Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stock HU

Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock HU

I remember reading a few thread about how those stock headunits suck. Now i try to find those threads but can't find no more The very first time i turned up music in my 350z, i noticed the sound is really bad.. is this caused by the stock headunit? If i replace with like..Pioneer single din, then would it improve the sound by alot?
Also, i heard that when you change the stock HU, you need new speakers on the back of the seat because they have high resistance around 40 ohms(?). Is this true?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:53 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You obviously don't need to read the old threads to see that there's something wrong with the system in your Z. Pick a new HU, some quality speakers, get them installed and your good to go.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO the "best" part of a really bad system is the headend. The biggest complaint is that the CD player fails often.

The speakers and amplifier of the Bose systems are very poor quality. VERY poor quality. Since rather than follow industry standards for such things Bose has their own if you're going to change out the system you should change it as a whole and be able to add the features you want to your system like GPS navigation, bluetooth, or iPod connectivity.

Even a system that you pay $500 for is going to sound head-n-shoulders better than the Bose.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

He doesn't have the Bose (05 Performance) so that's not an issue.

I started by replacing my OEM speakers (non Bose too) with some Infinitys and that made a huge difference to start. Eventually I replaced the OEM HU with the Kenwood - mainly for features, not so much the quality of sound. It IS a sports car afterall. There's only so much road noise you can cover.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
He doesn't have the Bose (05 Performance) so that's not an issue.

I started by replacing my OEM speakers (non Bose too) with some Infinitys and that made a huge difference to start. Eventually I replaced the OEM HU with the Kenwood - mainly for features, not so much the quality of sound. It IS a sports car afterall. There's only so much road noise you can cover.
That's true. The road noise is so loud that i don't know what i'm listening too haha.
I can't really afford the whole new sound system so i was thinking just getting maybe pioneeer, kenwood, or JVC HU because the stock HU suck. ALso because i'm low on money, i need to install myself and changing speakers will be challenging. How much did you buy the infiniti speakers? The one's behind your head?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Actually, I replaced the door speakers and sail-panel tweeters with some Infinity Kappa Series. I don't recall the actual price but it was just in the $250 range IIRC.

The doors are easy to change out, you actually use the old speaker as a spacer for the new one after gutting them. The speaker hole for the OEM tweeter can be drilled out and the new speakers can replace them.

Once installed, I just balanced the sound mainly to the front speakers and don't really worry much about the rears (behind the driver's head). Once I put in the Kenwood HU, I did the same tuning to ignore the rears.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:10 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Actually, I replaced the door speakers and sail-panel tweeters with some Infinity Kappa Series. I don't recall the actual price but it was just in the $250 range IIRC.

The doors are easy to change out, you actually use the old speaker as a spacer for the new one after gutting them. The speaker hole for the OEM tweeter can be drilled out and the new speakers can replace them.

Once installed, I just balanced the sound mainly to the front speakers and don't really worry much about the rears (behind the driver's head). Once I put in the Kenwood HU, I did the same tuning to ignore the rears.
Can you recommend me one from this list? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...7&in_stock=yes

Last edited by JDMStanced; 07-24-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I can't really make a recommendation as I have no experience with any of those. One problem you have to watch for is if the speaker will actually fit. Some are too deep to fit behind the door panel and not intefere with the window operation. You have to verify with others here with what they have installed and fits.

Here's some Infinity speakers similar to the ones I have.

Notice how they have separate tweeters. That allows you to mount them in the OEM location. Of course, you can always do the coaxial speaker and the OEM tweeter will be disconnected.