Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Where is the best amp ground loaction in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
dirty z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the best amp ground loaction in the back?

I just bought a sub and amp and im trying to find a good place to ground the amp in the back but so far im very unsuccesful. Ive tried searching with no success :\\
I just need some good locations to wire the ground wire to the amp in the rear.
THANK in advance!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts
Default ground

heres some tips..

DOnt use a factory bolt hole, ie has any sort of welded nut. Welds create high electrical resistance.
So dont just loosen one of our handy 10mm bolts you see verywhere and slip a rung under it. Its fine for normal stuff, but for amps its not good. Can induce noise all sorts of stuff.

Also, make sure you take a scotch brite pad and scuff your chosen ground down to bare metal. I do it on both sides, the car AND the ring terminal. I assembled a ring connector to the trunk floor this way using a 10mmm nut and bolt. I added electrical sparkplug contact grease between the surfaces before ia ssembled them.. and then cleaned the area again after install.. then sprayed paint over them.. thats overkill, but actually the most thorough way to do it.

I run a 10farad cap and lots of juice, so it was necessary.

I have a feeling that you arent finding good ground simply due to the issue of the selaing paint.. scuff it down and youl be golden.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
heres some tips..

DOnt use a factory bolt hole, ie has any sort of welded nut. Welds create high electrical resistance.
So dont just loosen one of our handy 10mm bolts you see verywhere and slip a rung under it. Its fine for normal stuff, but for amps its not good. Can induce noise all sorts of stuff.

Also, make sure you take a scotch brite pad and scuff your chosen ground down to bare metal. I do it on both sides, the car AND the ring terminal. I assembled a ring connector to the trunk floor this way using a 10mmm nut and bolt. I added electrical sparkplug contact grease between the surfaces before ia ssembled them.. and then cleaned the area again after install.. then sprayed paint over them.. thats overkill, but actually the most thorough way to do it.

I run a 10farad cap and lots of juice, so it was necessary.

I have a feeling that you arent finding good ground simply due to the issue of the selaing paint.. scuff it down and youl be golden.

Everything he said!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
HeLLSaTaN

I use the bolts behind the seats. they work fine. sdZ33 is right except for his band-aid farad cap
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM
duro78

^^Caps are for noobs
Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
dirty z

Hey guys thank! I just sanded down a bolt and now I have a perfect ground.
But wouldnt u know it my amp is dead. It keeps saying protective mode and I cant get it off of that FML!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
idkorcare

I havent used a factory bolt for ground.....ever maybe...or at least 8 years or so. The main idea is that you want the ground short as possible and most of the time your not going to be lucky enough to be near a bolt anyway. On top of that you want to be able to get down to bare metal. You can do it just most of the time its not optimal. Most DIYers dont have a drill or would most likely drill through thier gas tank. My favorite is when they ducktape the groundwire to a bolt or attach it to their trunk lid..... actually I had a guy the other day grounding his radio to his key ring when it was in the ignition, that was scary.