Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

ALPINE HELP!! Service/repair/tech/issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
6894kevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ALPINE HELP!! Service/repair/tech/issue

Ok, so I bought an Alpine INA-W900 with the bluetooth/backup camera/wheel controls/park bypass/10 sub and amp. With the help of a a friend got it all installed and it worked great for 1 DAY!!!!

Everything works on the Unit except for the navigation! I removed the red power line from the battery for a few min, and the unit allowed me to access navigation for about 10 min and the froze the system. I then reset the unit useing the front reset button. And now I cant access any part of the Nav system. The font two nav buttons dont do anything and it doesnt matter how many times I reset the unit.

I ordered it from Amazon, but because of my work it took me a few weeks to get around to installing it with my friend. Im awaiting amazon to contact me about a replacement but according to them, Im past the 30 day return. Im so Fuc*ing mad right now. I cant believe i have all this $ tied up and im stuck.

PLEASE ANYONE WITH A CONTACT TO ALPINE LET ME KNOW
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Alright now… take a deep breath…. eliminate the emotion and let’s work towards a solution.

Im so Fuc*ing mad right now” won’t help here at all, so get past this and we can do a fix.

So that I have this right, the H/U is working except for its navigation feature. And, the navigation part worked briefly, and then stopped working. Do I have this correct?

Here is the reason your navigation is not working: You navigation antenna is messed up. It is either installed incorrectly or wired wrong to the H/U. You only need to fix the antenna problem to restore navigation function in your H/U.

--Spike
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
6894kevin

I pulled it all out and everything is wired right. The antenna wire was pinched slightly but it wasn't cut just kinda smashed a bit. If its the wire, where do I get a new one?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 PM
idkorcare

I havent personally seen it but I have heard of issues with that radio randomly shutting off/locking up/ or the nav screwing up. I use to be an Alpine radio fanboy but their indash system look the same as 10 years ago, have the pickiest issues with ipod, and their quality if anything seems to slowly going downhill. Plus you can usually get more for your money with a Pioneer or Kenwood.

Last edited by idkorcare; 08-05-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 AM
6894kevin

Now that you mention it "idkorcare", I cant get the Ipod to play the movies stored on the ipod. Not sure why it wont play. but thats the only other issue I have had. Everything I read said it was a good unit. Can you explain why Kenwood or Pioneer would have been better???
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM
idkorcare

First off I have sold all 3 brands for the last 10 years so I am somewhat familiar with them all and Alpine does still tend to sound the best. But when you get to the indash units Id go with Pioneer or Kenwood. This year Kenwoods head units look as nice as the Pioneers and their nav is using Garmin software(menus and everything are identical to Garmins portable units) and thier Bluetooth is Parrot(who are one of the most popular Handsfree companies). Pioneers, I have 2 f700bts, and 1 f900bt and with easily hacked software they works just as well as current units and I only paid about 150-250 for each of those.

One other big thing is the Alpine is a wiring nightmare compared to the other 2 and the only one that has a separate box(bluetooth), all the others are self contained. Last but not least Alpine always seem to be the unit that has problems with Ipod updates.

If I remember when I get to work Ill check on the nav issue to see what it was exactly. I work at Best Buy and we have a company forum that all the installers can access so several thousand installers have discussed it on there lol.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 AM
6894kevin

Thanks for the advice, but I'm invested for now. Do u known where I could get a replacement antenna. And do you think that's my issue?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM
6894kevin

Where Can I Buy A Replacement Antenna For the Nav?

ANYONE?
been looking and only found an ebay one but not sure if it will work with the ina-w900
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM
idkorcare

im pretty sure its not the antenna. I just put one on display today and you could still get into the nav with it unplugged. I also search if anyone had posted an issue similar to yours and came up with nada. Most of the issues were bluetooth related other than one comment about the system completely resetting when using the nav. At this point I would just call Alpine first.

Contact Alpine USA
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
19145 Gramercy Place
Torrance, CA 90501
Tel: (310) 326-8000

Customer Service
(800) 421-2284 Ext.860304
or
(800) ALPINE-1 (1-800-257-4631)

Audio Products Technical Support
(For Authorized Alpine Dealers Only)
(800) TECH-101 (1-800-832-4101)

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. P.S.T.
Fixed & Portable Navigation Technical Support
(888) NAV-HELP (1-888-628-4357)

Other Useful Links: Locate a Dealer (US or Canada), Parts, or Service Repair.

Alpine Electronics of Canada, Inc.
777 Supertest Road,
Toronto, Ontario M3J2M9
Tel: (416) 736-6211
Old 08-07-2010, 05:06 AM
6894kevin

Thanks, I just recieved an e-mail from for the place i bought it from, and they are willing to exchange it. So I hope it works out.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:42 PM
orgasm_donor

Lets see, the Navi doesn't work and it doesn't play video from the Ipod? Have you tried to play a DVD? It sounds as if the video bypass piece you are using is not programmed properly or wired incorrectly(PAC's TR-7 is the bypass of choice). If this is not programmed or wired properly then you will not get some video and menu functions.

Just a thought.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 AM
6894kevin

I havent checked the DVD since the NAV stopped working. Ill go home and try it. I did install the TR-7 and it was working fine. If the DVD doesnt play Then I'll check the TR7 to see if its all wired correctly and the connections are tight.

Thanks man

Kevin
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 AM
idkorcare

Nav should still function no matter what the TR7 is doing. I didnt both with any of the bypass wires on our display and you can still get to the nav.I dont think even if you hooked up the TR7 wrong it could cause the problem you are havin.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
6894kevin

Well i spoke to someone where I bought it yesterday, and they are going to take the unit back and exchange it for a new one. Hopefully it will all be out and shipped back on WED. Love the unit and the features, just a Pain in the A$$ that the nav quit working. But thankfully i got it from a good place that is willing to exchange it for a new one.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
6894kevin

Just got it back in the car. THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!!!

ONE Question???????????
Anyone know how i can play my movies that are saved on my I-Pod in the HU? says its playing the movie, but the screen is black?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:29 AM
6894kevin

Went for a Drive last night and the NAV isnt working again!!!!!! the Nav function keys dont do anything.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
orgasm_donor

If the screen is black during Ipod movies, you may need to check your Ipod settings in the menu. I can't remember what you need to do for Alpine but usually is an Ipod A/V input 'on' setting' or something like that. If Navi is not working, you need to check the antenna. I would suggest taking the deck out and bench testing everything out of the car. Just make sure the GPS antenna can see sky.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
idkorcare

You can still access the GPS without the antenna hooked up at all so that should not be the issue.

Did they swap the radio or repair it?

As far as ipod video playback. Does it say "picture off for your safety" or have you tested your bypass with a DVD? Otherwise its probably just a setting like donor suggested. I can check tomorrow if you still havent figured it out.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM
6894kevin

I AM FED UP WITH THIS SH1TY ALPINE UNIT

Ok so to recap the 1st one i bought lasted about 7 hrs till the Nav started to freeze up. I took the unit out and checked ALL connections and found nothing wrong. I re installed it hooked battery up and NADA!!!!!

The company i bought it from gladly replaced the unit and i received the 2nd one and installed it on SAT! By Sat Night the Nav again stopped working. If i got the Nav to respond at all it would only show the disclaimer and the (language keys) and (I Accept) keys would not even come on the screen to choose. I reset the unit and again checked all connections. Again Nothing happened.

So, I decided to track one down at a local Best Buy. I checked every connection and wire before i tested the unit with out mounting it to the center tower. The Unit worked fine for again about 5 Hrs, and again the unit started to do the exact same thing.

I took the unit back to Best Buy and the install tech stated (I have heard of nav problems with that model and know of one that wouldn't work at all). So I shipped the 2nd one back to the on-line dealer for a full refund and also took the one back to Best Buy!!

I tried to contact Alpine and the voice menu they give yo hangs up on you and doesn't allow you to speak to anyone. The menu also gives the wrong date and states they are out of the office. If thats how they run a company I dont want anything to do wit them

ANY!!!! SUGGESTIONS!!! For BT/Nav/DVD/ipod/ unit is welcomed, just tell me whats good and bad!!!!!!!!!

(ALPINE)(ME)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM
idkorcare

Kenwood or Pioneer. The new kenwoods are pretty clean and Best Buy carries it. Pioneers are not bad either and they have an awesome site for support and hacks www.avic411.com

Personally I would go with one of the non motorized faceplates with a slighly smaller screen. It will probably last longer and run you about 300 cheaper than the Alpine. If I had to choose I would probably go with the kenwood. DNX6160 garmin nav, parrot bluetooth, easy to bypass.

Quick Reply: ALPINE HELP!! Service/repair/tech/issue