC Install.. LCD Where?

I've built a car PC for my 2004 350z. My original plan was to purchase a 2003 Cubby and install a 7" lilliput/xenarc in that location.

The cubby install seems to be the norm, the only times i've seen a touch screen in the Double Din Radio location is when they already have nav or a touch screen in the cubby.

Why? I've been looking at pictures, and it seems having it in the radio location it be much much easier to access/use then having it in the cubby.

What is everyone's opinion.

1.) Purchase 2003 Cubby, install LCD here.

2.) Install touch screen in place of Bose Radio(Will all 7" screens mount in a double din-- I haven't found much info on which ones will mount in a double din radio hole).

The computer part is nearly complete. Athlon 5600+, 4 gig ram, 250GB Sata, Gentoo Linux, nghost frontend, navit GPS all working.

Anyway, any suggestions please let me know. I am going to purchase the LCD this week. It just looks like using the touch screen in the cubby is a long reach for me(5`11), while sitting comfortably in my seat. Is it not?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 AM
duro78

Do you know how big a double-din radio(l,w,h) compared to a lcd screen is? Theres no way your gonna be able to fit a DD in that cubby slot without MAJOR modifications. Your not gonna be able to run the touch screen feature on all applications it can only be used to adjust the basic features of the screen itself. Your also not gonna be able to run a pc off of of one of those 7 inch lcds the format isnt compatible. You need to do a lot of research because more than half of what you want to do cant be done or can be done with with major work
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM
jmorgan6

What are you talking about Duro?

The install of a 7" LCD in the upper cubby hole(2003 model cubby), is very, very common. Many people run windows, mac, or linux boxes and connect to a 7". There are plenty of front ends designed for a 7" touch screen. What do you mean I need to do more research? The screen is not too small. Have a look at mp3car.com, there are tons of 350z projects.

I was talking about putting a 7" Touch screen in the location of the Bose Radio. You're telling me that's not possible, without heavy modification?

I know it's possible to put the screen in either the upper cubby, or in the location of the radio. My question was why does everyone seem to choose the cubby over the radio location. Sitting in my car, it appears accessing the touch screen from the radio location be much easier then from the cubby.

A touch screen connected to a computer has full functionality, I don't know what you are talking about having limited screen functions only..

I don't think anything of what I wanted to do required heaving modification, but if im mistaken please let me know.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I’m not sure what Duro78 is saying, but I think I understand your question. The upper/forward cubby is very receptive for mounting an LCD screen.

Viewing Standards
  • Ergonomic studies determine that 20 degrees or less downward angle for driver viewing of instrumentation is optimal. That’s the case with positioning of the speedometer and tachometer in the majority of cars. Research also shows that a slight left or right diversion isn’t significant if the downward angle is 20 degrees or less. You can mount a screen for viewing while driving in the Z’s upper/forward cubby and remain within the optimum viewing angle.

• What does that mean? If you install anything in the car that you constantly monitor (divert your eyes from the road to read an instrument, gauge, or GPS screen), the object should be no lower than your car’s speedometer position. A little to the right or left is OK, but not lower.

• The double-din slot in the Z requires about a 40 degree diversion for viewing. That’s a little low for the “standard.”

Operational Standards
  • The Z’s optimum setup obviously favors a male driver. My shirt sleeve length is 32”, and my trouser inseam length is 32”. That makes me about the average for males, and I have no problem pressing on the touch screen in the Z’s upper/forward cubby.

• A female has a higher waist, longer legs, and shorter arms; so she will do a little more reaching to operate a touch screen in the Z’s upper/forward cubby. But, that arrangement is much safer than dropping the operational/viewing screen lower to the double-din position (which requires a greater downward sight line diversion).

• I’ve tried it both ways (double-din slot and upper/forward cubby), and my experience is the upper/forward cubby is much better for viewing and operation.

When you finalize your decisions and do the installation, please post some pictures and a narrative. That helps us learn. Thank you for taking the time to start a good thread on my350z.com.

--Spike
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
jmorgan6

Plan on posting a project post when I get started on the install. The details of my hardware/OS install are on mp3car's forum. I didn't think many people on this forum would find that worthwhile. Gentoo is interesting..

Thanks for the reply Spike, that's what I was hoping for. People that made the decision, and why. I hadn't thought about the 'field of view' aspect, but it does make sense. I've just sat in my car and thought which way was easiest to touch the lcd while sitting normal. I'd have to lean forward some to reach the cubby, I think.

Now I just have to select my screen to use for the cubby. Decisions, xenarc or lilliput;x.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorgan6
[…] I've just sat in my car and thought which way was easiest to touch the lcd while sitting normal. I'd have to lean forward some to reach the cubby, I think.

Now I just have to select my screen to use for the cubby. Decisions, xenarc or lilliput;x.
You are correct. I ran the same drill today, and notice that I must reach a little to touch the screen in the upper/forward cubby slot. The stock Clarion navigation uses buttons along the finishing piece on the lower border of the screen. That makes it easier to reach the controls for this device.

I hadn’t noticed this much because I use a handheld remote to operate the components. I know the button positions by “feel,” and my remote has a small thumb paddle that I use most of the time. I only need to look at the screen.

The Z’s double din slot is closer and more convenient for touching a screen or buttons. The disadvantage is its lower position for safe viewing while driving.

I’m afraid I cannot provide help with the screen selection. Both screens you mention are very good.

I’m looking forward to seeing your build.

--Spike