Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help choosing double din

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Bulleh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing double din

Before you decide to flame, I swear on my dogs grave I did countless hours of research on my350z.com, google, crutchfield and even eBay. I resorted to posting a new thread because... I just can't find the one that fits my needs and need some help. This is a community right

So I want a nice double din, without the hefty price. I'm looking to spend between $300-450 (maybe a little more if I can figure out how to install myself, but I've never done audio work...ever).

I use navigation A LOT, so I would prefer a decent GPS system built in. I don't need an iPod hook up, but would prefer it. My base 03 sound system is by far the worst stereo system I ever had in a car, so I'm going to try to get some decent speakers for it. I would like something that provides enough power for the two front speakers. I'm also planning to get a free air sub for the stock sub location. I read enough here on the audio forums to know that it's not worth the effort and probably will sound like crap, but I just want a little bump in my music. If possible, I would like something that could power that, but I think I'll need an external amp to any type of sub.

I would also would just prefer a 7" touch screen but I'm open to anything at this point. I don't care about bluetooth, HD radio, back up camera etc etc, but if it's a good deal, heck I'll consider it.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 AM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, if you're looking for something new in that price range... You're not going to find it... If this is the case, you can look for one of the cheapy/lower end brand DD's... Like, Valor, Performance Teck, hell maybe even a Jensen...

If you want something a little higher end, try looking for something used, but in good condition... I was a Kenwood fanboy for years, but as soon as I bought my first Alpine for the Z... I fell in love all over again!... LOL...

Imho, I think you should look for a nice little Alpine DD... Some of them use a GPS that you can actually take out and use without the DD unit(Blackbird)...

Below is a link to someone selling an Alpine DD(IVA-w205...I think) Check it out...

https://my350z.com/forum/socal-marke...ift-bosch.html
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 AM
laxplaya1385

I'd suggest checking out craigslist in your area. It's gonna be tough finding a good double din for your price range.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Bulleh

I see. Is it the navigation feature that makes it out of my price range? What kind of double din can I be expecting to find in my budget?

I appreciate the input... No wonder I couldn't find a double din with everything I wanted... lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Bellaco

from what ive found (looking for a DD myself) the built in navi does add quite a hefty price. ive pretty much decided to go with a unit that does not have navi built in to save some dollars. i have free navi on my blackberry anyway.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM
biznut

Dude I just got this, it kicks ***. Sure its an off brand, but it does everything I need and more! GPS is nice. Cost me $280 after bing cashback!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
biznut

I've attached some pics of it installed! Controls my iPod touch which I have hidden under my passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing double din-photo.jpg   Need help choosing double din-photo-5.jpg   Need help choosing double din-photo-4.jpg   Need help choosing double din-photo-2.jpg   Need help choosing double din-photo-3.jpg  

Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Bulleh

That's a really nice set up you got there, Biznut. Did you install it yourself? How's the quality of the double din.

I was searching for reviews for a bunch of eBay brand double dins but couldn't really find any. Definitely want to know how you like it. Thanks for the pics! looks great.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by Bulleh
Before you decide to flame, I swear on my dogs grave I did countless hours of research on my350z.com, google, crutchfield and even eBay. I resorted to posting a new thread because... I just can't find the one that fits my needs and need some help. This is a community right

So I want a nice double din, without the hefty price. I'm looking to spend between $300-450 (maybe a little more if I can figure out how to install myself, but I've never done audio work...ever).

I use navigation A LOT, so I would prefer a decent GPS system built inI don't need an iPod hook up, but would prefer it. My base 03 sound system is by far the worst stereo system I ever had in a car, so I'm going to try to get some decent speakers for it. I would like something that provides enough power for the two front speakers. I'm also planning to get a free air sub for the stock sub location. I read enough here on the audio forums to know that it's not worth the effort and probably will sound like crap, but I just want a little bump in my music. If possible, I would like something that could power that, but I think I'll need an external amp to any type of sub.

I would also would just prefer a 7" touch screen but I'm open to anything at this point. I don't care about bluetooth, HD radio, back up camera etc etc, but if it's a good deal, heck I'll consider it.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Derfinately will not find something new in that price range. Should be able to pick up a used Kenwood Excelon DNX 8120 for around $600. That is a quality H/U unit that offers alot of features. It has 7" touchscreen. IPOD, NAV etc

Last edited by xzotklr; 07-10-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: edit highliting
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
devildriver421

Originally Posted by xzotklr
Derfinately will not find something new in that price range. Should be able to pick up a used Kenwood Excelon DNX 8120 for around $600. That is a quality H/U unit that offers alot of features. It has 7" touchscreen. IPOD, NAV etc
Not true...
Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
JVC Arsenal KW-ADV793
Sony XAV-70BT

all come in in the 400s No built in nav though
Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Bulleh

Originally Posted by devildriver421
Not true...
Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
JVC Arsenal KW-ADV793
Sony XAV-70BT

all come in in the 400s No built in nav though
Not true that it cant be found for $600 or that it's not the only quality double din?

If those units have no built in navi, how much am I looking to spend to get the parts to have navigation?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 AM
devildriver421

That it can't be found in that price range. I'm not sure off the top of my head, just do a search for the nav add-ons. Alpine also makes the w505 which is about $600 and the nav is around $200.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM
biznut

That's a really nice set up you got there, Biznut. Did you install it yourself? How's the quality of the double din.

I was searching for reviews for a bunch of eBay brand double dins but couldn't really find any. Definitely want to know how you like it. Thanks for the pics! looks great.
Thanks! Yea I did it by myself! The quality is superb, and I highly recommend it! For $280, its a steal. Also, this has WinCE based maps, so you can even install TomTom or Garming GPS navigation on here if you wanted to, but it comes with iGo 8 maps preinstalled.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by devildriver421
That it can't be found in that price range. I'm not sure off the top of my head, just do a search for the nav add-ons. Alpine also makes the w505 which is about $600 and the nav is around $200.
is it that cheap NOW!!!

or please show me a link
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Bulleh

Originally Posted by biznut
Thanks! Yea I did it by myself! The quality is superb, and I highly recommend it! For $280, its a steal. Also, this has WinCE based maps, so you can even install TomTom or Garming GPS navigation on here if you wanted to, but it comes with iGo 8 maps preinstalled.
Awesome. Took me a little while of research but I pulled the trigger on one of those erising double dins. I got a 7" with basically the same features as yours. I was wondering, does the double din recharge your ipod as well? Any chance you have instructions on how you installed this particular double din on your Z?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM
devildriver421

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
is it that cheap NOW!!!

or please show me a link
http://www.topedgeonline.com/Product...tCode=IVA-W505
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
biznut

Awesome. Took me a little while of research but I pulled the trigger on one of those erising double dins. I got a 7" with basically the same features as yours. I was wondering, does the double din recharge your ipod as well? Any chance you have instructions on how you installed this particular double din on your Z?

Thanks for the help!
Nice. But keep in mind the 7" is motorized, so it may not sit as flush as mine does. As for the instructions, you'll need a metra harness (if you have BOSE its 7551, I believe). You just match up the wires, pretty simple.

Dash Removal:
http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

An issue I had with the installation, answered by the board members:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...ml#post8507119

Enjoy! Post up pics when you're done! Lmk if you have any questions!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Bulleh

Originally Posted by biznut
Nice. But keep in mind the 7" is motorized, so it may not sit as flush as mine does. As for the instructions, you'll need a metra harness (if you have BOSE its 7551, I believe). You just match up the wires, pretty simple.

Dash Removal:
http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

An issue I had with the installation, answered by the board members:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...ml#post8507119

Enjoy! Post up pics when you're done! Lmk if you have any questions!
Almost forgot about this thread. I was waiting on my H/U to come in and although DHS came by today I still need to wait till tomorrow before I get it. I'll be ordering the metra harness and trying it out. I haven't had any experience before so I really hope I don't mess it up... I also have a non-bose, so I'm hoping install goes easier

Does the metra or H/U come with some sort of instructions?

Last edited by Bulleh; 07-20-2010 at 12:22 AM.